+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NFL Draft 2005

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben

NFL Draft 2005

NFC North

Since I'm a cheesehead (living in Chicago), I'll focus here primarily.

With the Brett Favre retirement talks now an annual event, I can always count on my friends who are Bears fans to laugh and tell my how the Packers will be crap once Brett is gone, and that they finally after all these years have a QB, their own version of Favre in Rex Grossman.

My only response was that with free agent QB turnover the way it is, that they'll plug the hole with someone, like Brees or Rivers. I wouldn't dare bring up Craig Nall or JT Sullivan as viable candidates.

Yesterday the Bears fans in the city of Chicago collectively groaned, and I ed.

PACKERS:
    •Their 2nd pick at FS/CB was far down the rankings for the position. I don't like Shermann, so I'll be watching that one.
    •Getting a WR with the 3rd pick seems foolish given their holes at OL and D, but the guy looks like a good one that could stick and give the Packers incredible depth in that area. It also may be a contingency plan in case they lose a free agent next year.
    •Those holes will be filled today, starting off today with picks 14, 24, 25 (rd4)& 42(rd5)

BEARS: Benson looks like the real deal, even though some liked Cadillac Williams more. The WR they got may not have been the best available, but should fill David Terrell's shoes easily. They should have traded A-Train to Arizona for a #2 yesterday, they might have bit.

VIKINGS: Great picks.

LIONS: Matt Moron took heat for taking M-Williams over other glaring needs, but it gives them great depth and an option NOW to trade one of them for a REAL QB, because eventually, you can't pay all 3 studs. Or maybe they should have grabbed Aaron.

PHILLY: steals a DE and picks up a potential 2nd WR option to Owens...or his temporary replacement
    WASH: whatever...the Burnell move last year is still costing them
    DAL: instantly stregthens a D. that was one of the top Ds 2 years ago.
    SF: beefed up their OL. If they can land a castoff RB like Ricky Wil, Alexander, Henry, A Train or one of KC or Denver's guys, they could be started in the right direction.
    SEA: busy busy off season. Where is their option for replacing Alexander?
    DEN: Clarett is a good gamble, but I prefer the Sproles gamble better.
    CIN: Wow! Solid D draft and a great addition to their WR corp.
    SD: beefs up the D, with a little help from Dr. Juice
    PITT: finally gets a TE, but they lost a lot of D to F/A
    BAL. what a WR turn around, and 2 angrymen for OL and DL. A 6-8 330 OT ? ouch! If Boller can produce, and see over that guy.....If they had a legit QB, I'd fly to Vegas right now.
    TENN: 2 WRs in Rd 3 ?
    ARIZ: mostly D ?

Vikings!

Honestly, the only draft I ever watched was when my friend Terrell (Suggs) was in it, and he went like 6th or something in the first round so I could turn it off fairly soon.

Ok be prepared ..
    I would not be surprised if Unk did not here me screaming Saturday night, clear on the other side of town, when my favorite team The Denver Broncos, who I have followed since one of my all time favorite Buckeyes, Randy Gradisher, was drafted. (I know I'm old) WHY OH WHY Mike did you pick that :nono %@*&^(@ Clarett. As a Buckeye who has lived the saga from day one I was so hoping that the Raiders would pick him or the very least the Packers. Right now I am seriously thinking of giving up my beloved Broncos and rooting for some other team. Maybe I will become a Dolfins or Bears fan. Seems they always have bad teams, maybe they could use another fan. At least with the Beras it would still be pretty much the same colors

Ok I'm done

Does anyone know why the QB from Oklahoma, (think his name is White....) who was the Heisman trophy winner last year, wasn't drafted? Also, Timmy Chang, Hawaii's QB wasn't drafted either.......
    kitty-cats rule!

I was surprised no one took a chance on Chang, who certainly can throw. Jason White just didn't project to being an NFL QB from what I read. He supposedly doesn't have the arm strength, and of course, he is older with an injury history.

Gutsy pick by Detroit in Williams. I liked it. He was easily the best player on the board at that point, and would have been #1 overall I think if he had played last year. Besides, Rogers is turning into a bust at this rate.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I have no idea what the Seahawks were doing. I was at the Mariner game yesterday afternoon waiting in line for a beer and everyone was talking about why you would draft a center in the first round. The bartender was almost comical about the whole thing.

I'm a KC Chiefs fan, and all I can say is that they took a guy named Craphonso. The way the Chiefs draft, every guy they pick should change his name to Craphonso.

I haven't seen Derrick Johnson (KC's 1st round pick) play, but from what I've read about him, that was a good pick at 15. Most people expected him to go in the top 10. A guy on Sportsline.com is already calling him the defensive rookie of the year.

They got a punter with their 2nd pick. Yeah, that was their most pressing need, alright. Their offense is so good that they don't even punt that much; how about getting more help on defense? Sheesh.

The Chiefies had two picks in the 5th round, and I was really hoping that they would use one of them on Adrian McPherson as their QB of the future. I know that isn't a pressing need, but that was 1st round talent at 5th round value. I think the Saints got a steal when they picked him. Mark my words, this guy is not only the best QB in the draft - he is better than Mike Vick. Think of Vick's athletic ability and arm strength with better passing accuracy - that's Adrian McPherson. And where Vick is a runner first and passer second, McPherson is a pocket passer who can run really well when he needs to, which is a better fit for the NFL. McPherson is also bigger than Vick. McPherson can stand flat-footed and throw the ball 70 yards - even Vick can't do that. Adrian slipped so far in the draft because he got kicked out of school for stealing some checks or murdering someone or something like that. But, seriously, he seems to have turned himself around and I don't think he was such a risky pick. He's been tearing up the Arena League since he got kicked out of Florida State. (He only played part of the AFL season but had 56 TD passes and only 5 interceptions and was rookie of the year.) I think playing in the AFL has been good for Adrian's development just like it was for Kurt Warner. His biggest problem is that as a fifth round pick, he may not get much of an opportunity to play.

As for Craphonso, he was a burner and a top-flight receiver at FSU until he was injured his junior year (a badly broken leg), then just had a so-so senior year. He could be a steal if healthy. If not, another wasted pick. The Chiefs draft a receiver every year and none of them ever amount to anything. I'm hoping this is different and I can wear my Craphonso jersey with pride.

I'm looking forward to football season! After doing nothing to upgrade the defense last year, at least the Chiefs are trying now. Bell, Sammy Knight and Pat Surtain were all big additions. Since KC traded its 2nd round pick for Surtain, you could factor him into the draft analysis and say the draft wasn't so bad after all - but they still could have done better with the picks they had.

If I seem a little miffed, it's because 1) the Chiefs wasted last season by not doing anything to help their defense in last year's off-season or draft - and their offense is great but not getting any younger so they are running out of time to put a decent defense together, and 2) the Chiefs haven't had a good draft in a long time and at first glance they didn't draft very well this year, either.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chach
    I'm a KC Chiefs fan, and all I can say is that they took a guy named Craphonso. The way the Chiefs draft, every guy they pick should change his name to Craphonso.

Well, they did make some pretty good offseason moves to help the D. It can't be worse than last year, can it?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUATMAN
    BAL. what a WR turn around, and 2 angrymen for OL and DL. A 6-8 330 OT ? ouch! If Boller can produce, and see over that guy.....If they had a legit QB, I'd fly to Vegas right now.
    My preseason pick from the AFC when I was in Vegas for the SB.

I haven't seen Derrick Johnson (KC's 1st round pick) play, but from what I've read about him, that was a good pick at 15. Most people expected him to go in the top 10. A guy on Sportsline.com is already calling him the defensive rookie of the year.
    I've seen just about every collegiate game he has played and he will be a Pro-Bowler period (barring any freak injury of course). Derrick Johnson is the most athletic linebacker to come out of college since Lavar Arrington and is more talented at his position than any player in the 2005 draft is at theirs.

Why the fall then?

1. He plays weakside linebacker. However, he could continue to fill out more and play strong side (he had already put on a bunch of weight without losing any speed).
    2. Hasn't proven that he can take on blocks well (needs to improve there..has the physical gifts and the resolve to do so).
    3. Missed Tackles. Derrick missed a lot of tackles. However, NFL GMs don't watch the games, and don't realize that for 3 years DJ was hampered by a horrible system where LBs are put out of position by mugging (standing the LBs up next to the d-lineman). By mugging the LBs, Texas effectively took them out of many plays as RBs would be past them before they blinked, and forget about trying to cover a TE from that position (the LB is instantly beat by a step or two). In the pros it will be noted that DJ's tackling ability is quite good.

I *believe* he led the nation in tackling each of the past 2 years. Combine the outrageous number of tackles he made, with his forced fumbles, and INTs and you have the most productive defensive player in college football the last 2 years. DJ is more than just a workout warrior.

As a Cowboys fan, I was hoping that the Cowboys would grab him. I knew he didn't fit what the Cowboys wanted to address first (converting to a 3-4 defense) because DJ is not used to playing in a 3 point stance (and shouldn't be put there). I'm just hoping that Demarcus Ware (Cowboys 1st pick) will also become a Pro Bowler.

+ Reply to Thread