+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: NBA

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bannana
    Sure it is fun to watch Shaq do his thang, but I want my kids to see what working together as a team can do.
    When I read this I thought of the Lakers, not the Heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    This was a wonderful series played by two evenly matched teams. There was nothing dirty about the way anyone played (quite refreshing) and both coaches recognized when they had been completely outplayed. Neither coach blamed health for any of it.
    Of course.

Thanks for clarifying that for me Broadway - you are exactly right. I meant no disrespect to anyone. I just see the Pistons as having a great team of players with a pretty deep bench. If a player comes out, there is another that can fill the void almost seamlessly.
    No disrespect taken, I agree with both you and Broadway. Great series. However, I really didn't prefer one team over the other. I just wanted to see it go to seven games. All I care is that the Spurs bring it back to the west in the end.

Take Shaq out of the game for any reason, and well, he is irreplaceable.
    This sounds like an argument for why Shaq should have been MVP.
    Last edited by WomynLee; 06-09-2005 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WomynLee
    Shaq should be the MVP every year, as far as I'm concerned.

Oooh, my controversial statement of the day: I think this series just completely clinched, for me, my opinion that Shaq is one of the most overrated players in the league. Shaq was nothing without Dwyane Wade in the game. He did absolutely nothing in Game 6 and he pretty much stank in Game 7. He's a 7'2 guy that's built like a tank... all he needs to do is stand under a basket and hook the ball in. Very few people can guard him, not because he's good, but because he's huge.

But as a team player I think Shaq is definitely important and talented. He ranks up there with players that make their teams better just by their presence and leadership. But that doesn't equate into MVP qualities in my eyes.

The Miami Heat, as a team, I have the utmost respect for. They were fabulous, and I definitely thought they were going to kick our butt.

I have no real knowledge of San Antonio as a team.... just never followed them, so I'm going to have to take everyone's opinion that they're most likely going to kick our behind, too.

I agree that Shaq has his flaws, but even now that he's aging and has been playing hurt, his team made it to game seven of the conference finals. Replace Shaq with any other center in the league, and the Heat probably doesn't even make the playoffs.

No one impacts the game like Shaq does. And sure he depends on Wade, but that's in part because Wade is so good and in part because the rest of the Heat are so mediocre. Shaq couldn't beat a team as good as Detroit by himself, and that's basically what he would have had to do with Wade on the bench.

You could put Shaq on any team in the league and they're a title contender (this year was proof of that). That isn't true of any other player in the league. Even guys like Duncan and Garnett don't impact the game like Shaq does.

That said, Shaq's flaws basically break down to conditioning and free throw shooting. If he could have improved those two areas over the course of his career, I think he would go down as without a doubt the best center ever (he might be that, anyway) and probably the best player ever, as well. He is incredibly athletic for a guy his size, but he wears down due to the beating he takes (and dishes out) and also probably wouldn't have had some of the injuries he's had to deal with if he were in better shape.

The free throws are just a killer. I've heard that he works at free throw shooting really hard and can hit them pretty well in practice. I have a feeling that the conditioning factors into this as well. It's one thing to hit free throws when you're just standing in a gym in practice, and another to do it after you've been running up and down the court and doing battle with guys like Ben Wallace over the course of a game. If he could just hit 60-70% of his free throws, he would be unstoppable. (If he could hit 80-90% of his free throws, it would be unfair.) Since he hasn't done it by now, it isn't going to happen. But if I'm a coach with a decent free throw shooting, well-conditioned Shaq, my offense is going through him every single possession and he's scoring 50+ a game, easy.

I think Shaq's probably got one good run left in him. His best days are definitely behind him, but he's still the best center in the game. I hope Miami can add some more talent and depth to give him a shot at another title.

I absolutely agree with you, Chach. Miami was 42-40 last year and 59-23 this year, with Shaq being the only difference. I won't even mention what happened to the Lakers.

For whatever reason they gave MVP to Tim Duncan in 2002 vs. Jason Kidd, is the same reason I think they should have given it to Shaq this year. He is the most valuable player, IMO.

Now I'm off to watch the game...

Bummer - Pistons lose game 1.
    Spurs stepped it up and came back with a vengence.
    Sunday - cannot wait until Sunday.

*throws two Pennies in the ring*

San Antonio is going to win. I think both the Pistons and the Spurs are true teams and have respect for both. Spurs will take it because they have defense and offense. The Pistons aren't used to playing against a team with true defensive talent and I don't know if they can make the adjustment in time. The Spurs have at least four guys on the bench that used to start and could right now if needed.

and..... Robert Horry. How many rings does that dude have? Every team he goes to, wins. He comes off the bench shooting threes!

*creeps back into the shadows*
    ]

GINOBILIIIIIIII!!!

GINOBILIIIIIIII!!!
    If Ginobili wasn't a superstar when this series began, he will be when it's over.

And as much as I enjoy watching the Pistons when they are playing well, I can't stand watching them when they are losing. Not exactly candidates for the sportsmanship trophy.

I've never been a Sheed fan - and that attitude of his is poisonous. Even Larry Brown is whining about calls and getting T'd up.

Agree Chach - they lost points on my respect o'meter by whining about calls. Seems like they do that when they get spanked...like in last night's game.

+ Reply to Thread