+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: NBA

I think I'm jinxing all my teams outta round one this year. Sacto & Philly both out after tonight, my only hope left is Houston and dammit, it does not look good.

VG has a right to be pissed. Cuban whines and complains and gets his way and makes officials pay closer attention to certain players. If it was such a huge problem, I don't see why he decided to way till after two playoff losses to make a statement about it when he could've done so during any of the 4 regular season meetings.

Stern has been heavily criticized about officiating for years. Especially ever since that Game 6 Western Conference finals (yeah any Kings fan will never forget that one). No surprise that any harm to the NBA's integrity will result in a heavy fine. Not to mentoin Stern wants to do an investigation and even consider a lifetime ban on VG. If he even seriously considers the latter then he is in for some heavy criticism and this will definitely open the door for suspicion.

Plus, how OBVIOUS was it that Michael Finley had his entire body clearly OUT OF BOUNDS?!

NY Times article on the Van Gundy situation.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/05/sp...gewanted=print

Link requires free registration

Stern's Game Can Be Called Misdirection
    By SELENA ROBERTS
    AS a lawyer with a sly mind in constant motion, David Stern understands the art of throwing suspicion in one direction to divert attention from the real culprit.

So it was not surprising to see Stern boldly scold a whistleblower instead of the men who blow the whistles.

In eye-catching fashion, Stern assailed the integrity of Houston Coach Jeff Van Gundy this week when Van Gundy refused to divulge the Deep Throat in officiating who had told him there was a league conspiracy against Yao Ming.

Stern beamed the attention on Van Gundy by smacking him with a record-breaking $100,000 fine, by vocally ratcheting the temperature on him, by shepherding a whisper campaign to portray Van Gundy as a fantasist.

All Van, all the time. Sound bites can certainly make for nice subterfuge. Remaining strategically unnoticed has been the untidy issue of referee credibility.

Much of Stern's focus was on how wrong Van Gundy was, but what if Van Gundy was right about the bias of officiating? Much of Stern's outrage has been directed at coaches who publicly lobby for calls, but they do it because they believe it works.

More than anyone, coaches view the frame-by-frame of every game and of every call. They can do the before-and-after of their postgame rants against the refs. Obviously, they see results.

Are referees this malleable? Does the league want to know?

The N.B.A. doesn't like to acknowledge the potential presence of a cheating gene in its midst. In the late 90's, more than 20 league officials were hit with tax-evasion charges when they exchanged their first-class tickets for coach seats and kept the change. Two years ago, in court documents filed by Karla Knafel, a former mistress of Michael Jordan's, the official Eddie F. Rush was described as the matchmaker who played cupid for the clandestine couple.

Tax cheating, wife cheating. It is not so difficult to assume that deceptive practices could transfer to the basketball court, but the league doesn't view it that way.

The N.B.A. reinstated a few of the tax evaders, and Rush was later promoted, even though he might have crossed an implied code against cozy conduct.

Believe it or not, there was not an official codification of fraternization rules until last year, when, as the N.B.A. spokesman Tim Andre said yesterday, it was inserted into the work rules during the 2004 collective-bargaining agreement between the referees and the N.B.A.

Maybe the league thought they had a problem. And maybe they do.

The ref who talked to Van Gundy and discussed the anti-Yao calls was in clear breach of the rules. But the rules are apparently pliable. On the official Web site for N.B.A. referees, there is a note that promotes Bob Delaney's Referee Development School at IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla.

This is the same Delaney who has been officiating in the playoffs. For as much as $1,825 for a four-day session this summer, campers can sponge up Delaney's referee knowledge and even officiate scrimmage games with real-live N.B.A. players.

In the off-season, the IMG Academy is buzzing with hoop stars from Chauncey Billups to Erick Dampier. It is not far-fetched to wonder if a player who participates in Delaney's school believes he has done his favorite referee - wink, wink - a favor.

League officials said they had reviewed Delaney's school but found no reason to assume the worst. Andre said the league had waived its fraternization policy for Delaney.

Odd how the refs get the benefit of the doubt, but the coaching complaints do not.

For years, some coaches have privately wondered about referee ethics. On rare occasions, officials have been known to ask for extra tickets from teams and even request shoes from players.

If true, who is going to call out a code-of-conduct violator? Who is going to risk the wrath of referee backlash?

It is true that coaches are a paranoid bunch, and Van Gundy is not alone. But their suspicions about referees, about calls being orchestrated, about star treatment for certain players and teams, cannot be completely unfounded.

The league does not want to go there. It is much more comfortable with the image of Van Gundy being cast as a truth-averse schemer. Van Gundy is many things - a manipulator and a survivor - but he is not known to be a liar.

In fact, in his time, he has been candid to his own detriment. During his days as the Knicks' coach in the late 90's, he once called Michael Jordan "a con man" and Phil Jackson "Big Chief Triangle."

He wasn't smart, but he was right on both counts. Now, once again, Van Gundy has disclosed too much for his own good in what Stern described as a new low for coach-speak. Stern was happy to cast the information Van Gundy related as wicked gamesmanship - and it might have been - but Van Gundy may have been right, as well.

Stern barely wants to consider that possibility. He isn't running an investigation of Van Gundy's allegations to uncover an officiating conspiracy; Stern is beginning it as a scare tactic against the next coach who wants to speak out.

It is much cleaner to isolate this controversy to Van Gundy - and localize the N.B.A.'s image pain - than to consider an alternate culprit to the game's integrity.

E-mail: selenasports@nytimes.com
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Bulls - Eliminated. Nuggets - Eliminated.

Well, that's it. All of my NBA interests are out. I am now officially looking forward to College Hoops again!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

I'd like to see a Phoenix-Miami final with The Heat winning. Shaq should've been the MVP!

Anyone want to place any bets on how long it takes for the first fight to break out in the Detroit-Indiana series starting tonight????
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

It would be funny (in a very perverse sort of way) if it turned into a full-scale riot right after the opening tip-off.

Stern has a serious Napoleonic complex going. The guy is acting like a dictator and is getting a little out of control if you ask me. I know he is trying to protect the game but he goes overboard at times. Just like last year when Sprewell made the idiotic I can't feed my family on my exhorbant salary statement Stern chimed in when it clearly wasn't an issue for the commissioner's office to even comment on. Protect the league but don't become a dictator in doing it.

Nash didn't deserve the NBA because he can't check any other PG in the league. Incredible offensive player who brilliantly directed the Phoenix offense but still he plays absolutely no defense and I think that should be a consideration when deciding the MVP. The fact that Nash won a MVP shows how watered down the league is, Kevin Johnson put up bigger numbers on a consistent basis and never was a MVP or 1st team all NBA. Also I think that Canadian sportswriter who didn't even vote Shaq on his MVP list shouldn't get to vote in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackshade
    Nash didn't deserve the NBA because he can't check any other PG in the league. Incredible offensive player who brilliantly directed the Phoenix offense but still he plays absolutely no defense and I think that should be a consideration when deciding the MVP. The fact that Nash won a MVP shows how watered down the league is, Kevin Johnson put up bigger numbers on a consistent basis and never was a MVP or 1st team all NBA. Also I think that Canadian sportswriter who didn't even vote Shaq on his MVP list shouldn't get to vote in the future.
    I admire Nash and what he's done in Phoenix, but him getting MVP is a joke. Dallas is actually better without him! Compare that to Shaq's situation where the Heat got much better with him and the Lakers collapsed without him. As good as Nash is, there are other point guards who are as good as he is offensively - and would have fit in nicely in Phoenix - and nearly every PG in the league is better than Nash on defense. In contrast, no on else in the league could have made the impact on Miami that Shaq did. I've always felt that Shaq has been under-appreciated, and this is just further proof. It's like people take away from his abilities and impact because he's so big.

Speaking of Stern and concern about the league's image, he should be thanking his lucky stars every day that Shaq is such a good natured guy. He plays the whole game with two or three guys hanging on him and beating on him. If Shaq had the wanna-be gangsta attitude of Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson, Rasheed, etc., the NBA would need body bags to take the opposing team off the court whenever Shaq plays. If he had a bad attitude, the NBA would be really, really ugly. Shaq should be the MVP every year as far as I'm concerned. No one has more of an impact on his team than Shaq.
    Last edited by Chach; 05-09-2005 at 07:37 PM.

I am happy for Nash, but I think Shaq is the MVP every year. He is just beyond dominant.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I may be bias but Nash deserved the MVP. He made Phoenix turn it around far better than Shaq did in Miami. I am glad the award was given to someone who makes every other person around him better and someone who is humble (a rarity in the NBA). Shaq didn't have anywhere near his best season. I don't think he deserved it at all this season.

+ Reply to Thread