+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 2005 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by DJeterFan
    Yankees are the AL East champs! Go Cleveland! Win the wild card!
    Never count the Yankees out! I'm also pulling for Cleveland tomorrow.

I'm clearly missing something, because I thought all the Yankees did today was clinch the right to play for the division title if they lose tomorrow. If the Red Sox win tomorrow, the two teams will have identical records and there will be a one game playoff Monday at Yankee Stadium for the division title.

Yeah, I thought that all day, too, Mariner, but actually because the Yankees won the most regular season games between the two, they clinch with the win today along with Cleveland's loss.

There were all kinds of weird scenarios going into this weekend.

Interesting. Fox sure wasn't getting that right for most of the game. I actually fell asleep about the 7th inning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    I'm clearly missing something, because I thought all the Yankees did today was clinch the right to play for the division title if they lose tomorrow. If the Red Sox win tomorrow, the two teams will have identical records and there will be a one game playoff Monday at Yankee Stadium for the division title.
    The reason the Yankees clinched the division today is twofold. First, since Cleveland lost, there cannot be a three-way tie, which would have required some kind of playoff.

Then it comes down to Boston/New York and even if they tie tomorrow, New York wins the head-to-head contest and thus the division title regardless of tomorrow's outcome.

Now that I think about it, it does make sense. The reason is because if Boston wins, New York and Boston are the division champ and the wild card regardless of what Cleveland does. Instead of making them go through a one game playoff to decide which is which that would hurt the pitching rotations for the division series, they are deciding the issue based on head to head results.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    Now that I think about it, it does make sense. The reason is because if Boston wins, New York and Boston are the division champ and the wild card regardless of what Cleveland does. Instead of making them go through a one game playoff to decide which is which that would hurt the pitching rotations for the division series, they are deciding the issue based on head to head results.
    That's true. And, since there have been playoffs, the very convoluted rules say something to the effect that ties will be broken on the field if it means one team will and one team won't make the playoffs. But, if both are still in it, then the tiebreaker rules of head-to-head come into play.

So, if Boston wins tomorrow, they are the wild card. If Boston loses and Cleveland loses, Boston is still the wild card. If Boston loses and Cleveland wins, they play for the wildcard on Monday.

Have a headache yet?

Sometimes I miss the days when there were no divisions and no playoffs. One team won the AL pennant in regular season and one the NL. Then they went to the World Series. Of course, there were only 16 teams in the majors then.

The problem is that there are so many teams now. That and the revenue the teams get from the expanded playoffs. I love October. It's so much fun. So if Boston is the wild card, will they play Chicago or the Los Angeles Angeles of Anaheim State of Californa, United States of America?

I'm pretty sure that Boston will play the White Sox (best overall record against wild card). Yankees and Angels will play.

Believe it or not, there are still some scenarios to determine whether Yanks or Angels will have home field advantage. If the Angels win tonight and the Yankees lose tomorrow, there is some other kind of math that comes into play, and I don't quite know how it's figured.

I found an article that explains some of it here, if you're interested.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...son&id=2178227

Thanks florimel! I'm going to the last Mariners game of the year tomorrow against the A's and really looking forward to bidding farewell to a long and miserable season.

+ Reply to Thread