+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 MLB Season

God I love Jim Caple. The whole thing is hilarious, but I think this is my favorite bit:

BOSTON: Wednesday was RHP Bronson Arroyo's day to insult Yankees 3B Alex Rodriguez. Arroyo told reporters that Rodriguez never replaces the toilet paper roll when it runs out, drinks milk right out of the carton without pouring it into a glass and talks on his cell phone while he drives. ... Club president Larry Lucchino announced that fans will have to return all home runs and foul balls from last season so that the Red Sox can display them for everyone to enjoy this year, then place them in a time capsule. ... Today is OF Johnny Damon's scheduled day to insult Rodriguez, and he is expected to say that the Red Sox never considered him a real Texas Ranger, either, not like Rusty Greer and Dean Palmer. ...
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...e=caple/050224

Hilarious

Another gem from that article:

47-year-old 1B Julio Franco denied Jose Canseco's charge that he injects himself with prune juice. ...
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I can't wait for it to start. With no hockey, I've been waiting for MLB for a long time. The Mariners bats got a lot better this year, which will then in turn help the pitchers. I expect about 80 wins or so from the boys. Hopefully Ichiro can get close to the runs record or beat it with Sexson and Beltre there this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedo
    I can't wait for it to start. With no hockey, I've been waiting for MLB for a long time. The Mariners bats got a lot better this year, which will then in turn help the pitchers. I expect about 80 wins or so from the boys. Hopefully Ichiro can get close to the runs record or beat it with Sexson and Beltre there this year.
    Depending on how the rotation turns out, I think 80-90 wins is possible. Unfortunately, I'm afraid the Anaheim Angels of the Northern Hemisphere will win 95 plus.

I think the Mariners need Pineiro to bounce back and for Guardado to be healthy.

If they are, then the team added 60 HR's and 175 RBI or better in Sexson (himself a health concern) and Beltre. With Ichiro getting on base the way he does, you are looking at a good offense that can at least hang with the Angels, who did lose Glaus.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.

You may be right Bill. I just hope that if the rotation starts out shaky they don't try to rush Felix Hernandez to the majors. He's only what, 19? I know he's supposed to be the overall best pitching prospect in the minors with a 98 mph fastball and a great curve, but I'm afraid of them shattering his confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    You may be right Bill. I just hope that if the rotation starts out shaky they don't try to rush Felix Hernandez to the majors. He's only what, 19? I know he's supposed to be the overall best pitching prospect in the minors with a 98 mph fastball and a great curve, but I'm afraid of them shattering his confidence.
    I think they're gonna start him in AA to start the season, unless he performs well. Then he will play in AAA. He won't start the season on the roster, but I hope he gets experience and confidence this year by not playing on the M's and we'll see what happens next year.

That's good news Torpedo. I actually read in the paper today that he's still only 18. Wow.

So who do you guys predict will be really good this season?
    I think the Redsox
    Yankees
    Orioles
    Mariners will all be pretty good. I don't follow NL that much.

I am thinking Yanks, Red Sox, Toronto, Anaheim, and the Twins in the AL will be tops. I am not a Baltimore believer as their investment in Sosa, who is declining. Plus, if Javy Lopez shows up lighter at camp, then you know he is back off the juice.

In the NL, it is more difficult, but Atlanta really made a nice deal getting Hudson. St Louis made a mistake taking Mulder off Oakland's hands and giving up excellent young pitching. I love Mulder as a player, but his second half was horrific and they still aren't sure what is really wrong with his hip. I don't think the Mets will find salvation in Pedro (who is a 6IP now, and not every 5th day), though I can hardly argue with Beltran. I like the Cubs in the Central and San Francisco in the west, though I do like my Padres to continue to improve.

+ Reply to Thread