+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: NASCAR News

Not surprised at all. I've always disliked him, and he IS an arrogant little punk.

Good for Roush.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

FORT Newbie
    My friend was at the track Friday night and said that Busch was allegedly drunk as hell from what he could see. Don't know if it's true or not, but a little sick part of me hopes it is, particularly given his Miller Lite sponsorship.

I do not like Kurt Bucsh at all and I also don't think he's cute (except he's cute compared to his brother, Kyle)

My aunt read that actually Kurt girlfriend/fiance was drunk and the couple got into a fight in the car on the road.

Kurt Busch Police Report

Here are links to copies of Kurt Busch's ticket and police reports of the incident in Phoenix.
    All I have to say is Kurt Busch is a pompous ass who thinks he is above the law. I hate that celebrities that act that way.

Copy of ticket: http://www.azcentral.com/news/pdfbusch1.pdf
    Assisting officer's report: http://www.azcentral.com/news/pdfbusch2.pdf
    Arresting officer's report: http://www.azcentral.com/news/pdfbusch3.pdf

I would also like to add that I have also lost some respect for Greg Biffle for the same reason. From http://www.charleston.net/stories/?n...section=sports
    Such statements are indefensible, Biffle admitted.
    "I feel bad, because I wouldn't want that to happen to me," he said. "But I know how some police officers can act, because I've been in those situations leaving the racetrack after the race. They think you're just a race fan or whatever, and they just treat you unbelievable."
    Too bad that they treat you as "just a race fan" you idiot.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 11-24-2005 at 07:23 PM.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone

Schrader to the 21 next year

story here

Schrader to drive No. 21 for Wood Brothers in '06
    November 18, 2005
    12:19 PM EST (17:19 GMT)

HOMESTEAD, Fla. -- NASCAR veteran Ken Schrader has joined the Wood Brothers/JTG Racing Team. He'll drive the famed number 21 Ford Fusion during the 2006 Nextel Cup season.

The car will be sponsored Little Debbie.

"I look forward to establishing a winning tradition with Wood Brothers/JTG Racing and Little Debbie Snacks," says Schrader. "Some of the most victorious drivers in NASCAR history have driven the Number 21 car. I intend to continue that winning tradition in 2006."

"Three years ago, I thought that 2005 could be my last season. However, when the opportunity to drive for the Wood Brothers and Little Debbie presented itself, it made my decision to continue driving in the Nextel Cup Series very easy," says Schrader.

"There is always excitement when a new company realizes the marketing potential of NASCAR for increasing its business and then decides to enter the sport. This is going to be fun!"

Schrader becomes the latest in a long line of winning drivers for the Number 21 team founded by Glen Wood in 1953. The family-operated racing team has 96 career victories.

Little Debbie will be the primary sponsor of the Number 21 car for 19 races in 2006. Motorcraft Quality Parts and the U.S. Air Force will rotate their sponsorship of the Ford Fusion for the remaining races during the 2006 season.

"We've been fans of NASCAR, the Wood Brothers, and Ken Schrader for many years, so sponsoring the Number 21 car is a way to show our support for a great sport, a great race team, and a great driver," says McKee Food's CEO Jack McKee.

"From a business perspective, this is a perfect fit for our brand because NASCAR fans are Little Debbie fans."

"Wood Brothers/JTG Racing looks forward to winning on the track and in the marketplace with this new partnership," said Wood Brothers/JTG Racing co-owner, Tad Geschickter.

The Number 21 Little Debbie-sponsored car was unveiled following a news conference today at the Homestead Miami Speedway. A $21,000 check was presented to the Florida Hurricane Relief Fund to offer immediate assistance to victims of Hurricane Wilma in southern Florida

just above the horizon, but below the ozone

bobby labonte to drive for petty

story here

Updated: Nov. 11, 2005, 6:03 PM ET
    Pettys focused on regaining elite statusAssociated Press

AVONDALE, Ariz. -- Petty Enterprises is ready to take the next step toward returning to prominence in NASCAR's top stock car series.

The family owned team announced Friday it has signed 2000 NASCAR champion Bobby Labonte to drive the No. 43 Dodge, starting in 2006.

Labonte, who was released earlier this week from the final three years of a contract with Joe Gibbs Racing, replaces Jeff Green, who is leaving the team at the end of the current season. Labonte will race as a teammate to new boss Kyle Petty, who will keep driving the No. 45 Dodge.

Labonte will also join Robbie Loomis, who is leaving Hendrick Motorsports to become vice president of race operations for Petty.

The Petty team, an elite organization for years, led first by NASCAR pioneer and three-time champion Lee Petty and followed by his son, seven-time champion Richard Petty, has fallen on hard times in recent years and has not won a race since 1999.

But Kyle Petty, Richard's son, is hoping the addition of Labonte and Loomis could be the catalyst for some big, positive changes.

"With Robbie's help, and with these two working together, it will take Petty Enterprises to another level," Petty said. "Three or four years ago, we had a plan and started down it and it didn't work out like we wanted it to. Now, Robbie is in charge of everything and, hopefully, it will work out exactly like we want it to.

"And I'm excited to have Bobby as a teammate," he added. "Obviously, it's important to have somebody in the 43 car so we can grow together. It brings a huge amount of talent and experience to the seat, which, hopefully, will bring the 45 car up."

Labonte said he is as excited as his new boss and teammate.

"I think we think alike. We drive similar setups, I think. It feel like it's the coolest opportunity," Labonte said.

The 41-year-old Labonte has struggled at times since winning his title, with points finishes of sixth, 16th, eighth and 12th heading into this year. This season has been the worst, though, with Labonte heading into Sunday's race at Phoenix International Raceway 25th in the standings, with only three top-five finishes and no wins.

Despite having job security with Gibbs, Labonte said he just felt it was time for a change. Then the opportunity to join the Petty team developed.

"Signs were telling me that this is what I needed to do," Labonte said. "It just happened.

"Now it's a matter of getting everything together, and we'll do that. Whether it will take one week or 10 weeks, I don't know the answer. But I know the enthusiasm is there to do it, and our goal is to do it, and heart is in this."

Loomis is excited, too.

"It's a huge challenge for us to get the [43] car back to Victory Lane, to get the car in the Chase, to get back to where I would love to see us win the championship," Loomis said. "Is it a reality next year? You've seen a lot of things happen in the sport and you look at it and ask: 'How'd that happen?'"

So long, pal
    Series points leader Tony Stewart said Friday he and Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Bobby Labonte had an emotional talk last week after Labonte told the team he would be leaving at the end of the season.

"We were both kind of laughing about it and hugging on each other about it," Stewart said. "It doesn't matter what team he goes to, we still view each other as teammates -- even after the end of the year."

But Stewart said he understands why his teammate of seven years is moving on.

"Only Bobby knows what is best for Bobby," he said. "Sometimes you can get yourself in a situation where you've been in one place so long that a change is good for both sides. I hate to see him go but, at the same time, I'm happy that he's doing something he wants to do."

NASCAR TV Deal Near?

From http://jayski.com/cupnews.htm
    NASCAR could announce as early as this week a TV rights deal that would see Fox broadcast the first half of the Nextel Cup season and TNT and ESPN/ABC sharing the back half starting in 2007, Street & Smith's SportsBusiness Journal reports. The sanctioning body could get as much as $550 million a year from TV rights, a 38% increase over the estimated $400 million a year it gets under the current arrangement with Fox, NBC and TNT. The story says industry insiders say the ABC/ESPN commitment alone is expected to be about $270 million a year. TNT and ESPN are expected to air six races each, reporter Scott Warfield writes, and ABC will air the final 11 races, including all 10 events [and Indy] in the Chase For The Nextel Cup.(NASCAR Scene Daily Newsletter), so that would be 36 total races: ESPN gets 6, TNT gets 6, ABC gets 11, so Fox/FX would get 13 [plus Bud Shootout and Nextel Challenge].(11-29-2005)
    No more NBC? I like that! The only bad thing is I can't sneak a tv into work and watch if it's on cable.

Excellent! I'd much rather watch it on FOX than NBC...they do sports better.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112