+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: NBA Friday Night Fights

I watched the fight last night and Artest didn't throw the punches at first but he sure asked for them. Then going after the fans? How stupid can you get? What do you think will come out of that...More jersey sales? I feel bad to admit that I did think it was hilarious, it got so out of hand and no one knew what to do. I wore my Reggie Miller jersey last night just for his efforts of grabbing Artest and pulling him out of there...plus using his ears to fly away to safety.

For those of you who haven't seen it, here is the full footage of the whole debacle.

I really need to start watching basketball.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Me too Amanda. I always though it was kind of a wuss sport with guys that freak if they get a hangnail or if their water isn't the proper temperature. . It may fill that hockey void yet since I have two boys who are fans.
    Potential.

The suspensions were handed down today.

IIRC, Wallace got 5 games, Jackson and O'Neal got 20 games, and Artest got 30 games.

Now we just wait to see what the local officials do. All indications are that the Oakland County Prosecutor is going to file criminal charges against Artest, Jackson, and O'Neal, as well as a couple of the fans, but it's still premature.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Ben Wallace is a big Wuss- hard fouls happen all the time- sure this one happened while down 15 with :45 left- but it didnt warrant a two handed shove to the face- that was a classless move... suck it up- be a professional and make your gdamn free throws.

Artest- I've watched the footage about 50x- he played it cool from the time he committed the (uncalled for) foul- right up until he had a momentary lapse of reason and charged the crowd- (he knew where that cup came from- b/c he instantly made a bee line to the fan- he was laying down looking in that direction)- suspended for 30 games- thats steep- and those are games he doesnt get paid for- at about 43% of his season contract- Millions of dollars essentially. under NO circumstances can you charge the crowd! this is a huge monetary lesson- and a huge blow to the Pacers franchise and their playoff hopes.

and i'm in the opinion that charges better be brought up against all the fans involved- this sets a horrible precedent for fans who attend and sit close to the court- be as obnoxious and unruly as they want with no consequencese for their own actions. If not- i know where i can get visiting bench tix for the Orlando Magic- I'm not against a quick buck- and i can be as unruly and obnoxious as anybody (hey i AM originally from Philly)- please someone punch me- it's the American way right?

who wins in this situation? at this time it looks like the Detroit Pistons and their fans win- b/c they've essentially eliminated their closest competetor for the season.

Suspensions are out!!!!

Ron Artest suspended for the remainder of the season
    Stephen Jackson - 30 games
    Jermaine O'Neal - 25 games
    Ben Wallace - 6 games
    Anthony Johnson - 5 games
    Reggie Miller, Chauncey Billups, Derrick Coleman, & Elden Campbell all get 1 game suspension.

All without pay.

A major :rolleyes to David Stern.

wow... that's amazing. Definitely worse than the early reports on my news station.

I'm satisfied with those... but wow.

Ben Wallace is a big Wuss- hard fouls happen all the time- sure this one happened while down 15 with :45 left- but it didnt warrant a two handed shove to the face- that was a classless move... suck it up- be a professional and make your gdamn free throws.
    Well... the only thing I'll say is that unless you saw the entire game... you saw NOTHING of what led up to it. As someone above mentioned, the hard, uncalled for foul was the last straw.

Artest- I've watched the footage about 50x- he played it cool from the time he committed the (uncalled for) foul- right up until he had a momentary lapse of reason and charged the crowd- (he knew where that cup came from- b/c he instantly made a bee line to the fan- he was laying down looking in that direction)- suspended for 30 games- thats steep- and those are games he doesnt get paid for- at about 43% of his season contract- Millions of dollars essentially. under NO circumstances can you charge the crowd! this is a huge monetary lesson- and a huge blow to the Pacers franchise and their playoff hopes.
    The comments that Artest played it cool is just the funniest thing that I've heard from several different sources, not just you, Quinn. Artest was sitting there mocking the situation, and was still making several comments to Wallace to try to keep him riled up. Artest was in NO way out of the situation just because he was laying on the scorekeeper's table (the simple fact that he laid on the table was a mockery.)

And he got the fan completely wrong. The fan he punched had his cup of beer still in his hand, and the police have already acknowledged that he got the wrong guy. Apparently Artest was asking the kid (as he was punching him) "Was it you, man? Was it you?" which is clear indication that Artest had NO clue who threw the cup.
    Last edited by Broadway; 11-21-2004 at 06:30 PM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I read those early reports and was hoping it was that, but I knew big suspensions like these won't be leaked out that early and that easily.

Great, my fantasy team is screwed and I've been leading too! :phhht

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    i hope the official charges brought up against the fans get some kind of air time...

and the suspensions are way over the top- the only people satisfied with that are obviously Detroit fans??

look for a man in a brown parka sitting behind the Detroit bench next time Detroit comes to Orlando... i know i can break him

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by eny
    Me too Amanda. I always though it was kind of a wuss sport with guys that freak if they get a hangnail or if their water isn't the proper temperature..
    I always thought this sport was for wusses too. "please don't touch me!!!!. Ref!! he touched me" and then they dunk the ball and do that big screaming stomp celebration. for what? a free shot? get screwed you jerk......want to impress me, make it full contact Karate and lay your butt up there for that dunk shot. then I'll be impressed. Aside from that.... no blip on my radar of entertainment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast