+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysluggo
    I definitely see your point. I just read the name Barry Bonds and I went off on my tangent, which has been building up all evening. Sorry for veering off-course.
    Ah, I didn't think you were off point at all. I'm pretty sure one of two things is going on with Barry. He is either suffering from some form of depression or he's adopting the ostrich strategy. If he's trying the second, he is mistakenly thinking that if he sticks his head in the sand not only will he not be able to see anyone else, they won't be able to see him.

Barry has kind of always gone his own way with the media. He knows most of them hate him and he reached the point a while back where he stopped caring. Now, they hate him because he is an aloof SOB in the way he treats them. Fair enough, but at the same time, it is not necessarily his job to be their friend.

I suspect what is going on now is that he just finished his third knee surgery in the last few months, and he knows he has a lot of rehab ahead. Even if he breaks the record, everyone will now say it was steroids even though he never tested positive for that. (Oh, and the widely reported story that in Grand Jury, he said he unknowingly took steroids is not accurate. The prosecutor questioning him suggested maybe he did, he denied it and continued to say it was flax seed oil (yes, I am laughing too), and it is all right there in the transcript they published, from an illegal leak). Jon Miller has tried to correct his fellow ESPN/Newspaper correspondants with the facts and they continue to report the same false information. Such is the steroid frenzy and their obvious desire to finally nail a very hated figure.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't think anyone did business with BALCO without getting a hold of the clear creme. But, until he gets indicted by the Feds for BALCO, or someone finds a positive test, then he is innocent. Perhaps OJ Simpson style innocent, but none the less innocent.

Secondly, he was the best player of his generation before any of this. Steroids don't help you make better contact with the ball, and they don't help you set records in terms of getting on base, which is the most important stat in baseball. If he took em, and I suspect he did, then he is still the best player of his generation, and one of the best of all time. Asshole or not.

I think he may be thinking/considering that hitting 700 HR's and a bookcase full of MVP awards, along with first ballot hall of fame may be enough for him, and that if he retires now, the old fart sports reporters will be happy he didn;t break the Babe's record. The issue will die out eventually.

Besides, most of the big bucks are supposedly in HGH now, which is undetectable in urine tests.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Has anybody seen what Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa looked like several years ago BEFORE they broke any records or anything? SKINNY. Like, really small.

It's soooo obvious I can't stand it.

I couldn't stand it 1998 when everyone fawned over McGwire and I'm sitting here going, This guy is such a cheater.

I don't respect any of their records or anything they've done in baseball if they've done steroids, before OR after. You cheat, you cheat. Period.

Well McGwire as a stick figure hit 49 home runs his rookie year.

Guys get bigger as they get older. They also get bigger when they do roids. The problem is, one doesn't prove the other, despite what Canseco thinks.

Barry Bonds weighed 20lbs lighter than he does now when he hit 73 HR's. I found that fact kind of interesting.

Nevertheless, I think all of those folks, and Sheffield and Giambi (obviously) for that matter, did steroids.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.

I agree, Bill.

It's just such a shame - I love baseball, I'm passionate about it, and it really bothers me to have that in the game.

Oh we are on the same page DJeter.

In Bonds case, I just think it is a shame because he didn't need it. He was already the best, and not by a small amount

First MLB steriod suspension goes out.

Just like in the NFL, you gotta be pretty foolish to actual fail the drug test.

TAMPA, Fla. -- Tampa Bay Devil Rays outfielder Alex Sanchez was suspended 10 days for violating baseball's new drug policy, the first player publicly identified under the major leagues' tougher rules.

Alex Sanchez
    Center Field
    Tampa Bay Devil Rays

2004 SEASON STATISTICS
    GM HR RBI R SB AVG
    79 2 26 41 19 .322

The suspension begins Monday when Tampa Bay opens its season against Toronto, the commissioner's office said Sunday.

Under the new policy that took effect last month, steroids and other performance-enchancing substances are the only drugs to draw a 10-day suspension. Baseball officials and the players' union agreed they would not disclose the exact substance for which a player tests positive.

Sanchez said he was surprised by the suspension, adding that he uses milkshakes and multivitamins to build his energy -- and blaming the positive test on something he bought over the counter.

"I'm going to fight it, because I've never taken steroids or anything like that," said Sanchez, who was released by Detroit in mid-March and signed by the Devil Rays.

Sanchez, 28, who hit .322 with 19 stolen bases in 79 games for the Tigers last season, said he was drug tested while he was with Detroit. He was to be the Devil Rays' center fielder on opening day.

Devil Rays general manager Chuck LaMar said the team would have no comment on the suspension.

"It's suprising," manager Lou Piniella said. "That's all I have to say on that."

It already had been an emotional month for Sanchez. The center fielder was reunited with his mother for the first time in 11 years in mid-March. Five days later, he was released by the Tigers.

Sanchez left Cuba on a raft 11 years ago, leaving his family behind. On March 10, Sanchez reunited with his mother and brother in Miami, where he has a house with his wife and twin boys. Sanchez's mother and brother escaped from Cuba by boat and spent time in Mexico and Texas before traveling by bus to Miami.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

I like how he's denying it, saying he's never taken steroids or "anything like that." Riiiiight. So the test was wrong, huh? Right. :rolleyes

I'm just glad to see they're getting publicly named.

38 Minor Leaguers are caught in the steroid tests

Moss, Machado among suspended

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

One day after Tampa Bay Devil Rays outfielder Alex Sanchez was suspended 10 days for violating baseball's new drug policy, 38 minor league players have violated "Major League Baseball's Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program" against performance-enhancing substances.

The suspensions for 37 of the players will last 15 games, while David Castillo of the Oakland A's Single-A team was given a penalty of 60 games.

Among some of the notable names on the list are Seattle Mariners Triple-A players left-handed pitcher Damian Moss and catcher Ryan Christianson and Texas Rangers Triple-A catcher Robert Machado, who's since been released.

These results reflect 925 tests that were conducted at the minor league camps in Arizona during the 2005 Spring Training and includes one positive test from off-season testing. Minor league penalties for violations are 15 games for 1st positive test; 30 for second; 60 for third; 1 year for fourth; lifetime ban for fifth positive.

Random unannounced testing will continue to be conducted throughout the minor league season.

What is wrong with these people?! Ugh, makes me sick.

+ Reply to Thread