+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Johnson to Yankees Looks Done

ESPN: Johnson to Yankees Looks Done

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1955906

Thursday, December 30, 2004
    ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- The Diamondbacks and Yankees have agreed on a deal that would send Randy Johnson to New York for Javier Vazquez, prospects and cash, major league sources told ESPN.

The paperwork has not yet been submitted to the baseball commissioner's office, but that is the next step for the deal to be finalized.

The Diamondbacks also will get left-handed pitcher Brad Halsey, catching prospect Dioner Navarro and $8 million to $9 million in exchange for the 41-year-old lefty, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reports.

According to Peter Gammons' sources, Arizona will not immediately deal Vazquez to another team, but will continue to talk to interested teams, including Baltimore, Philadelphia, Detroit and Texas.

Once a deal is official, the Yankees would then have to work out a contract extension for Johnson. According to the New York Daily News' sources, the discussion has been to add two years to Johnson's deal at $16 million each year.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Grrr. What Steinbrenner wants Steinbrenner gets. I don't know about the contract extension though. Randy is over 40. He's been an awesome pitcher but age has to catch up with him at some point.

:phhht At least he's no longer in the NL West. But I agree with Mariner: he's not getting any younger. I think Arizona got the better end of the deal.

I have to agree. I think the Yanks will regret giving up on Vazquez that quickly.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.

As an Indians fan I like the prospect of maybe being able to see him pitch at Jacobs Field but I also dislike the fact that the Tribe will have to face him.

Leo
    Premium Member
    I don't think Steinbrenner cares about the future. Even if Johnson fades a year or two down the road - it doesn't matter. All he wants is a World Series, right now.

On espn tonight, they said that the payroll for the Yankees' starting rotation alone is going to be around $65 million.

Steinbrenner is such an idiot. He just gets anything he wants. I really liked Dioner Navarro - classy, hard-worker like Jeter.
    This trade will probably fall through, though. It would serve Steinbrenner right anyways. :rolleyes

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    I don't think Steinbrenner cares about the future. Even if Johnson fades a year or two down the road - it doesn't matter. All he wants is a World Series, right now.
    Add that to the fact that they lost to the Red Sox in historic fashion, I wouldn't be surprised if he signed/traded for every major league player

Yeah, I think he will pay whatever is necessary to get Beltran, and that could be 7 yrs, 130 Million or so.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast