+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR News

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    I can't wait for when they start announcing next years changes of manpower at the Daytona 500, the way its been going this year, it won't be long

Tony Eury Jr. back as crew chief for Junior!!!

Here is the link:

http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/head...yjr/index.html
    kitty-cats rule!

basically, they are screwing mikey again, since he is leaving DEI lets screw with his team now so he doesn't do as well towards the end. seems like they have gone out of their way to mess with him the last two years.
    Last edited by joeguy; 09-15-2005 at 05:43 PM.

Silly Season

SILLY SEASON NEWS

Nextel Cup Silly Season already in full swing
    Labonte, Green, McMurray, Rudd among movers and shakers
    By Marty Smith, NASCAR.COM
    October 25, 2005
    02:27 PM EDT (18:27 GMT)

Surprisingly enough, Bobby Labonte is presently a fixture of the Nextel Cup Series rumor mill. When asked about his future at Joe Gibbs Racing, the 2000 Cup Series champion was quite noncommittal.

"If I stay there, I stay there. If not, I won't," Labonte said. "I have a contract through 2008 and I plan on agreeing to agree."

Are you happy?

"It doesn't matter -- whether I'm happy or not doesn't matter."

Labonte added he's "been rumored for a while, even rumored to retire. There's nothing to say about it, because there's nothing to say."

Among the rides Labonte is reportedly considering are Petty Enterprises' legendary No. 43, and Chip Ganassi Racing's No. 42.

Petty said Tuesday no driver will get a committment from Petty Enterprises until a sponsorship deal is completed for his No. 45 Dodge.

That, Petty said, is the primary reason Jeff Green is leaving Petty to drive the Haas Racing No. 0.

Petty also said he has spoken with Labonte, but also with Dave Blaney, Johnny Benson and several other drivers regarding the No. 43 opening.

"I've heard the Bobby Labonte rumor, too!" Petty said. "Keep me in the mix and maybe it'll come true. But I'll be real clear here, we can't sign anybody at Petty Enterprises as an owner until we get the 45 car deal done. We're about two-thirds of the way there.

"That's the reason Jeff [Green] left to drive for the 0 car, is I can't commit to him. I could probably commit to Bobby Labonte before I committed to anybody, because, live I've said before, if Jeff Gordon wanted the ride I'd commit to him right now.

"And I'd probably commit to Bobby Labonte right now. But I'm kind of waiting, seeing where things shake out with the 45. I'm confident things will shake out good."

Petty also wanted to make one thing clear -- he will not be the driver of the No. 43 in 2006.

"You can kill that rumor right now," he said.

As the No. 42 turns

If Labonte -- or anyone else, for that matter -- were to man the No. 42 Dodge, Jamie McMurray would be free to move over to Roush Racing's No. 97 Ford, thereby freeing up Kurt Busch to move to Penske Racing's No. 2 Dodge.

ALSO
    • Follow all the twists and turns of Silly Season

McMurray said last weekend at Martinsville that he feels confident the situation is resolvable, and all parties involved are working to make that happen.

As for McMurray's replacement in the No. 42, Labonte isn't the lone driver mentioned. Ricky Rudd, current driver of the No. 21 Motorcraft Ford, is also a rumored candidate.

Rudd said Friday following a season-best qualifying effort at Martinsville that he wasn't ready to discuss what lies ahead.

"When everything comes out and all the hands get played, I think everyone will see there were reasons why things needed to kept under wraps," Rudd said. "The time has not come to divulge that. I wish I could.

"I wish I could tell everybody what's going on, but it's not time to do that. I just hope the fans that have been with me through thick and thin will understand that when the day comes."

Other notables

Meanwhile, Denny Hamlin has secured his position in the No. 11 Chevrolet and Ken Schrader is reportedly moving to the No. 21 Ford in 2006. Calls placed to Wood Brothers Racing were not immediately returned.

RCR Shuffles Cup Series Crew Chief Lineup

WELCOME, N.C. (Nov. 2, 2005) -- Two of Richard Childress Racing’s (RCR) NASCAR Cup Series teams will swap crew chiefs next week in preparation for the 2006 season.
    Scott Miller, current crew chief on the No. 07 Jack Daniel’s team, will assume the crew chief position on the No. 31 Cingular Wireless team with driver Jeff Burton for the final two races this season and next year. Kevin Hamlin, current crew chief on the No. 31 Cingular Wireless team, will move to the No. 07 Jack Daniel’s team for the rest of this season with driver Dave Blaney. He will be assisted by Gil Martin who, it was announced in October, will be the crew chief for the team next year with new driver Clint Bowyer. Hamlin has been offered another position within the RCR organization at the conclusion of this season.

“We’re making these moves next week to get a head start on 2006,” said Richard Childress, president and CEO of RCR. “We had already announced that Gil was going to be the Jack Daniel’s team crew chief for 2006 so it made sense to get him running as quickly as possible. We have put Scott Miller and Jeff Burton together on the Cingular Wireless team in an effort to take the success the team has had this season to the next level. Kevin Hamlin has been a valuable part of RCR for many years and we look forward to him continuing to contribute to our success in the future.”

Martin will remain as the crew chief for Bowyer and the No. 2 ACDelco team in their quest for the 2005 NASCAR Busch Series championship. Jeremy Bullins, the team’s engineer who will also move to the No. 07 Jack Daniel’s team next season, will assist Hamlin and Martin for the balance of the season.

“This in no way will take away from the effort Clint, Gil and the ACDelco team will give toward winning the Busch championship,” said Childress. “They’ve still got a good shot at it and Gil has great guys working for him on both teams so we won’t let him get overloaded from either direction.”

http://www.rcrracing.com/messageboar...?type=1&id=911

http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/head...sed/index.html

Labonte leaving Gibbs following 2005 season

November 7, 2005
    11:33 AM EST (16:33 GMT)

HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. -- Bobby Labonte and Joe Gibbs Racing on Monday announced they will part ways at the end of the 2005 season.

Labonte's future plans, as well as a replacement driver for the No. 18 Chevrolet, will be announced at a later date.

"I regret to say that this is the final year that I will be at Joe Gibbs Racing," Labonte said. "One of the things that made this decision so difficult was thinking of all the fans that have supported me at JGR throughout the past 11 years. This relationship has lasted a long time, and I hate that it has to end.

"Joe Gibbs and his family gave me the opportunity of a lifetime, and I want to thank them, and all the employees at JGR, for 11 years of hard work. I will always cherish the times at JGR, and the only thing that I regret is that we didn't win more races and or championships.

"I wish everyone at JGR continued success in the future and I want to thank J.D. [Gibbs, president of JGR] for giving me the chance to be released from my contract early and letting me pursue other opportunities."

JGR was formed in 1991 and Dale Jarrett drove the No. 18 Chevrolet from 1992-94, while Labonte has driven the car since the beginning of the '95 season.

"My dad and I have both enjoyed a great relationship with Bobby over the past 11 years," J.D. Gibbs said. "Without his leadership and class, Joe Gibbs Racing would not be what it is today. Bobby, Donna and the whole Labonte family will always be a very special part of JGR. We all wish him the best in the future."

Labonte won the 2000 Cup championship and scored all 21 of his Cup victories driving for JGR.

"Interstate Batteries is a sponsor second to none and Norm [chairman of Interstate] and Tommy Miller [retired president of Interstate] are a class act, and I will miss working for them," Labonte said. "But our friendship will continue."

Labonte drove the Interstate Batteries car to Victory Lane in some of the most prestigious races on the schedule, including the Brickyard 400 and Southern 500 in 2000 and the Coca-Cola 600 in 1995.

"We have been fortunate to have Bobby represent Interstate Batteries for the past 11 years," Norm Miller said. "He is truly a class act and made us very, very proud, not only for his success on the track, but also the tremendous way he carried himself off the track. We will certainly miss working with him, but will forever cherish the friendship with him and his family. He will always be part of the Interstate Batteries family, and will continue to be in our prayers. We wish him continued great success"

Labonte also spent seven years as a teammate to 2002 Cup champion Tony Stewart, driver of the No. 20 Chevrolet for JGR.

"Tony Stewart has been a great teammate and friend for the past several years and is one of the best drivers that has come along in a long time," Labonte said. "I wish him continued success and will always cherish our friendship."
    I sure hope this all works out for Bobby. He is my son's favorite driver.

Groan, I just realized that he's going to want new shirts and hats with Bobby's new number and sponsor.

I heard that this might happen, wow, 11 years. its going to be hard not to think of Bobby and Interstate together in the same thought but then again I heard on Windtunnel (speed channel) last night that interstate will drop as a major sponsor and be just a minor one, as the $15 million it takes is just out of their reach anymore.

http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/head...006/index.html

Busch, McMurray will drive for new teams in '06

November 7, 2005
    04:17 PM EST (21:17 GMT)

The dominoes began falling into place Monday:

•Kurt Busch moves to Penske
    •Jamie McMurray moves to Roush
    •Casey Mears moves to the No. 42

Penske Racing South announced that defending Nextel Cup champion Busch will drive the Miller Lite Dodge commencing with the 2006 Nextel Cup season, while McMurray joins Roush Racing beginning next year with Newell-Rubbermaid and Diageo as primary sponsors of its Ford.

"The addition of Jamie McMurray as driver of the IRWIN/Sharpie Ford is a development that's exciting to our employees, customers and fans," said Eric Pinkham, director of motorsports for Newell Rubbermaid.

"There's no question that Jamie now has the right tools to achieve even greater NASCAR success and make a permanent mark on racing history."

With McMurray leaving, Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates and its sponsor, Chevron Products Company, said Casey Mears will pilot the Texaco/Havoline Dodge starting in 2006.

"We are pleased that Kurt and Roush Racing were able to reach an agreement on Kurt's release and appreciate the professionalism that it has taken to arrive at this result," said Roger Penske, chairman of Penske Racing South.

"Kurt's joining us for 2006 will provide a smooth transition for the team and our sponsors."

Busch recently had signed a multi-year agreement with Penske that was to take effect in 2007. At the same time, Roush Racing announced that it had signed McMurray for next year. He also had signed a multi-year deal that was to have begun in '07.

"We are thrilled that Crown Royal is becoming primary sponsor, and that we're partnering with one of the sport's rising talents in Jamie McMurray and one of racing's best teams in Roush," said Debra Kelly-Ennis, Chief Marketing Officer of Diageo.

"As we have witnessed with both Crown Royal and Smirnoff ICE, NASCAR continues to be a great platform for our responsible drinking programs, and we look forward to having an even greater presence in 2006 to continue these efforts."

McMurray's exodus opened a seat for Mears, who will have rookies David Stremme and Reed Sorenson as teammates.

"We've been working hard to find a driver solution for Texaco/Havoline and we are fortunate that we could offer them Casey," Ganassi said. "Some recent positive developments have allowed us to make this move and we couldn't be happier with how things are shaping up for the 2006 season.

"Casey is a driver and a person that we think a lot of and have a lot of faith in."

Busch, who is eighth in the current Chase for the Nextel Cup, said several elements were involved in the decision to leave Roush Racing.

"I have had a wonderful association with Roush Racing and we have been able to achieve much success together. I appreciate all that Jack Roush and the team has done for me and the professionalism shown in reaching an agreement with me on the release," Busch said.

"There were a lot of factors in play here, with Rusty's [Wallace] retirement and Jamie's driving contract with Roush. I believe the situation has worked out in the best interest of the drivers, the teams and the sponsors. I am excited about what lies ahead."

•Ganassi also announced Monday that Home123 has terminated their sponsorship relationship.

"We have enjoyed working with Home123," Ganassi said. "This was a good decision for us both and our separation was amicable. We wish them well in their future endeavors."

"While we have enjoyed working with the Ganassi organization and have seen benefit in the team sponsorship, we will be refocusing our 2006 dollars in other areas," said Pat Flanagan, Chief Executive Officer of Home123 Corporation.

"We are committed to having marketing programs that strategically position the Home123 brand among our target audiences. We will continue to support the racing sport as the official mortgage company of NASCAR. In addition, we continue to be excited about announcing the winner of the Home123 'Pay Off Your Mortgage Sweepstakes.' "

Kurt Busch cited for reckless driving

http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/head....ap/index.html

Kurt Busch cited for reckless driving
    The Associated Press
    November 12, 2005
    05:00 PM EST (22:00 GMT)

PHOENIX (AP) -- Kurt Busch was detained on suspicion of drunken driving and cited for reckless driving after a confrontation with police near the track where the NASCAR champion is to race Sunday.

Busch was stopped Friday night after trying to avoid another car and running a stop sign about two miles from Phoenix International Raceway, said Lt. Paul Chagolla

"As a result of the roadside investigation the deputy did take Mr. Busch into custody for suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol," said Chagolla, a Maricopa County sheriff's spokesman.

Chagolla said the deputy smelled alcohol on Busch, but the driver refused to perform standard field sobriety tests. Busch did submit to a field breath alcohol test, disclosing the presence of alcohol.

The deputy drove Busch to the raceway, where a sheriff's facility is located, to administer another breath test but the machine there failed. The deputy then decided to cite Busch for reckless driving and he was released, Chagolla said.

Busch was spotted driving about 60 mph in a 45 mph zone, Chagolla said. A deputy tried to pull Busch over but there was some delay, Chagolla said. When he did stop, Busch was argumentative and uncooperative, Chagolla said. The deputy then called for a supervisor.

Busch, the reigning Nextel Cup champion, is in Phoenix to race in Sunday's Checker Auto Parts 500. Busch, eighth in points for the season, qualified 17th for the race. His team did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said: "It's a traffic ticket as far as we know."

Busch's truculent behavior on and off the track has gotten him in trouble with NASCAR and other drivers in the past.

The 27-year-old driver from Las Vegas was punched in the face by Jimmy Spencer for trying to deliberately wreck him. He was called "an arrogant punk" by Kevin Harvick and is booed by fans who dislike his aggressive driving.

Busch got into trouble with NASCAR again at Darlington in May when he refused to go where he was told after returning to the track following a crash. He then was called into the pits for a penalty and responded with expletives directed at NASCAR officials over his car radio. He also tossed a water bottle that hit the NASCAR official in his pit.

NASCAR officials said his behavior was not "befitting of a champion."

Kurt Busch is a punk. I don't like him.

+ Reply to Thread