Jan 28, 8:26 PM EST

Woods' caddie injured in speedway crash

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- Tiger Woods' caddie seriously injured his left hand Friday in an auto racing accident.

Steve Williams was driving in a heat of a modified saloon car competition at the Baypark Speedway in Tauranga when his car launched into the air and hit a safety fence. He said the skin on his left hand was torn back, exposing the bone.

"When the accident first came to an end I was obviously stunned for a minute. There was a massive amount of blood," Williams said. "I was looking down at my hand and saw bone. It's a pretty damaged hand."

Williams hopes to return to work for the Nissan Open at the Riviera Country Club in Los Angeles, beginning Feb. 17. Last week, Woods rallied from a two-shot deficit over the final six holes to win the Buick Invitational.

"I'm going to have to make some sort of adjustment," said Williams, who is left-handed. "I might have to have a little assistance from Tiger. We're going to have a great year on the tour, I'm not just going to let this get in the way. I'm really looking forward to it, especially after the victory last weekend."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

What is this guy doing racing cars during golf season? I guess he figures he's made enough money and if he misses a few tournaments due to stupid injuries it won't matter.