+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR News

http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/head...uan/index.html

Hmiel docked points, fined for Bristol incident
    April 6, 2005
    03:09 PM EDT (19:09 GMT)

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Shane Hmiel was fined $10,000 and docked 25 points in the standings by NASCAR on Wednesday for making an obscene gesture at Dale Jarrett during the Busch Series race at Bristol Motor Speedway earlier this week.

Hmiel was caught on his in-car camera flipping his middle finger at Jarrett after Jarrett leaned inside the window to complain about an accident Hmiel had caused during Monday's race.

The image was shown on live television.

"We are hopeful that Shane Hmiel will realize he is a professional race car driver and he needs to conduct himself as such," NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said.

Hmiel caused the last of 14 cautions during Monday's race when Jarrett slowed to avoid an accident, then was hit from behind by Hmiel.

Jarrett exited his car and walked half the front stretch to Hmiel's car to confront him. Jarrett's day was over, and Hmiel went on to a 12th-place finish.

Hmiel was ninth in the points standings before the deduction, and did not drop after the penalty. Car owner Todd Braun was also docked 25 points as part of the penalty.

NASCAR has drawn criticism from its competitors over the past week for docking drivers points for infractions that are not race-related. Hunter said the complaints prove the method of punishment is working.

He also defended NASCAR for continuing its practice of penalizing drivers for their behavior.

Last year, Dale Earnhardt Jr. was fined and docked points for cursing in a Victory Lane interview.

"We don't want to be a plastic sport and we certainly want our competitors to be able to express themselves," Hunter said. "But there is a fine line between acting professionally and this went over the line."

Denny Hamlin, driver of the No. 20 Chevrolet, was fined $5,000 and placed on probation until Aug. 31, 2005, for hitting another competitor's car after the completion of the race, a violation of 12-4-A.

Additionally, four crew chiefs received fines after being found in violation of Sections 12-4-A and 12-4-Q (car, car parts, components and/or equipment used that do not conform to NASCAR rules).

•Brian Pattie, crew chief of the No. 41 Dodge driven by Reed Sorenson, was fined $2,000 for unapproved lug nuts on all four (4) wheels.

•Blake Bainbridge, crew chief of the No. 64 Dodge driven by Jeremy Mayfield, was fined $500 for unapproved lug nuts on one (1) wheel.

•Also, Todd Gordon, crew chief for the No. 10 Ford driven by Michel Jourdain Jr. and James Ward, crew chief of the No. 22 Ford of Kenny Wallace, were each fined $500 due to not having a rear bumper reinforcement bar.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Did any of yall catch the Michael Waltrip Texas Hold 'Em show on the Speed Channel? It was so cool! I love Texas Hold 'Em...this week was Waltrip, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Ryan Newman, Elliott Sadler and Dale Jarrett. It came on the same time as the Apprentice...and then again at midnight. (Probably gonna show it a bunch more times). I think next week, that Jr. is going to be playing!!!
    kitty-cats rule!

Damn! I forgot about that!! I wanted to see that too.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikai
    Damn! I forgot about that!! I wanted to see that too.
    Illikai, it's a continuing show...at least 2 more weeks. (The Michael Waltrip Texas Hold-em tournament) This week it was Casey Mears, Kyle Petty, Dale Jr., Jimmie Johnson, Brian Vickers and Benny Parsons (who was this weeks winner). Jr just couldn't get any good cards!
    kitty-cats rule!

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by leeinsmyrna
    Illikai, it's a continuing show...at least 2 more weeks. (The Michael Waltrip Texas Hold-em tournament) This week it was Casey Mears, Kyle Petty, Dale Jr., Jimmie Johnson, Brian Vickers and Benny Parsons (who was this weeks winner). Jr just couldn't get any good cards!

AAARRGGGGGHHHHHHH I forgot all about it and I was home nursing that back of mine too. darn the luck

Bump Drafting Goes Unheeded

posted at ThatsRacing.com http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/11539742.htm

'Bump-drafting' warnings go unheeded

By JIM UTTER

ThatsRacin.com Writer

TALLADEGA, Ala. – The most innocent of moves turned into the most colossal of wrecks.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. was pushing Mike Wallace from behind through the tri-oval of Talladega Superspeedway on Lap 132 of Sunday's Aaron's 499 when Jimmie Johnson's No. 48 Chevrolet came up fast on Wallace's left.

The two made contact – and trapped in the middle of a 43-car field – the rest was, well, a wreck.

When it ended, there were 25 cars with at least some damage, including a collection of cars between Turns 1 and 2 that looked like a parking lot during Christmas shopping season.

NASCAR's managing event director David Hoots had warned drivers in the pre-race meeting about the use of "bump-drafting" – bumping a car from behind to increase its speed.

"The bump draft is limited to only where you need to do it on the back straightaway. That's the only time you should be trying to do it," he said.

"When you do it going into (Turns) 3 and 4 or through the tri-oval in (Turns) 1 and 2 you're setting yourself up to have a big problem and you all know what I'm talking about it."

Apparently not, as bump drafting was used commonly throughout Sunday's race and all around the track.

Most of the drivers involved in the 25-car pile up attributed its start to the pit falls of restrictor-plate racing. Those who did assign blame, split evenly between Johnson and Earnhardt Jr.

NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said he didn't see anything wrong with what he called Earnhardt Jr.'s "push" of Wallace through the tri-oval.

Wallace, himself, was somewhat cryptic in his responses to queries regarding what happened.

Asked if he was hit from behind, Wallace said, "You don't spin out in the middle of the straightaway. You have to make your own viewpoint there.

"I was looking out the front of the car and the next thing I knew I was looking at (the) grandstand. So whether behind, side or up to the down or something like that. Who knows what happened."

Rusty Wallace, caught up in the wreck, said NASCAR's warnings should have been sterner.

"I don't think the fellow that delivered the speech to tell them how to not bump draft didn't do too good. He was just kind of nonchalant talking about it in the drivers meeting," Wallace said.

"I'd been standing up there with a baseball bat talking to them."

Jeremy Mayfield, who managed to avoid the accidents Sunday and finish fourth, didn't see many drivers adhering to NASCAR's admonition.

"I got hit more right down there (Turn 1) then I did anywhere," he said. "What is wild is, it's getting harder.

"You're not getting this little 'boom,' now you're getting 'KA-BOOM' – they're knocking the hell out of you. We're hitting hard out there."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

And if they took the restrictor plates off the cars like the drivers have been screaming about for years, then there wouldn't be any bump drafting!!!! You bump draft because the cars respond like a 90 year old catatonic when you hit the gas pedal. When is the France family going to get with the program?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Darrell Waltrip is an idiot, he kept saying Mike wallace hit Johnson, When all the replays showed Johnson moved into him at the same time. almost like he wanted to blame Jr. for the accident. Then who causes the one later on...Johnson when he hits the wall and bounces off and hits Harvick and pinballs the rest. Johnson must think he is the "Johnson Wrecking Ball"

yeah I saw that, I was yelling at Darrell "Johnsons moving up the track!!" and then he doesn't even admit he bounced off the wall into Harvick. I thought he had more dignity than that.

Busch goes berserk, lands in hauler

DARLINGTON, S.C. -- Kurt Busch hit the wall on the first lap at Darlington Raceway. Then he hit an official with a water bottle, bad-mouthed NASCAR over his radio and ended up in a closed-door meeting with series officials.
    "His actions were certainly not befitting of a champion,'' NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said after the Dodge Charger 500. "He said things that are not fit for print.''
    Busch, the defending Nextel Cup champion, finished 37th on Saturday night and dropped two spots in the standings to fourth. He now trails leader Jimmie Johnson by 229 points.
    Busch knew it was going to be a bad night seconds after the race began. He had started 11th, but didn't even get a full lap in before he spun out coming out of the fourth turn and hit the inside retaining wall.
    He took the No. 97 Ford into the garage so his crew could make enough repairs for Busch to continue racing.
    Later in the race, NASCAR said Busch moved into the wrong position on the track under caution. Officials ordered him to stop and get in line where he was supposed to be, but Busch refused.
    He was sent into the pits for a two-lap penalty, and NASCAR officials took offense to the language he used over the radio. They ordered him to turn his engine off, and he responded my revving it.
    He also tossed a water bottle out of his window that hit the official in his pit.
    Busch was then summoned to meet with NASCAR after the race. Although series officials looked less than pleased with the champion, Busch emerged from their hauler with a huge grin on his face, but nothing to say.
    "What a great race,'' he grinned. "You guys see that race? It was great.''
    This is not the first time NASCAR has had to punish Busch. He was penalized in Charlotte several years ago for cursing at officials over his radio. And he was punched in the nose by Jimmy Spencer two years ago after the two had contact on the track, and when Spencer confronted him after the race, Busch taunted him.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/s...=wc&id=2055558
    ______________________________ ______________________________ _____

Rubberhead is an idiot. Maybe Spencer ought to be put in charge of Busch's public relations.

Man, Spencer was goin' off on Busch and his comments after leaving the Nextel trailer on "Victory Lane" the other night. Spencer needs to pop him again! (I was loving it when Busch wrecked.. ) I just can't stand that kid.
    kitty-cats rule!

+ Reply to Thread