+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: NBA Friday Night Fights

Apparently Artest, Jackson, O'Neal, and Ben Wallace are suspended indefinitely. Can't post the link as I'm at work, but I got it from Yahoo Sports - NBA.

I haven't seen the video yet so I'll reserve any comment, except that what can you expect from Ron Artest? *ducks from slings and arrows*
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Here is the AP report which is probably the main one

NBA suspends players involved in brawl

Associated Press

11/20/2004

NEW YORK (AP) - The NBA suspended Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson of Indiana and Ben Wallace of Detroit on Saturday for taking part in an ugly brawl.

The suspensions were indefinite, and the league was still investigating Friday night's melee involving fans, which commissioner David Stern called ``shocking, repulsive and inexcusable - a humiliation for everyone associated with the NBA.''

The league issued a statement saying it was reviewing rules and security procedures ``so that fans can continue to attend our games unthreatened by events such as the ones that occurred last night.''

Artest, O'Neal and Jackson - all of whom threw punches at fans during the fight at the end of Friday night's nationally televised Pacers-Pistons game - were to begin serving their suspensions Saturday night, when the Pacers played a home game against Orlando.

Wallace's suspension will begin with the Pistons' next home game, Sunday night against the Charlotte Bobcats. Pistons spokesman Tom Wilson said Saturday the team plans to use ``playoff-level security'' starting with that game, doubling the number of armed police and increasing arena security by about 25 per cent, though he couldn't say how many police and security that would be.

``Our investigation is ongoing, and I expect it to be completed by tomorrow evening,'' Stern said in his statement.

The brawl was shocking, with Artest and Jackson bolting into the stands near centre court and throwing punches at fans after debris was thrown at the players. Later, fans who came onto the court were punched in the face by Artest and O'Neal.

Wallace began the fracas by delivering a hard two-handed shove to Artest after Wallace was fouled on a drive to the basket with 45.9 seconds remaining. After the melee broke out, the referees called off the remainder of the game.

``This demonstrates why our players must not enter the stands, whatever the provocation or poisonous behaviour of people attending the games,'' Stern said

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/news_story.asp?id=105300

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    I haven't seen the video yet so I'll reserve any comment, except that what can you expect from Ron Artest? *ducks from slings and arrows*
    AJ.... As someone who was watching the game last night as it happened, and then has seen the video on the news all morning... I can guarantee you the video does not show everything as it went down so you'll get the nastiest of the nasty only.

The Pacers reaction was understandable, not justifiable. Ron Artest's foul was a hard foul at most, it did not warrant the overreaction by Big Ben. However, I can also understand where Big Ben's perspective as this has been a heated game, a huge rivalry, and you're down 15 with 45 seconds left, you lost. But, Shaq gets these treatments day in and day out and I've only seen him flinched once (to my boy Brad Miller).
    The guy that was guarding Ben Wallace had even backed off on guarding him because the basket meant absolutely nothing. Artest comes from behind and blocks Wallace HARD in the back, and you think Wallace overreacted???? Artest had absolutely no reason to bother fouling Wallace nor did he have any reason to foul him as hard as he did. Wallace was certainly justified in shoving the guy... especially since it looked like there was quite a bit of taunting by Artest as it happened, as well as the entire game prior to that point. Wallace's reaction was nothing less than I've seen from many a player, your precious Shaq included, and no suspension has come of it. Throwing the towel at Artest while he lays on a table mocking him??? Bah... how rough was that?

In regards to the fans... they absolutely got nasty, but... I would safely say that most of the fans that were involved never saw that the one fan had thrown the cup of beer/soda/whatever liquid it was at Artest. All they saw was that Artest and Jackson were charging the stands and what do you expect them to do.... sit back and welcome the players up in the stands and ask them for autographs while they're beating up a fan in the stands????

Jackson's going to get the worst suspension out of this, as he should. To suggest that Artest had removed himself from the situation is absolutely laughable. He's the next biggest offender... and then O'Neal. The guy that threw the cup is going to be in trouble, I guarantee. Ben Wallace deserves, at most, a fine. He did absolutely NOTHING worse than you see in most NBA games where suspensions are not the penalty inflicted. But unfortunately he's going to suffer because heaven forbid they show any sign of impropriety.

There are taunting comments made by fans all of the time.. and none of them justify a player charging the stands. To say that even players have their limits is a crock... as these guys are paid millions of dollars to play a professional ballgame without resorting to violence. There is NEVER a good excuse to charge the stands.

And how exactly should the police have prevented a cup of beer being thrown at someone... anyone? Short of putting up a fiberglass barrier, a la hockey arenas, how were they supposed to prevent that unknown?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I saw this a bunch of times last night and this morning. What's really going to get Artest in trouble is that the fan in the stands that he attacked after he was hit by the cup was holding a green cup and told Artest he didn't throw the cup that hit him. That didn't stop Mr. Reasonable from going after him. Unless the fan was double fisting it before throwing the cup, Artest just took his anger out on a random fan.

I will respectfully disagree with you Broadway. Big Ben's action was no more justifiable than Artest's reaction to the fans. People say Artest should expect fans taunting him, likewise Big Ben should expect fouls and hard ones as well. Playing center, the amount of hard fouls you get are daily. Most notable PF's and C's receive these punishments regularly, Duncan, Shaq, KG, Dirk, etc.

I don't care how late in the game it was, Big Ben's actions were no more justifiable than Artest's. He is guilty of his own actions. Likewise there is NEVER any good excuse to charge the stands, there is NEVER any excuse to resort to violence.

Throwing a towel at anyone is a huge disrespect. Just because it may not inflict wounds does not mean its not disrespectul.

Whether or not Big Ben's current suspension is reasonable will depend on the league rules, whether the league feels there's a difference between a shove in the chest and a shove in the face. It also does not help Big Ben's case that he refused to back off after Artest stepped away coaches, players, & refs intervened.

Likewise you say players are paid millions to be professionals and cannot resort to violence, these rules should apply to Big Ben. Just because other players have gotten away with it in the past, doesn't mean he can do it himself.

P.S. "Precious Shaq" I hope that's not directed towards me. Just because I'm supporting the players in this scenario doesn't mean I'm a Shaq Lover. I haven't been referring it as "your precious Ben." And if it was a misunderstanding sorry bout it! I haven't discussed sports here long enough to know who's a fan of who.
    Last edited by Mrs Cwebb; 11-20-2004 at 07:11 PM. Reason: added comment

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Cwebb
    I will respectfully disagree with you Broadway. Big Ben's action was no more justifiable than Artest's reaction to the fans. People say Artest should expect fans taunting him, likewise Big Ben should expect fouls and hard ones as well. Playing center, the amount of hard fouls you get are daily. Most notable PF's and C's receive these punishments regularly, Duncan, Shaq, KG, Dirk, etc.

I don't care how late in the game it was, Big Ben's actions were no more justifiable than Artest's. He is guilty of his own actions. Likewise there is NEVER any good excuse to charge the stands, there is NEVER any excuse to resort to violence.

Throwing a towel at anyone is a huge disrespect. Just because it may not inflict wounds does not mean its not disrespectul.
    I never said that Ben's throwing of the towel wasn't disrespectful, but there is a HUGE difference between shoving a fellow player and charging the stands and assaulting a fan in the stands. HUGE.

Whether or not Big Ben's current suspension is reasonable will depend on the league rules, whether the league feels there's a difference between a shove in the chest and a shove in the face. It also does not help Big Ben's case that he refused to back off after Artest stepped away coaches, players, & refs intervened.
    And like I mentioned, the worst Ben should get out of what happened is a fine, and well-deservedly so. That's based upon similar actions that take place in a large majority of basketball games. What he did was no different than what happens in many, many games every season. I'm not saying that he's not wrong, but I am saying that he should incur the same punishment that any other player has received. Shoving a player and throwing a towel in his general direction has not gotten someone an indefinite suspension before.

Likewise you say players are paid millions to be professionals and cannot resort to violence, these rules should apply to Big Ben. Just because other players have gotten away with it in the past, doesn't mean he can do it himself.
    Same answer as above. And we cannot equate shoving a player to punching an innocent fan in the stands. We simply can't.

P.S. "Precious Shaq" I hope that's not directed towards me. Just because I'm supporting the players in this scenario doesn't mean I'm a Shaq Lover. I haven't been referring it as "your precious Ben." And if it was a misunderstanding sorry bout it! I haven't discussed sports here long enough to know who's a fan of who.
    No, that wasn't a comment directed at you, it was a comment directed at Shaq. Shaq's been held to a different set of standards for years. Shaq is not the meek, tolerant player that you made him out to be in your post and has certainly gotten in his share of melees.

And..... Chris Webber is from Detroit, Mrs..... show us some love.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    And..... Chris Webber is from Detroit, Mrs..... show us some love.
    Hey believe it or not, I was MADLY rooting for Detroit last year! I LOVE Tayshaun & Big Ben, which from this thread may seem to hard to believe, but I do like them.

Talk about being the annoying Pistons supporter during the finals. During Game 1 I had to have dinner with my sister's future in laws who were all Lakers fan. Towards the end of dinner I got the score and couldn't resist and celebrate in front of them screaming, "Go pistons! Go Big Ben! Go Tayshaun! I love ya! Take that loser Lamers!" Yeah, my parents kicked me underneath the table and said I was embarassing.

too funny, Mrs! Tayshaun was awesome... and Chauncey... and Rip... and... we're going to get BEAT up this year. Heh.

Its a pity stuff like these are overshadowing such a great and exciting NBA year.

All the predictions have been useless. Denver & Houston are horrendous, Phoenix and Seattle are dominating (although I predict Seattle will decline gradually), Dallas are defying expectations, Grant Hill and Zo are both recovering well, Jason Kidd isn't playing right now (always a plus for me because that means no Joumanna or TJ Kidd), Phil Jackson is no longer around, Sprewell is trying to earn enough money to feed his family, Zach Randolph forgot to turn on his alarm clock, and The Artest formerly known as Ron has a rap album out on November 23rd.

Gosh I LOVE the NBA!!!

Leo
    Premium Member
    There's more than enough blame to go around, really. The players, the fans, even the officials. Would I throw anyone out of the NBA? Not quite. But I'd suspend Artest for a long time... maybe even a whole year. And I'd fine the players involved serious money - at least a million dollars. Each.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast