+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: NBA Friday Night Fights

Yellow bands was Stephen Jackson then.

But right behind them on the left side of the screen you'll see this big fat guy in a gray outfit hitting Fred Jones from behind. I felt so bad for Fred Jones coz he was truly trying to separate things and suddenly this fan decides to swing @ him just because he's a Pacers.

I wonder if any Pacers fan started running out the door.

Here's hoping.

One of the things that annoys me the most (althought it's definitely a mild annoyance compared to the seriousness of what happened) is the stereotyping that's taking place about Detroit and all of the nasty racial comments I've heard in the last two days. It's way over the top and I've seen it perpetuated on ESPN, and on the Fox football broadcast with Howie and Terry today.

To clear up even a small little bit... The Palace is 40 miles north of Detroit in a pretty wealthy county. The seats right around the floor where all of this took place go for $100 and up on a normal night (like this early in the season), and the folding chairs are even more expensive. These fans were not what the general, uneducated population are calling "thugs that should have never been let out of jail", among other things. That part of the news reports is just completely, disgustingly wrong.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Cwebb
    But right behind them on the left side of the screen you'll see this big fat guy in a gray outfit hitting Fred Jones from behind.
    I'm too lazy to look it up and this may just be plain wrong but I swear that it said in our paper this morning that the guy in the gray outfit is Wallace's brother.

I think Artest's total penalty will be 73 games and $5.5MM.

Now that is a real penalty. Well deserved too given the specific incident and his history.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Quote Originally Posted by Bill

Now that is a real penalty. Well deserved too given the specific incident and his history.
    I think Stephen Jackson should have been suspended just as long as Artest was.

When I first heard what the suspensions were going to be...my inital thought was that was too harsh. But then, when I actually thought about it, I thought okay..maybe it does fit. Just because their athletes, they shouldn't get special treatment. If that would have been an average joe schmo who went and attacked another person, than joe schmo would have been arrested.

I just wonder what kind of punishment the fans who were part of this incident will recieve from the authorities. Jail time..maybe?

Leo
    Premium Member
    I'm quite happy with the punishment meted out to the players. I'm surprised that the NBA handed out suspensions aside from the four (Artest, Jackson, O'Neal, Wallace) they suspended earlier. Did I miss something?

I guess this means Ron Artest will have plenty of time to promote his album now.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    I'm quite happy with the punishment meted out to the players. I'm surprised that the NBA handed out suspensions aside from the four (Artest, Jackson, O'Neal, Wallace) they suspended earlier. Did I miss something?
    Leo... I certainly didn't see Anthony Johnson involved in the fighting, but he must have been. The four guys that got one day received that for leaving the bench during the initial Wallace/Artest scuffle (even though they were just trying to keep the guys apart.)
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    In Europe- if similar things happen in a Soccer match, the club is heavily fined!

I think the Pistons organization should be heavily fined in this situation. Fans are not part of the game- no matter how many beer muscles they develop over the course of the game- fans are not, or ever will be- part of the game... in this case the fans werent happy with the treatment of Wallace during the game- and they felt the need to voice their opinion by throwing beer at players who were within the confines of the field of play... here's hoping that somehow the Pistons organization and the fans involved get their punishment... but somehow i envision these same insitgating, punch throwing fans dishing out huge $$$ frivilous lawsuits against the Pacers players... it's wrong on so many levels

The fines levied out against the players does nothing to deter fans from hecking and instigating a visiting player... at this point I'd pay $100 to sit behind the Pistons bench when they come to Orlando- and "talk" to Ben and the rest of the Pistons during the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill

Yes, yes, and yes. Nice to see David Stern has a pair of brass ones. Well done.

Jackson doesn't have Artest's rep, which is the only possible reason I can see for him not receiving equal punishment. Both players totally lost control. Utterly disgraceful, and I commend the NBA for not putting up with that kind of crap.

I was initially confused by the one-game suspensions, but after thinking about it I can understand the logic. A message obviously needs to be sent, and this is loud and clear enough so even the dumbest player will get it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda
    For those of you who haven't seen it, here is the full footage of the whole debacle.

I really need to start watching basketball.
    Might I recommend COLLEGE HOOPS for all of you who, like me, are disgusted by this fiasco?

The fans are way more into their team in College Hoops, but fights are very minimal. The fans participate, but they keep their participation OFF of the court. It's rare when something is thrown from the seats into the arena of play, and even then, typically, it's not thrown AT the players, but is usually something silly, like a paper airplane or a beach ball.

Oh look, College Hoops is starting up....I better go start a new thread!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast