+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The French Open

Wow AI! I didn't get to see Venus. I did see part of the Nadal match and he is truly impressive. Plus, he's a lefty just like me. I can't help liking him.

I can't believe how much Nadal has improved this season, ranking at number 2 just behind Federer, wow!

But go Federer! He's still my favourite!

As for WTA, I hope Lindsay wins! (she's the same height as me, go tall girls!)

Phew, Justine is through to the fourth round in a three sets victory over Anabel Medina Garrigues. She'll have to play better against Svetlana Kuznetsova in the next round. Hopefully she'll beat Svetlana because I would love to see a Justine vs. Maria Sharapova matchup in the quarterfinals.

It looks like it could be a possible five setter between Ferrero and Safin. Too bad I don't have ESPN2 and local coverage doesn't start until 12PM .

Many women's matches today with Nadia Petrova, Justine Henin-Hardenne, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Maria Sharapova, and Elena Bovina all advancing. However today Nathalie Dechy and Tatiana Golovin were both eliminated.

We have some great matches coming up including:

Lindsay Davenport v. Kim Clijsters, Mary Pierce v. Patty Schnyder, Elena Dementieva v. Elena Likhovtseva, Nadia Petrova v. Elena Bovina, & Svetlana Kuznetsova v. Justine Henin-Hardenne.

I have ESPN2 and they havn't even started coverage yet.

I think NBC has the coverage this weekend unfortunately. I'm really looking forward to Clijsters/Davenport.

Safin's through to the round of 16! Tall, dark, handsome and Russian. That's a killer combo

Of course, Venus had to be all sour grapes in the press room after she lost. You know, whenever someone complains about being ill or injured, I think of that US Open Sampras won where he was barfing and doubled over, leaning on his racket between points. It was incredible. It's all about having heart.

I hate NBC's coverage too Mariner. The best ever coverage of any tennis event was back in the day when HBO had Arthur and Billie Jean and Martina commentating Wimbledon. It'll never get better than that.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by K-Len
    Phew, Justine is through to the fourth round in a three sets victory over Anabel Medina Garrigues. She'll have to play better against Svetlana Kuznetsova in the next round. Hopefully she'll beat Svetlana because I would love to see a Justine vs. Maria Sharapova matchup in the quarterfinals.

It looks like it could be a possible five setter between Ferrero and Safin. Too bad I don't have ESPN2 and local coverage doesn't start until 12PM .
    I think Maria Sharapova is an amazing player. For the guys, my favourite player is Andy Roddick or Roger Federer. They are amazing to see live. I went to the Masters, I think, in Toronto and it went really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Safin's through to the round of 16! Tall, dark, handsome and Russian. That's a killer combo . . . I hate NBC's coverage too Mariner. The best ever coverage of any tennis event was back in the day when HBO had Arthur and Billie Jean and Martina commentating Wimbledon. It'll never get better than that.
    ESPN2 is showing the Ferrero/Safin match right now. I want to hug whatever producer did the lead in to the last segment on ESPN. They included a clip of Safin dropping trou. *sigh* Who can resist a tall, dark, and immature man?

Critical, I loved the HBO Wimbeldon coverage. I'm sad they no longer carry the early rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    ESPN2 is showing the Ferrero/Safin match right now. I want to hug whatever producer did the lead in to the last segment on ESPN. They included a clip of Safin dropping trou. *sigh* Who can resist a tall, dark, and immature man?

Critical, I loved the HBO Wimbeldon coverage. I'm sad they no longer carry the early rounds.
    I can't believe I missed that Mariner! When I turned on the coverage - or, rather, what was supposed to be the coverage - they were showing women's field hockey!

I Marat. He makes me miss Boris less.

Federer vs. Moya on Sunday should be a good match. I'm looking forward to the Davenport - Clijsters match too.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I caught a rebroadcast of Saturday's day match with Ferrero/Safin and I must say it is one of the best matches I have seen in a while. I am usually not a fan of men's tennis but it was nice just to see some clean and hard paced tennis.

I couldn't believe that 3rd seed Amelie Mauresmo was eliminated in three sets. Does she ever win any majors? She always has some hype about her winning and she has a high ranking but she never pulls through. I would like to see her pull one out.

Some really good women's matches today, all of which I missed . 21st seed Mary Pierce beat Patty Schnyder (8) in three sets. I really would like it if Pierce was able to pull out a win here. Lindsay Davenport (1) beat two time runner-up Kim Clijsters (14) after dropping the first set. Did anybody catch the match? It must have been really good. And in an upset Elena Dementieva, last years runner-up, lost to Elena Likhovtseva (16) 7-6, 5-7, 7-5. And finally 15-year-old Sesil Karatantcheva, who beat Venus yesturday went onto win today's match againest Emmanuelle Gagliardi. Keep in mind this is her first French Open. This girl has got quite the future.

On the men's side Federer beat Moya, Canas advanced, and Nalbandian lost.

Some great matches coming up. Davenport to face Pierce and Karatantcheva to face Likhovtseva.

Hope you all are enjoying!

ETA: Davenport, who has only reached the semifinals once here, broke a six match-losing streak against Clijsters. for her! I did hear that Clijsters really lost it after she started making a lot of errors.

ETA2: Don't you think they could have found some better pictures to use than these:

Last edited by AIWANNABE; 05-29-2005 at 01:01 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast