+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reggie White dies

Reggie White dies

This is such sad news, especially here in Wisconsin.
    from ESPN:
    Sunday, December 26, 2004
    White dies Sunday morning
    ESPN.com news services

Former NFL star Reggie White died Sunday morning at his home near Huntersville, N.C., ESPN's Chris Mortensen has learned.

The former Green Bay Packers and Philadelphia Eagles defensive end, a lock for the Pro Football Hall of Fame who retired as the NFL's all-time sacks leader in 2000, turned 43 on Dec. 19.

Sara White confirmed her husband's death.

"Today our beloved husband, father and friend passed away," Sara White said through a family pastor. "His family appreciates your thoughts and prayers as we mourn the loss of Reggie White. We want to thank you in advance for honoring our privacy."

Nicknamed "The Minister of Defense," White had 198 career sacks with the Eagles (1985-92), Packers (1993-98) and Carolina Panthers (2000). He went to two Super Bowls with Green Bay, winning a ring after the 1996 season.

Former teammate Mike Golic was visibly emotional as he remembered White on ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown.

"Reggie White was the greatest defensive end of all time, but as great as he was on the field he was that much greater off the field," Golic said.

Eric Allen wrapped up his Sunday chat on ESPN.com with a few words about his former teammate.

"You probably know we were teammates from 1988-1992," Allen said. "What you probably don't know is he was probably the biggest influence on me from the time I stepped foot into Philadelphia until now. More so off the field than on. We continued to stay in touch throughout my 17 years since being a rookie in Philadelphia, and I have a great amount of love for him and his family. So like he would do, please say a prayer for him and his family."

"[White] was a quality guy, a good man," Chargers quarterback Doug Flutie said. "He broke my collarbone my rookie year in the USFL, but he was always a peaceful guy, never arrogant, never a showboat."
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

He died at 43? That's very sad.

It is incredibly sad news. By all accounts, he was as nice a man off the field as he was fierce on it.

Such horrible news to hear. He was such a good guy, and to die only at 43 so close to Christmas too. RIP Reggie.

I read it was caused by sleep apnea...he was way too young. I remember watching him play, he was a great guy.

R.I.P. Reggie...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Wow...that shocked the hell out of me. That is really sad, thoughts and prayers to his family.

That's sad. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. R.I.P.

FORT Fogey
    Eva:

I was so saddened to hear of his passing, which no one could have expected.

I became an Eagles fan myself because of him and Randall Cunningham back when I first moved to Philly from New York in 1986, as they were two of the mainstays here for a long time.

What he did in signing with the Packers in 1993 is still paying major dividens for the Pack, and is probably why they are still a perennial playoff team even six years after he last played for them.

He will truly be missed.

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    sad Packer fan-

exactly, Wally.

It sounds crazy, but he was just as important, if not more (as I feel), as Favre in the Pack turnaround and run of success. He was the 1st MAJOR black free agent to choose Green Bay and openly recruited others to come join him and the Pack.

Thanks, Reggie

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1955352

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Associated Press
    CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Bill Bates saw the talent and the passion in Reggie White before nearly anyone else, back when they were teammates at Tennessee more than 20 years ago.

"He was so raw then," Bates said. "The talent was there, he just hadn't found it yet."

On Wednesday, Bates was one of the many mourners who streamed into a funeral home to say farewell to the NFL great during a public visitation. White died three days earlier at Presbyterian Hospital in Huntersville, a northern suburb of Charlotte.

A preliminary autopsy report showed White might have died because of a respiratory disease combined with other health problems. Determining a final cause of death might take up to three months.

Bates, a former safety with the Dallas Cowboys, played against White for years in the NFL, but their friendship transcended the game.

"Reggie was just a great person," Bates said. "Everyone knows what kind of ambassador he was for the NFL. He was a fun-loving guy."

White's family released a statement through spokesman and confidant Shawn White thanking everyone for their support.

"Reggie lived the essence and the spirit of life by faith," the statement read. "The entire family and our extended families have cherished and will continue to cherish every moment and memory of him."

Mourners began lining up at A.L. Jinwright Funeral Service about 2 hours before doors opened at 3 p.m., and fan Orlando Jenkins was one of the first 10 through the door to view the open casket. He donned a replica of White's No. 92 Green Bay Packers jersey, a prized possession he handed down to his stepson a couple of weeks ago.

On this day, Jenkins needed it back.

"He was a very positive man," Jenkins said. "Everybody knows he was a minister, and he was trying to teach those other guys about life. It's real sad."

A two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year and ordained minister who was known as the "Minister of Defense," White played 15 seasons with Philadelphia, Green Bay and Carolina. The 43-year-old retired after the 2000 season as the NFL's career sacks leader with 198. The mark has since been passed by Bruce Smith.

A member of the NFL's 75th anniversary team, White was elected to the Pro Bowl a record 13 straight times from 1986-98. He was the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year in 1987 and 1998.

Outside the funeral home -- the same one that held services for Charlotte Hornets guard Bobby Phills and Panthers tailback Fred Lane -- giant cards were set up for visitors to sign.

Harriet Jinwright, who runs the business with her husband, J.L., said authorities told her to expect between 5,000 and 8,000 people to attend the viewing. A private funeral for White's family and friends will be held Thursday at an undisclosed location.

Current Panthers players Brentson Buckner and Mike Minter didn't plan to attend either service. Minter cited his game-week schedule, while Buckner admitted he felt uncomfortable in that type of setting.

"I'm just bad with things like that," he said after Carolina's practice Wednesday. "My wife is going to go pay respects for us. I want to go, but I'm not good with death."

Although White had already retired by the time Buckner joined the Panthers, the two defensive linemen hit it off immediately when they did meet.

"Being a fan of football, I can tell you everything about him," Buckner said. "Him playing at the University of Tennessee, in the USFL with the Memphis Showboats, with the Eagles and the Packers.

"When I got a chance to meet him, I was just like a little kid."
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast