+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: NBA Friday Night Fights

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    Is Artest the guy who was recording a rap cd and wanted several games off at the begining of the season to "rest"?

I bet those "fans" are already counting their lawsuit money. The old lady lying on the floor was an awful site...and who threw the chair?
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaFabulous
    ...and who threw the chair?
    Not 100% positive....but I think it was thrown by a fan.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

First report in... they've identified the fan that threw the cup and he has come in for questioning, but has now sought an attorney. He'll be charged with inciting a riot.

They're still trying to identify the person that threw the chair. They'll be charged with felonious assault.

The Pistons have already rearranged the seating around the players' benches. They've removed rows and have added additional railings, as well as added additional police presence.

I'm still really surprised by your misplaced anger, Quinn. I'm shocked that you think the fans are going to get away with their actions, as even heckling fans are thrown out of games all of the time. The simple fact is that, with the exception of the fan that threw the initial cup of beer, the crowd would not have lost control had Artest, Jackson, and O'Neal not charged the crowd. Once the punches started flying the crowd got out of control. Had they never gone into the crowd you would have had absolutely none of the resulting riot. That's why they received such harsh, but well-deserved punishment.

And AJ... the one day suspensions happened because of getting off of the bench due to the initial argument. That rule is in place and I've seen many a player get suspended for that very reason. That's just a normal rule.. not as a result of the riot.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    First report in... they've identified the fan that threw the cup and he has come in for questioning, but has now sought an attorney. He'll be charged with inciting a riot.
    But do you think the fan actually thought all that would happen when he threw the cup? He's no more guilty of "enticing a riot" than Ben Wallace is.
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

I'm sure he didn't, Amanda, but he's going to pay the price, unfortunately. At the risk of Quinn's ire... I'd say that that guy deserves to be charged with assault and the "inciting a riot" charges lay with Artest.

They apparently have 65 tapes of the incident, and they have the person that threw the chair on a home video. If they can pull that part out of the video they'll be showing it on air to get people to help identify him. Press conference sometime this afternoon.

And, to clarify, the person that threw the cup was definitely not the kid that Artest assaulted.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaFabulous
    But do you think the fan actually thought all that would happen when he threw the cup? He's no more guilty of "enticing a riot" than Ben Wallace is.
    Here's the thing.....perhaps the fan didn't think all of this would happen just by throwing a cup, but the fact that he/she thought they could throw a cup onto the floor/at a player with impugnity is a HUGE issue in itself. Yes, players should not go into the stands, but at some point, there must be some response to the fan that throws something, otherwise, more fans are going to add their $.02, and throw more and more. And that is so dangerous to players, coaches, refs, AND FANS that are on the floor. Think about the fact that these guys on the floor/field/whatever are CLEAR TARGETS. They need to know that they can do their job without fear of being beaned by a battery, a full cup, a souvenier, or even a weapon of some kind.

Yeah, I don't think the fan that Artest first attacked threw the cup, but I will bet that he had the correct area it was thrown from, and I will also bet that the fat POS that started wailing on Artest immediately after he got into the stands was the guy that DID.

Hey, no love for Artest, or any of the Pacers here. Nor really much for any Pistons(Bulls fan, and memories of Lambeer the sneer), or their fans. This has huge ramifications for the NBA, its players, and ALL of the fans. Which is why I keep my nose OUT of the NBA, and into the NCAA.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdob
    Hey, no love for Artest, or any of the Pacers here. Nor really much for any Pistons(Bulls fan, and memories of Lambeer the sneer), or their fans. This has huge ramifications for the NBA, its players, and ALL of the fans. Which is why I keep my nose OUT of the NBA, and into the NCAA.
    wholeheartedly agree. I love college ball so much better than pro ball. I stopped watching pro back in the Rodman days when the players became so freaking lazy that they just mildly jogged to the other end of the court in between baskets instead of consistently driving hard like in college ball. I'll stand by my Spartans through thick and thin... and became a UConn fan when I lived outo there.

And Laimbeer the Sneer, eh?? Heh... that's a new one, but he (and the rest of the Bad Boys) were indeed worthy.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    inciting a riot would sound like a fair charge to the fan... the fans have to understand that there is a consequence for every action... they are not part of the game- and just like Artest's actions have consequences , so do theirs!

I also think a league fine of the Pistons organization would force Detroit and every other NBA city to realize they do have a huge responsibility when situations like arise.

I think what will get really interesting in this is if the local DA presses charges against the fans who deserve it. Then he/she might also be in the position of needing to prosecute some of the players involved too.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I think what will get really interesting in this is if the local DA presses charges against the fans who deserve it. Then he/she might also be in the position of needing to prosecute some of the players involved too.
    I'm betting the prosecutor does charge both.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast