+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: NBA Friday Night Fights

NBA Friday Night Fights

I just saw the video, and I'm disgusted.

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- Indiana's Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson charged into the stands and fought with fans in the final minute of their game against the Detroit Pistons on Friday night, and the brawl forced an early and ugly end to the Pacers' 97-82 win.

Officials stopped the game with 45.9 seconds remaining after pushing and shoving between the teams spilled into the stands and fans began throwing things at the players near the scorer's table.

"It's the ugliest thing I've seen as a coach or player," said Pistons coach Larry Brown, who was in the middle of the confrontation, trying to break it up.

After several minutes of players fighting with fans in the stands, the Pacers were pelted with beer, ice, and popcorn as they made their way to the locker room in one of the scariest brawls in an NBA game.

"I felt like I was fighting for my life out there," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "I'm sorry the game had to end this way."

The Palace announcer said the game was being stopped and pleaded with fans not to throw things.

It all started when Detroit's Ben Wallace went in for a layup and was fouled hard by Artest from behind.

Wallace wheeled around and pushed Artest in the face. The benches emptied and punches were thrown.

As the players continued shoving each other near center court and coaches tried to restore order, Artest sprawled out on his back on the scorer's table, looking relaxed.

Just when it appeared tempers had died down, Artest was struck by a full cup thrown from the stands. He jumped up, and charged into the stands, throwing punches as he climbed over seats.

Fans were punching back, and Jackson and another teammate joined Artest in the melee.

Detroit's Rasheed Wallace and Indiana's David Harrison were also in or near the stands.

As the crowd roared, drinks and debris showered the court and the Pacers players covered their heads as they hustled through the runway leading to the locker room.

A man in a Pistons jersey approached Artest on the court with fists raised, shouting at him. Artest punched him in the face, knocking the man to the floor before leaving the court. Artest was pulled away, and the fan charged back. O'Neal stepped in and punched the man.

"The NBA is withholding comment until it can review the incident," NBA spokesman Tim Frank said.

Pistons spokesman Tom Wilson said he did not believe anyone would be arrested.

Players from both teams left without comment.

Police prevented reporters from crossing the loading dock to get to Indiana's locker room or the area where the Pacers' bus was located.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=241119008

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysluggo
    A man in a Pistons jersey approached Artest on the court with fists raised, shouting at him. Artest punched him in the face, knocking the man to the floor before leaving the court. Artest was pulled away, and the fan charged back. O'Neal stepped in and punched the man.

"
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=241119008

I saw this and laughed my butt off. just like it was being played on the play ground. some one got touched and then the boys got to break bad.

oh, by the by, the fan didn't get knocked dwon in the video i saw, he got knocked down by another guy who came flying in and sucker punched him. which from what I have seen of most of the basketball fights is the way most of these sissy boys fight. sucker punch city. or they swing and run

You're right, joeguy.... Artest didn't knock the man down with his punch, but Jermaine O'Neal was the one that came after him and punched the fan.

You know... the entire crap started with Artest's cheap foul and it continued with his charging the crowd and then taunting them into continuing. If there aren't major fines levied against him then there's going to be some trouble.

Aren't Detroit fans great???
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

here's an interesting article I just read. The writer is calling for Artest to be thrown out of the NBA once and for all.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...act/index.html
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Its about time I respond to an NBA thread.

I'm backing up the players 100% and obviously with Cwebb in my name, I'm not a Pacers or Pistons fan. Heck, I hated the Pacers and was rooting for the Pistons in the playoffs last year!

Anyways, time and time again fans have crossed the line more than once. Antoine Walker was physically grabbed by fans last year, Boston fans made signs about Jason Kidd beating his wife while his son TJ was there (I hate Kidd, but that was despicable), and the infamous Philly fans, always there to boo Destiny's Child or throw beer on the court.

The Pacers reaction was understandable, not justifiable. Ron Artest's foul was a hard foul at most, it did not warrant the overreaction by Big Ben. However, I can also understand where Big Ben's perspective as this has been a heated game, a huge rivalry, and you're down 15 with 45 seconds left, you lost. But, Shaq gets these treatments day in and day out and I've only seen him flinched once (to my boy Brad Miller).

Ron stepped away from the fight and laid on the scorers table with headphones on ignoring everything. Ben even threw an additional towel at him while everyone restrained him. Some idiot fan decides that it was his duty to escalate emotions. Ron already got one slap to the face, one towel to the face, is he really going to tolerate beer to the face after dealing with all the previous crap? Yeah he's a professional athlete, he should've known better, but he's also human and he's no different than anyone in that stand and anyone sitting at home. He has emotions too. He has limits too.

These fans all threw cheapshots, every single one of them from behind. Fred Jones was trying to stop the fight and was assaulted by a fatso twice his size. Then you have fans trespassing onto the court thinking that just because they paid tickets and are fans they have every right to ridicule the players all they want.

If any player deserves more punishment, its Stephen Jackson. He threw the first visible punch and not to mention wasn't even involved in anything initially. You can either say he was defending his team mate or you can say he was exploiting the situation.

Its ridiculous for Mannix to suggest throwing Artest out of the league when Rodman survived and Spree survived choking his coach. That's a death threat if you ask me.

Also, why are people bringing up Artest's record label to justify further suspensions? What does that have to do with anything? Just because it occured recently doesn't mean explains anything,

~Phew~

On a bright side!! KINGS WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrsCwebb that was a great post!

But, I feel the players involved are just as much to blame in this situation as the fans who were involved. I don't think Artest should have sprawled out on the announce table...imo, it seemed more of a mockery than to calm down. He should have just sat down on his bench. And then when Artest did go into the stands, he didn't even attack the person who threw the cup...he went after someone else. I agree about Stephen Jackson. He did not have any reason to go in the stands other than to pull back his teammate, but he didn't do that. He just threw punches.

Yes, they're professional athletes, but this stuff happens. Having a cup of soda thrown at you does not justify going into the stands and attacking someone...let alone the wrong person. He is not the first person to have something thrown at him. I remember a football game where fans throw snowballs with rocks in them at players. Athletes should expect this stuff to happen...its sad to think that they do...but right now...its just how it is until some rules are in place to protect both the fans and the athletes.

I think that people involved, both players and fans, should be issued some hefty fines. Sure the fines might not really hurt the athlete's wallets but it will hurt a fan's wallet. Neither party was innocent.

Oh..and the infamous Philly fans also booed Santa Claus...

Man, I am still soooo heated from this fight. I think everyone was wrong, but the fans were the instigator and should be reprimanded heavily. The amount of verbal abuse these players go through is immeasurable.

The suspensions.....

My thoughts:
    Ben Wallace 3-5 games
    Ron Artest 10-15 games
    Stephen Jackson 10-15 games
    Jermaine O'Neal 3-5 games
    Fred Jones 2 games

If Artest is gonna get 20+, I'm gonna be thoroughly pissed off.

Even Shaq said he would've done the same thing if he were in Artest's situation. One can only take so much in a day. Shove in the face, towel thrown at you and when you try to be the good guy, you get beer thrown at you.

IMO, it was just one fan who instigated it. The one who throw the cup should have something done to him, but so should the any player who went into the stands to fight.

IMO, they also need better trained security and more of it. Stephen Smith said that these are not the type of security trained to break up brawls. I think there should be security behind the players benches and the announce tables so as to protect the athletes or fans.

One fan instigated it, but a few exploited the situation (the ones that went down the court & the huge one that attacked Fred jones, actually there were those who attacked Jermaine as he was caught in the crowd as well).

Security sucked and for them to say they had sufficient security is a complete and utter lie. Sufficient security would PREVENT these situations from occuring, but this obviously escalated further than a simple fan-player wrestle.

On a less serious note: Don't these fans realize who they're messing with though? Do they NOT remember that Jermaine came from Portland Jailblazers? I wonder if Jayson Williams was there what would they have done. hehe.

But :phhht to all involved. I wasn't able to enjoy my Kings win as thoroughly.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    And people say Detriot and NY don't miss hockey . Tsk tsk tsk. :nono

Lucky thing it wasn't in Philly or the fires would still be burning..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast