Thread: new Daytona qualifier race

just above the horizon, but below the ozone

new Daytona qualifier race

daytona link

Daytona 500 qualifying races get facelift
    'Gatorade Duel at Daytona' will now feature two 150-mile races
    December 18, 2004
    10:33 AM EST (15:33 GMT)

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- The qualifying races for the Daytona 500, which feature every Daytona 500 entrant and determine the starting lineup for the "Great American Race," will carry a new name and distance beginning with Speedweeks 2005.

The Gatorade Duel at Daytona, which has traditionally been two 125-mile qualifying races, will now be a pair of 150-mile qualifying races. The extra 25 miles, equivalent to 10 laps, will force teams to re-think their pit strategy as they fight to make the field for the Daytona 500, known as NASCAR's richest and most prestigious race.

In addition, there will be an extended break with live entertainment between the 150-mile Gatorade Duel qualifying races.

In recent years, NASCAR Cup teams had advanced their cars' ability to make the 125-mile distance without a pit stop, which was one thing that prompted the change.

"We're excited about adding a new twist into an already exciting day of racing," Daytona International Speedway president Robin Braig said. "The new distance to the Gatorade Duel At Daytona will give Daytona 500 entrants 10 more laps to fight to make the field for NASCAR's signature event."

This is the second time in the history of the event that the distance has been changed. From 1959-1968, the Daytona 500 qualifying races were each 100 miles. Beginning in 1969, the race was extended to 125 miles.

"In addition to creating a more competitive racing environment for entry into the Daytona 500, the Gatorade Duel At Daytona will deliver an even more compelling and memorable experience to the race fans," Scott Paddock, senior manager, sports marketing for Gatorade, said. "We at Gatorade are very proud of our long standing relationship with Daytona International Speedway and the role we play in fueling the hydration needs of the sports' drivers and teams."

The Daytona 500 uses a different qualifying procedure than any other race in the world. On Budweiser Pole Day: Sunday, Feb. 13, only the fastest two cars earn their starting spots for the Daytona 500.

The remainder of the qualifying procedure for NASCAR's biggest race will remain the same. Credit: Autostock

The fastest qualifier will earn the pole for both the Daytona 500 and the first 150-mile Gatorade Duel qualifying race. The second fastest qualifier earns the outside pole for the Daytona 500 and will start on the pole for the second 150-mile Gatorade Duel qualifying race.

Drivers qualifying in odd-numbered positions will compete in the first Gatorade Duel race while drivers that qualify in even-numbered positions duke it out in the second Gatorade Duel race.

The top 14 finishers, not including the polesitter in the first 150-mile qualifying race, will line up behind the Daytona 500 pole sitter; while the top-14 finishers, not including the outside pole sitter in the second 150-mile Gatorade Duel qualifying race, will line up behind the outside Daytona 500 pole sitter.

Currently, the next eight Daytona 500 starting positions (31-38) are awarded to the drivers with the fastest speed after pole qualifying. The final five positions (39-43) are given to teams that are entitled to a provisional starting position per NASCAR's entry blank for the event.

Also on tap the same day as the Gatorade Duel at Daytona will be NASCAR Busch Series, NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series and Crown Royal IROC practice sessions as well as Florida Dodge Dealers 250 Truck Series Bud Pole Qualifying under the lights.

FORT Fogey
    Very interesting:

Personally, one thing I would have done this year if I were at FOX would have been to have the qualifying races in Wednesday night prime time, with the Wednesday airing of American Idol between races, then have the BUSCH race in prime time on Thursday and the Daytona 500 on Saturday night. In fact, If I were at NASCAR, I would go to an all-Saturday night schedule for what I think will now be the Sprint Cup (on one of the horse racing boards I belong to, it was noted with Sprint buying NEXTEL that the Breeders' Cup Distaff, previously presented by NEXTEL will now be known as the Sprint Distaff, which will be confusing to many in the Sport of Kings since there is a Breeders' Cup Sprint race). That to me could be the spring equal of Monday Night Football, as except for Daytona, the Brickyard 400 and Coca-Cola 600, the most popular races with casual fans seem to be those on Saturday night.

garys girl for life

I never heard this

I never heard about that.I am in love with nascar and I never heard they were doing this.When did they say this please fill me in.I need to hear all about this.I am all For Jamie Mcmurray,Jeff Green,and Kyle Petty.I Think #24 sucks.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by Garysgirl
    I never heard about that.I am in love with nascar and I never heard they were doing this.When did they say this please fill me in.I need to hear all about this.I am all For Jamie Mcmurray,Jeff Green,and Kyle Petty.I Think #24 sucks.

thats why I provided a link. click on it and it takes you to nascar.com

Wallyhorse. lets not ruin a great day with AI. lets keep the amatuers away fromt he pros.

I think it will have very little impact. There is usually a yellow and that will be the pit stop now.
    All the world needs a common thread, soccer, soccer, soccer
    TASAIL !!! ETHAN still #1!!! DISC Go Jon & Kris on TAR

+ Reply to Thread