Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR News

http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/head...es/index.html#

Three Cup crew chiefs fined and suspended
    Knaus, Berrier and Gustafson penalized for violations at Vegas
    From Official Release
    March 15, 2005
    12:05 PM EST (17:05 GMT)

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- NASCAR has announced that rule infractions this past weekend at Las Vegas Motor Speedway have resulted in the suspension of three Nextel Cup Series crew chiefs.

The No. 48 Chevrolet team received three penalties, due to the car's roof height being too low in post-race inspection -- a violation of Section 12-4-A of the Cup series' rule book (actions detrimental to stock car racing) and Section 12-4-Q (car, car parts, components, and/or equipment used that do not conform to NASCAR rules).

A penalty of 25 driver points dropped Jimmie Johnson -- the race winner at Las Vegas -- back to second place in the standings, 10 behind reigning series champion Kurt Busch. Chad Knaus, Johnson's crew chief, has been suspended from competition for the next two races and fined $35,000; Jeff Gordon, the No. 48 car owner, has been penalized 25 owner points.

Todd Berrier, crew chief for the No. 29 Chevrolet driven by Kevin Harvick, has been suspended for the next four races and fined $25,000. Those penalties resulted from the No. 29 having an unapproved fuel filler and unapproved fuel cell vent. The car was in violation of Sections 12-4-A and 12-4-Q.

In addition to Berrier's penalties, Harvick has been penalized 25 driver championship points, dropping him from eighth to 10th in the driver standings, while car owner Richard Childress loses 25 car owner championship points.

Alan Gustafson, crew chief for the No. 5 Chevrolet driven by Kyle Busch, has been suspended for two races and fined $25,000, due to the car's quarter-panel heights being too high in post-race inspection -- also violations of Sections 12-4-A and 12-4-Q. Busch has been assessed 25 driver points, dropping him from 18th to 22nd in the standings; car owner Rick Hendrick loses 25 owner points.

In addition:

•Harold Holly, crew chief for the No. 32 Chevrolet driven by Bobby Hamilton Jr., was fined $5,000 because of the No. 32 having an unapproved deck lid, a violation of Sections 12-4-A and 12-4-Q that was determined during opening-day inspection.

•John Latchford, crew chief for the No. 89 Dodge driven by Morgan Shepherd, was fined $1,000 because of an unapproved fire suppression agent found during opening-day inspection. That also violated Sections 12-4A and 12-4Q.

•Larry Carter, crew chief for the No. 2 Dodge driven by Rusty Wallace, was fined $1,000. During opening-day inspection, the car's shoulder harness did not have a date tag displayed, a violation of Sections 17.2-C (and 12-4-A).

Hendrick Responds to sanctions and to Appeal
    Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports, today responded to sanctions levied by NASCAR on two of his NEXTEL Cup Series entries. "I'm not disputing NASCAR's right to levy sanctions," Hendrick said. "As a team owner, I understand why these standards are in place and have always taken pride in the fact that our organization has kept a very clean record. In this particular instance, though, we disagree with the severity of NASCAR's stance and plan to appeal their decision. I want to make it clear that we in no way intentionally ignored guidelines and I'm certain everyone understands that."(Hendrick Motorsports)(3-15-2005)
    From Jayski's

Those are some pretty harsh penalties. The teams are going to be scared to death now, which I guess is a good thing. I agree that the cheating should stop. I just wonder how much of it really is intentional.

Does it look like Nascar is coming down hard this year? Is this another move made when Nextel came onboard? I am becoming dissallusioned with the France family lately, it seems like they are trying to screw up a good thing, changing rules every week, taking races out of the country, and now unrealistic punishment. Good thing they aren't the court system of the US, then shoplifters would be sentenced to death.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

I'm a Jimmie Johnson fan so I may be a bit biased, but I think the penalty was a bit harsh. NASCAR inspected the cars before the race and impounded them until the race began. I heard that a bolt or something had worked itself loose during the race. Obviously, the car passed inspection before the race. I realize that cheating does happen but I wonder if this was cheating or an unavoidable accident. I'm not saying that there shouldn't have been some kind of penalty, I just think it was too much. But, I have faith in Jimmie and Chad's ability and they'll be back in first place soon.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit
    NASCAR inspected the cars before the race and impounded them until the race began. I heard that a bolt or something had worked itself loose during the race. Obviously, the car passed inspection before the race.
    I don't believe that NASCAR used the impound procedure at Vegas. Qualifying followed the old procedures. The only way Harvick got caught was because he was in the top 5 qualifying and his car was inspected again. He passed pre-inspection also.

Hendrick suspensions lifted after appeal

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- An appeals committee on Wednesday lifted the suspensions of the crew chiefs for Jimmie Johnson and Kyle Busch, who were both accused of cheating following a race in Las Vegas.

The National Stock Car Racing Commission rescinded the two-race suspensions NASCAR had levied against Chad Knaus and Alan Gustafson, and instead placed both on 90 days probation.

George Silbermann, chairman of the three-man appeals committee, noted that the decision was by majority vote and was not unanimous.

"This decision pertains specifically to the evidence presented in this appeal," he wrote. "The Commission's rulings do not have a bearing on existing or announced NASCAR enforcement policies."

NASCAR stiffened its penalty process after the March 13 race in Las Vegas, when Johnson's race-winning car and Busch's second-place car both failed inspection. Johnson's was too high and Busch's was too low.

Knaus, crew chief for Johnson, was suspended by NASCAR for two races and fined $35,000. Johnson was also docked 25 points, and Jeff Gordon was docked 25 owner points because he is listed as the car owner.

Gustafson was suspended two weeks and fined $25,000. Busch was docked 25 points, as was car owner Rick Hendrick.

The commission's ruling did not affect the points that were lost.

Hendrick on Wednesday maintained that neither crew chief was cheating, and that the cars failed the post-race inspections because of mechanical issues that developed over the 400-mile race.

"I appreciate NASCAR giving us the opportunity to present the facts," said Hendrick. "From our perspective it's important everyone, especially our fans, know that we absolutely had no intention of breaking any rules.

"This sport has a rule book for good reason, and it's vital it be enforced. As an owner, I know it's equally important to have a just forum for teams and a fair system of checks and balances. We respect NASCAR's decision and look forward to carrying some momentum into Bristol."

The commission has yet to hear the appeal for Todd Berrier, crew chief for Kevin Harvick.

Berrier was suspended for four races for illegally rigging Harvick's fuel tank at Las Vegas to appear full during qualifying. Although Richard Childress Racing is appealing the penalty, the team is more concerned with having Berrier's suspension shortened and having the 25 points Harvick was docked reinstated.

RCR maintains that because the infraction was during qualifying, points should not be deducted.

http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/head....ap/index.html

When I went home for lunch today, I watched the end of the Busch race at Bristol, which was rained out on Saturday. Did anybody else see it??

OMG, it was hilarious....Shane Hmiel knocked Dale Jarrett into the wall. After the wreck, Jarrett gets out of his car, refuses to get into the ambulance, then proceeds to walk all the way down the track to Hmiel's car. He's headed over there to give him a piece of his mind, (all the while being followed by 2 uniformed Nascar guys). When he gets there, of course the TV coverage switches over to Hmiel's in-car camera. You can hear Jarrett goin' off on him, and after Hmiel tried to explain what happened, Jarrett's wagging his finger at him in the window. Then right there on national TV, Shane flips him a BIRD with those big red gloves on!!! I was crackin' up!

Things always get hot at Bristol!!
    kitty-cats rule!

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    i missed it. set my alram clock wrong and overslept BIGTIME if the dog hadn't woke me up, no tellin when I'd have got up.......

I watched it off and on. The announcers had just been talking about Hmiel taking cars out, when he did it to DJ. He's probably lucky that it was DJ, cause he just yelled at him, other drivers might have decked him. We'll see if NASCAR penalized Hmiel for the gesture. I couldn't hear what DJ was saying, but there were officials on either side of him and I'm sure they could.

+ Reply to Thread