+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Olympian Bill Johnson Charged With Assault

Olympian Bill Johnson Charged With Assault

PORTLAND, Ore. (Feb. 13) - Olympic ski champion Bill Johnson was charged with assaulting an officer and resisting arrest after punching a sheriff's deputy in the face during a traffic stop, police said.

Johnson was stopped in his pickup truck Friday by a Multnomah County sheriff's deputy and a suburban Troutdale police officer.

When the officers approached, Johnson pulled out his 1984 gold medal and taunted them by saying, "You don't have one of these," police said.

Authorities said Johnson threw his keys at Deputy Jeff Cordes, reached out his window, grabbed the deputy's shirt and punched him in the face. Johnson then refused to obey orders to exit the vehicle and lie on the ground.

Johnson was charged with assaulting an officer, resisting arrest and driving while intoxicated.

He remained jailed Saturday night, and was being held until arraignment Monday. Bail was set at $17,500.

When an officer tried to interview the 44-year-old Johnson in jail Friday, he lunged at the officer, grabbed him by the vest and tried to hit him, said Lt. Bruce McCain of the sheriff's office.

McCain said he did not know whether Johnson would be charged for that altercation.

The 1984 Olympic downhill champion, Johnson attempted a comeback to compete in the Salt Lake City Games. But he suffered a traumatic brain injury during a training run in March 2001 and was in a coma for three weeks.
    http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/ar...13050509990003
    ______________________________ ______________________________ _____
    Sounds like that brain injury must have cause permanent damage.

With a permanent brain injury, he should never be drinking. It sounds like this was not the first time.

He had his medal with him? 20 years later? Wow. Nothing like living on past glory, huh? In any story I've seen about him in the last 10+ years, I've gotten the feeling that he's never been able to get himself together. Very sad.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread