+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian Open 2005

Australian Open 2005

Roddick kicked some butt in the first round over Labadze. Let's hope for some good matches.

Hey Mariner, nice to see the tennis fans again! It's been a while since the U.S Open thread.

Roddick was great, he seems to be playing well but I don't think he can beat Federer, I think he'll only reach the semis. As for the women, Lindsay's playing great and I think she'll probably win though Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams have a good shot.

Fanatic. I agree with you about Federer. He's a juggernaut. I'm wondering how well Agassi is going to hold up. I love the Australian Open because the coverage is on at night here.

Wow. Agassi is absolutely kicking Schuettler's behind. He's up two sets to none and three to nothing in the third set with two breaks. I'd love to see him make the final.

ETA: It's over. It's Agassi vs. Taylor Dent in the next round. Dent threw a bit of a hissy fit in his last match so it will be interesting to see if he can make a match of it against Agassi.
    Last edited by Mariner; 01-19-2005 at 03:41 AM.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Mariner and Fanatic. I hardly come over to FoRT nowadays but who can resist a GrandSlam thread here.

Maria got a scare from Lindsay Lee-Walters in the first set. But she regained her superior position in the second and third set. The grunting in that match should be considered R-ated.
    She would face hard fight against Serena Williams this time if they meet at the Quarters/Semis.

At this point, anyone who can beat Federer, I will to.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Hey UE!

I was hoping that Maria would lose, she's way too arrogant and her dad gets on my nerves. I'm not surprised the other russian players hate her!

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    My mom and I were rooting against her too! Those arrogant cheers are really annoying and the dad.

The other players do not like her. Anastasia Myskina threatened, last year, that she won't play for the Fed Cup if Maria is in the Russian team. (Mostly have to do with the dad being over-bearing and shouting from the stands) And Maria was not selected.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Okay fellow tennis fans, what the heck was the deal with the Russian female dust up that happened the other day? I only heard a little bit last night because I was flipping between tennis and other things. It sounded like a soap opera.

Tennis Fans!

I havn't watched anything from the open yet but have been keeping up to date with the matches online.

AI!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    Okay fellow tennis fans, what the heck was the deal with the Russian female dust up that happened the other day? I only heard a little bit last night because I was flipping between tennis and other things. It sounded like a soap opera.
    Full story is here but to cut to the chase, at some Belgian exhibition match last month, one player had apparently tested positive for some substance (which can be found in cold medicine) that was illegal in competition, but not in an exhibition if you had a legitimate reason for it. The sports minister ruled out Justine Henin-Hardenne who was playing there and eventually named Svetlana Kuznetsova (the other players at the event were Nathalie Dechy, and Elena Dementiva, infamous for her poor serving) as the one that failed the test. He didn't do a back-up test or follow the correct procedure before naming someone which was the talking point. Svetlana was cleared as she had a cold at the time and was taking medication, and she was backed up by the WTA head but the Belgian sports minister refused to apologize.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast