+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR News

A place to talk about NASCAR!!!! ***sniff*** This brings a tear to my eye. My wife and I are huge fans, haven't missed a race in 5 years. We finally got down to see our first race at Atlanta last year. (Spring race, Jr. won)

I've been rooting for Jeff since the 2nd victory of his career, Indy '94. My wife was sort of all over the map until that "hottie" (her words not mine) won in only his 2nd race in the #40 subbing for Sterling. She has enough 42 gear to outfit a pit crew.

We are really happy to see Jamie heading over to the #6. Our biggest reason? Because our drivers will no longer have inversed #'s. My wife is tired of people, who up hear in Canada just don't have as much knowledge yet of this wonderful sport, saying "How cute you guys each cheer for the same #'s!" Grrrrrr.......how can people even remotley associate the 24 and 42???

Okay, I'm babbaling a bit, but to find a place on FORT to talk NASCAR is soooo awesome. Was anyone else gravely concerned for the saftey of that poor fence as Tony was assaulting it on Sunday?
    I knew everything at 18, and know nothing at 37.
    I'm happier knowing nothing.

Nascar Talk

It'd be cool to start a general NASCAR discussion thread. The News thread seems more focused on articles from the news. It'd be cool just to get a bit of a convo going on a more informal basis. Being from the middle of Canada, you can get a little starved for NASCAR talk. It's growing like crazy, but hard to find really dedicated fans who "get it".

So to start:
    How do people out there in the Nation feel about Mikey leaving?

Will Kasey be let off the hook in the Ford lawsuit?

Can we keep calling Fatback Fatback? Guy is melting away after his surgery. (Rudd better watch out he'll fit in the car soon.)

Will Mark be back next year?

Will we (Canada) get that Busch Race in 2007?

Feedback? Other topics? (Will Mcmurray's hair stylist also defect from Ganassi? )
    I knew everything at 18, and know nothing at 37.
    I'm happier knowing nothing.

Leffler out at Joe Gibbs Racing

Leffler released from #11

Joe Gibbs Racing (JGR) has released driver Jason Leffler from his driving duties with the #11 car in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series. Two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion Terry Labonte will compete in several of the upcoming Nextel Cup races in the #11, beginning this weekend at Watkins Glen (N.Y.) International. JGR will also turn to its NASCAR Busch Series drivers - J.J. Yeley and Denny Hamlin - to split driving duties in the #11 in the remaining Nextel Cup races where Terry Labonte is not scheduled to drive.

"This was a difficult decision," said J.D. Gibbs, president of JGR. "Everyone at Joe Gibbs Racing had high hopes for Jason and the #11 team, but our performance wasn't meeting the expectations all of us set forth at the beginning of the year. It hasn't been for lack of effort, as Jason is a talented race car driver who worked incredibly hard and was terrific with our sponsor.
    "With an experienced veteran in Terry Labonte, the #11 will benefit from his 25 years of Nextel Cup racing, and ideally, climb higher in points. In looking toward next year, J.J. Yeley and Denny Hamlin will get some valuable seat time at the Nextel Cup level that will allow us to build the #11 into a race-winning contender for 2006 and beyond."

Terry Labonte's addition to JGR is a natural, as Terry's younger brother, Bobby, is a 10-year veteran of JGR, having piloted the #18 Interstate Batteries Chevrolet since 1995. The Labonte brothers are the only brothers in NASCAR history to win NASCAR Cup Series championships. Terry won the title in 1984 and 1996, while Bobby won in 2000. :We want to thank Hendrick Motorsports for allowing Terry to assist us with the #11 team," said Gibbs, whose team now features three NASCAR Cup Series champions in Bobby, Terry and 2002 series champion Tony Stewart. "In planning the future of the #11 team, we looked around the Cup and Busch Series garages and decided that the two best talents were already driving for us. J.J. and Denny are exceptional race car drivers, and we felt it was important to give each of them a shot at Nextel Cup." (True Speed Communication/JGR)(8-8-2005)

http://www.jayski.com/teams/11.htm

I think that's a good move. I never have liked Leffler (ever since he took Jr. and Mikey out in one wreck at Daytona). Send him back to the Busch Series.......Leffler is always a wreck waiting to happen. Terry is a much better driver.
    kitty-cats rule!

I just heard a quick blurb on the news that Kurt Busch has asked Jack Roush to release him from his remaining contract obligations. He signed with Penske starting in 2007 & wants to begin now.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker
    I just heard a quick blurb on the news that Kurt Busch has asked Jack Roush to release him from his remaining contract obligations. He signed with Penske starting in 2007 & wants to begin now.
    From Jayski.com:

Busch to leave Roush after 2006; to the #2 UPDATE: Penske Racing South announced today that it has signed Kurt Busch, 2004 NASCAR Nextel Cup Series Champion, to a multi-year contract to drive for the team beginning with the 2007 season.(Penske Racing PR)(8-9-2005)
    INITIAL POST: Roush Racing announced today that Kurt Busch has advised team officials that he has signed with another team commencing in 2007. The name of the team is not known. Kurt also requested a release from his contract for 2006. Due to sponsor and team considerations no decision on that request will be made for an indefinite period. Roush Racing will have no further comment at this time.(Roush Racing PR), could be the #2 Penske Racing team, but what about 2006 if Busch can't break his contract? Sources tell me it is for Penske Racing and hopes are that Busch will be able to buy out his contract and run the #2 Miller Lite Dodge in 2006. Odd that Rosuh is now in the same position that their signing of Jamie McMurray put Ganassi Racing in, as McMurray was signed by Roush to drive the #6 Ford for Roush in 2007, but hopes to get out of his contract to drive the car in 2006. Current driver of the #2 Miller Lite Dodge is Rusty Wallace, who is retiring and says he will not unretire and come back in 2006, unlike #6-Mark Martin who is also retiring BUT has agreed to run one more year if McMurray is not let out of his contract with Ganassi, which also runs thru 2006. Hard enough keeping up with what is happening next week let along in 2007, interesting trend we have going here. Looks like the new way of trying to get out of a contract.(8-9-2005)

Mikey To Race Toyotas?

The latest buzz has Michael Waltrip going with Toyota. According to Jayski.com:

Waltrip and Toyota? UPDATE: There have been whispers that [Michael] Waltrip is working with Toyota to become their flagship driver in 2007. Even though nothing firm has been announced in relation to Toyota, speculation is that they will have a car ready for the 2007 season. Don't be surprised if the team that Waltrip drives for in 2006 is in the final year of their manufacturers' contract.(Suffolk News Herald )(8-9-2005)
    Mikey to Toyota? ORINGINAL: Waltrip is headed eventually to the Toyota camp - along with Eury Jr., according to one Detroit source very close to the situation - in what is reported to be a top-dollar project. "Toyota has offered Michael and Tony Jr. so much money they can't turn it down," the source said. Waltrip has been eyed for a Toyota ride for more than a year, in part because older brother Darrell runs a Toyota team on the Craftsman Truck Series. NASCAR has been pushing Toyota to step up its presence in the sport, for the added marketing punch that would provide. And Waltrip could give Toyota quick credibility. Toyota isn't expected to field a Cup team until 2007, although a Busch team is a possibility in 2006. Toyota does have a formidable presence in the truck series. The Toyota option? "I don't even know when that's a possibility, and I need a job for next year," Waltrip replied.(Winston-Salem Journal )(7-16-2005)

so instead of North American Stock Car Auto Racing its going to be National Any Stock Car Auto Racing? Since we now race all over the country and Toyota is coming into the sport.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    interesting that that little weasle Kirky buschwennie is screwing over the team that got him his title.......

Good luck Mike, gonna bring back the celica?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikai
    so instead of North American Stock Car Auto Racing its going to be National Any Stock Car Auto Racing? Since we now race all over the country and Toyota is coming into the sport.
    Next thing you know instead of the dwarf/legend cars Humpy Wheeler will have them out there in Yugos and Mini Coopers.

+ Reply to Thread