+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: NBA

Just found THIS article from last week.. and I think it's quite amusing.

Detroit hasnít won the East, not yet, but you have to like their chances. And, as youíll surely read or here soon enough, if you havenít already, the NBA suits in New York have to be tearing their hair out at the prospects of a finals between the lunch-bucket Pistons and the duller-than-plastic-steak-knives Spurs.

Theyíll take the Spurs, not least because it doesnít look as if they have a lot of choice. But at Least San Antonio has Tim Duncan, one of the most admired players the league has ever had, and Manu Ginobili, the Argentinian answer to Pete Maravich.

Itís the Pistons who have to be galling folks back at the home office. Yes, theyíre the defending champions, and fine and deserving champs they are. But the NBA built its marketing campaign on individual stars, and the Pistons donít have people like that.

All the Pistons are is a team ó you know, one of those things in which the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and itís all for one and one for all. Who wants that when you could be having Shaquille OíNeal in the finals; when you could have Dwyane Wade?

Detroit, in case the news hasnít reached you, isnít Hollywood. Nor is it the Big Apple or the Windy City or the Hub or the City of Brotherly Love or South Beach. Itís a rusting hulk that shares a media market with Canada; Buffalo without the glitter.

It is, the experts are sure to tell you, a ratings nightmare.

And that is exactly whatís wrong with the NBA. Instead of lamenting the possible departure of Shaq and Dwyane, we ought to be getting ready to celebrate as remarkable a team as the NBA has seen in a long time.

If you havenít watched them yet, you owe it to yourself to turn off the phone, lay in a supply of your favorite beverages and munchies, and sit down to take in a game. And not just the first and fourth quarters, but the whole game.

Thanks Broadway and a big to the folks who wrote that article. There is a similar story on MSNBC.com. Perhaps people will tune in to watch what those of us in the Great State of Michigan have been enjoying for the past 2 years. A Great TEAM that functions like a well oiled machine. Sure it is fun to watch Shaq do his thang, but I want my kids to see what working together as a team can do.

Congrats to the Pistons, but I was pulling for Miami. Shaq and D. Wade are my two favorite players in the league. Too bad for them that they were injured and don't have much of a team around them. The Pistons were clutch and deserved to win, though. I was just hoping Shaq could get a title in his first year in Miami, just to stick it to the Lakers and Kobe.

It should be a great finals. A Heat/Suns final would have been flashier, but these are the two best teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bannana
    Sure it is fun to watch Shaq do his thang, but I want my kids to see what working together as a team can do.
    Huh? The Heat lost because they didn't work as a team? They lost because they were riddled with injuries and the Pistons outplayed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chach
    Congrats to the Pistons, but I was pulling for Miami.
    There goes my Chach-love.

I am a big fan of Dwyane Wade, too... the guy is an amazing player and is only going to get better. I was also impressed with Haslem.

WomynLee, I am sure that what AnaBannana meant is that the Pistons are an all around team of 9 solid, equal caliber players (as recognized by every sportscaster/writer out there and as cited in the article that I quoted,) as opposed to the Heat that have O'Neal and Wade as their superstars, then Mourning, Haslem, and Jones that are a little bit lower caliber. Having Wade injured for the last two games certainly had an effect on how well the team played... but the guy is one player. If the team falls apart based upon one guy being injured, then that clearly demonstrates that they aren't a solid team in the truest definition. We kicked Wade's butt in game 1, handled him quite solidly in game 2 and 4, too. His health didn't play a major part in game 7... he was awesome and it was one of the better games that he played.

And the Pistons were not completely healthy, either. To top it off, Ben Wallace's son had surgery this week and he also lost three family members in the past week or two so he could have potentially had some emotional distractions.

This was a wonderful series played by two evenly matched teams. There was nothing dirty about the way anyone played (quite refreshing) and both coaches recognized when they had been completely outplayed. Neither coach blamed health for any of it.

Thanks for clarifying that for me Broadway - you are exactly right. I meant no disrespect to anyone. I just see the Pistons as having a great team of players with a pretty deep bench. If a player comes out, there is another that can fill the void almost seamlessly. Take Shaq out of the game for any reason, and well, he is irreplaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    There goes my Chach-love.
    Don't be hatin' Broadway.

I'm a fan of the Pistons, and wouldn't care about the Heat at all except for the Shaq/Wade combo. The Pistons don't have any individual players that I really enjoy watching, but as a team they are something special, and that's what it's all about. And Detroit did make the brilliant move of drafting Darko instead of D. Wade, so you've got that going for you as well.

Plus, Larry Brown is a close personal friend of mine. Well, maybe that's stretching it a bit, but I saw him a lot when I was in college and he actually knew me by name. (Long story, not that interesting.) I think he's the best coach in the game, and am always pulling for him to do well. I was very glad he won an NBA title and hope he gets another one. And I hope people in Detroit won't be too hard on him if he leaves, because I'm sure it will be due to health reasons.

The Pistons will have their hands full with the Spurs - should be fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chachi
    And Detroit did make the brilliant move of drafting Darko instead of D. Wade, so you've got that going for you as well.
    Heh... smarty pants. Can you imagine the Pistons with D.Wade??? wow

Pretty cool that you know Larry Brown. He's a very classy, upstanding guy. I don't think you're going to hear anything negative from the Detroit media and fans if (when, really) he leaves. Everyone knows the struggles he's had, especially this last year, and that situation hasn't resolved itself. People are really treating him with a lot of respect. I'm sure they'll find one bonehead, however, and that bonehead will be the one that people air on tv.

I'm just looking forward to having someone other than Doug Collins doing the commentating. That boy can hold a serious, serious grudge.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by WomynLee
    I wouldn't count Detroit out just yet. I made that mistake last season.

Nope, not yet, I just got my "D" ball cap and plane tix to Deeetroit City - hey, Broadway.....can I borrow your sofa? Again?

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    Nope, not yet, I just got my "D" ball cap and plane tix to Deeetroit City - hey, Broadway.....can I borrow your sofa? Again?
    Absolutely. We can stumble home from the Palace together.

+ Reply to Thread