+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best texas hold'em player?

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Gus Hansen, hands down.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I'm a Phil Hellmuth fan...

The guy is such a jerk - I love the "bad guys," even in poker. I think he has 9 bracelets although its been a while since his last. Sammy Fahder or however you spell it is a strong personality too. I love him. He used to be able to smoke his cigar. Ah, the 1990s.

I hate the "hold em" bandwagon that's rolled out these past 2 years, although it does provide plenty of fodder. I played with a couple of guys last week who didn't know what beat what. I was like, "why are you playing?"

Holding down the FORT... Joe_Madre's Avatar
    To resurrect this from the grave....Doyle Brunson had a VERY impressive win last night on the 2nd WPT show. I mean it was obvious Lee hit a really cold deck, but wow...Doyle literally extracted every penny he could in his heads up match.

Lee calling 400k only playing the board (3-3-9-9-A)vs. Doyle's 10-10 is the kind of high stakes stuff that makes me tingle.
    "Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Madre
    To resurrect this from the grave....Doyle Brunson had a VERY impressive win last night on the 2nd WPT show. I mean it was obvious Lee hit a really cold deck, but wow...Doyle literally extracted every penny he could in his heads up match.

Lee calling 400k only playing the board (3-3-9-9-A)vs. Doyle's 10-10 is the kind of high stakes stuff that makes me tingle.
    You and me both Joe!

I watched last night..as usual.. If I miss any episodes, it's very, very rare.

I bought Phil Hellmuth's book (not because I like HIM, per say) "Play Poker with the Pros"... because he talks about the 4 main different personalities that you'd find at a table..along with a few other things that I found interesting when he was doing an interview on the "Book Smarts" episode (whatever it was called). The tournament was with every player who has written a book.

Mike Sexton-"Shuffle up and Deal"
    Doyle Brunson-"Super System"
    Phil Helmuth-"Play Poker with the Pros"
    TJ Cloutier- (can't remember what his book was called, but he's more attributed to reading other players)
    David Sklanski-"The Theory of Poker"

I dunno if I should be embarrassed that I remembered them all, or proud!

Along with Hellmuth's book, I got "The Theory of Poker" because it had such a wide variety of things that interested me.. such as; pot odds, the math involved in cards/hands, etc..

I just got them 2 days ago~! I'm DYING to start studying...

Holding down the FORT... Joe_Madre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno

TJ Cloutier- (can't remember what his book was called, but he's more attributed to reading other players)

Is it the TJ book on No Limit/ Pot Limit hold'em? I thought it was just ok for me. Super System is a great read. Espcially the 5 card draw section by Mike Caro (who was in attendance last night on the WPT broadcast. Guy looks liek a hobo terrorist)
    I've got Dan Harrington's new bible here and I have not gotten down to reading it yet. I'll try to pound it out next weekend I think.

What did you think about Sklansky's book? I've been debating the purchase.
    "Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Madre
    Is it the TJ book on No Limit/ Pot Limit hold'em?
    That's sounding somewhat familiar..but I can't remember.
    Super System is a great read.
    I was going to get that..maybe I will now.
    Espcially the 5 card draw section by Mike Caro (who was in attendance last night on the WPT broadcast. Guy looks liek a hobo terrorist)
    I forgot to mention him in my earlier post..yes, Mike Caro was there also.. his book is, "Book of Tells". I do not like this guy though.. too damn annoying at the table...and to be quite honest, I think his poker technique is more luck. One thing that I remember him saying, and I believe it to be true.. he says, "you can always tell when someone is talking a lot..bantering with someone.. if they're bluffing. Because if they ARE bluffing, any sort of conversation would be difficult to carry on".. although, eh.. sometimes I've seen Lou Kreger talk right through a full on bluff.

What did you think about Sklansky's book? I've been debating the purchase.
    I've been going through a lot of 'family stuff' this week, and unfortunately I haven't been able to pick it up and read it yet... I just KNOW that I wouldn't absorb it until some 'things' are resolved with my mother. :rolleyes
    But, I'll be sure to let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno

Along with Hellmuth's book, I got "The Theory of Poker" because it had such a wide variety of things that interested me.. such as; pot odds, the math involved in cards/hands, etc..

I just got them 2 days ago~! I'm DYING to start studying...
    Keep us posted...I'd be really interested to read "The Theory of Poker" and would love your take.

Jek Jek- Love this thread

I have all episodes of the WPT and have watched and studied each and every single one. As far as books are concerned, one of my favorites is "The Theory of Poker" by Sklansky. I've read it over and over again...still learning so much from it. His other books are definitely worth purchasing. Great studying material for overall poker strategy and game. For limit games, especially starting out or playing low limit, I recommend "Winning Low Limit Holdem" by Lee Jones. For no limit, I recommend "Super Systems I" and "Super Systems II" by Doyle Brunson and "Hold'em Poker For Advanced Players" by Sklansky. I found "Play Poker Like the Pros" by Hellmuth to be re-hashed information and nothing really valuable that other books haven't already covered. One of my favorite Poker websites for information and articles is Sklansky's www.twoplustwo.com

Joe Madre, "Texas Dollie" was, indeed, very impressive last night. Watching fearless and error-less play always gives me chills.

Last night I went to the ESPN-Zone here in Atlanta for a seminar by Phil Gordon. (Yeah, he's the one from the Celebrity Poker show, but he really CAN play. He's the one that can always come up with the percentages right off the top of his head....) It was pretty cool...they gave away a $10,000 seat to the main event for the World Series of Poker for next year.

After he talked for almost an hour, they had everyone answer 5 questions. For every one you got right, your name was put in for a drawing. (BTW, I got 4 out of the 5 right.) ONLY 215 people were allowed in...we had to stand in line, and many were turned away. They had all the free beer you could drink, and free food (wings, potato skins and nachos!) It was lots of fun...but NO I didn't win the seat at the tournament...but I did win one of the 5 poker chip sets they gave away. It's one of the big ones with 500 clay chips, in an aluminum case. I had Phil Gordon autograph the case. He wrote "Go all in! Phil Gordon". LOL

I've really been bit by the Texas Hold 'Em craze recently. When I was in Vegas last month I played in a couple of tournaments. I won one small one and 7th in a bigger one at Binions. I also play every week at our local sports bar. I won a tournament there a couple of weeks ago that started out with 40 players. Took me from 7:30 until 3 am to do it, though!

Phil Gordon has some very good tips on the game. He's real big on the math part of it. But he said that the game 70% was psychological, 20% mathmatical and 10% luck. I believe I came away learning some new things...All in all it was a good night.
    kitty-cats rule!

Some of my Favorites

Doyle Brunson- 80+ years and still kicking tail, I absolutely love his play. I read his book and he definately knows all the tells.

Phil Ivey- Quiet but one of the best

Howard Lededer- The proffessor of poker

Annie Duke- When she beat Phil Helmuth for WSOP Tournument of champions, I cheered so much, I hate the whiny brat.

Daniel Neteranu- Funny and great player, always has a good time.

Scotty Nyugen- Gotta love Scotty

Johnny Chan- The Legend multiple WSOP winner

Chris Moneymaker- give us online players hope

Jennifer Harmon- A great lookin lady and wonderful player, love it when she smiles and takes your chips( ahem right, mr. Helmuth)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12