+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Schilling was quite impressive in his testimony. McGwire was a mess
    McGwire's tap-dancing was almost a replay of the Jason Giambi non-press-conference.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    I don't really follow MLB baseball but I did watch some of the hearings. I am more into our local minor league team.

I'm not sure how effective they will be in getting MLB to get tougher standards on their own.

Canseco - the steroid problem needs to be addressed, but I'm not big on naming names, but I guess that is what sells books.

I thought Schilling was speaking as if he was preparing his own run for political office.

McGwire confused me. I thought he admitted to using certain supplements that weren't illegal at the time. I guess he either did other supplements or is concerned because those supplements are now illegal.

I did enjoy watching Senators rip into the commissioner, player reps and other MLB officials. I watched the hearings (last year, I think) when the Players rep came off as really smug. I kind of enjoyed seeing these guys taken down a peg or to.

I wish that Congress would be this thorough on other issues, not related to sports.

Schilling loves to hear himself talk. There's nothing more exciting for him than to tell others how great he is.

At least he was probably the only player there who hasn't done steroids. :rolleyes

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    Nice analysis, Bill! The Mets will be interesting this year...actually, the entire NL East should be interesting. I think Houston has an edge over the Cubs....If only the cubbies were able to snag Beltran!!! NL West is a 3 horse race, IMO...all california.

I am much more of an NL fan....I don't really follow the AL much, since that one team always seems to win.
    Hey there, mrdobs! Just wanted to let you know that you got another Cubbie fan in the house. I didn't discover this thread until the end of the last season, so I'm going to try to pay more careful attention this year and hang out in here more often.

My husband is a Cardinals fan, and he is determined to go to a game at Busch this year since it's the last year in that stadium. The only problem is, the Cubs/Cardinals are only playing one weekend in Busch this season, and those games were sold out before tickets went on sale. We'll just have to go to a different game, I guess.

Anyway, I too am not as familiar with the AL, other than that "one team".

I think the Cubs will be fine if... and it is looking like a bigger if... Wood and Prior can stay healthy.

Plus, they need a closer.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I think the Cubs will be fine if... and it is looking like a bigger if... Wood and Prior can stay healthy.
    The Cubs always have a problem with their players staying healthy. Particularly the ones that we desperately need! Ah well, what would be a Cubs season without lots of Tums?
    Plus, they need a closer.
    Amen to that, Bill!

Barry Bonds is a great baseball player and has had a horrible couple years. He's lost his father way too young, lived with all the steroid allegations including from a long time girlfriend/mistress who claims he knew exactly what he was taking, and he's had two knee surgeries at the age of forty. However, his whole attitude today was just ridiculous. He appears to think that as a public figure who gets paid a gazillion dollars he and his family should be insulated from bad publicity. Give me a break. Barry and Mark McGwire both need to get a grip. There are tradeoffs to being a professional athlete. One of them is that you are fair game when you mess up. Because he kept talking about his son who was sitting next to him and kind of evading Pedro Gomez's questions about what he was talking about, I almost wonder if he was most upset about his children finding out about the girlfriend/mistress (yes I know that the son is his from a former marriage not his current one).

x 10,000

It's no secret that I'm a huge Giants fan. It doesn't really mean that I'm a Barry Bonds fan. When I heard about what Bonds said I just shrugged. I think he's just running his mouth again. Yeah he's gonna be gone for a while, and if he does call it quits, it's not the end of the world. Heck, I still think that the Giants can win the NL West without him. There was life before Barry Bonds, and there will be life after Barry Bonds. I was a fan of the team before he came along, and I will remain a fan after he's gone.

My dad and I talked about this just a few minutes ago and his opinion was that this may be a sign that he did steroids and doesn't wanna deal with the scrutiny anymore.

The thing is McGwire proves that the steroid issue isn't going to go away if he retires. When it comes to Barry, I try to separate what I think of his remarkable skill on the field from his petulant off field personality. There is something about being a major leaguer who grew up the son of a major leaguer. I just think you have no clue what it is like to be an average American. When Ken Griffey Jr. was here, he had much the same personality. He also was a remarkably skilled player. However, because he started playing here at 19, the media kind of insulated him. One of his biggest adjustments in Cincinnati (other than dealing with a ton of injuries) has been that he doesn't get the same treatment.

I definitely see your point. I just read the name Barry Bonds and I went off on my tangent, which has been building up all evening. Sorry for veering off-course.

+ Reply to Thread