Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plane Crash/Nascar/Hendrick Motorsports

Plane Crash/Nascar/Hendrick Motorsports

This is KILLING me!!! I'm in shock!

http://www.wxii12.com/news/3845610/detail.html

Plane Crash Kills 10, Including Son Of NASCAR Owner

POSTED: 4:46 pm EDT October 24, 2004
    UPDATED: 5:56 pm EDT October 24, 2004

The son of NASCAR owner Rick Hendrick was among 10 people killed Sunday when a small plane headed from Concord to Martinsville crashed in Patrick County in Virginia.

Ricky Hendrick, a former NASCAR driver, died in the incident. John Hendrick, Rick's brother, and Kimberly and Jennifer Hendrick, John's twin daughters, also died in the crash.

The plane, which belonged to Hendrick Motorsports, was en route to Martinsville Speedway for Sunday's Subway 500. Jimmie Johnson was driving the Hendrick car in the race and was the winner.

The plane reportedly lost contact with the Federal Aviation Administration at about 12:30. It crashed in the Blue Ridge Mountains about seven miles from Martinsville, Va., according to the N.C. Highway Patrol.

The names of the other people who died in the crash are: Dick Tracey, pilot, Liz Morrison, pilot, Joe Jackson, Jeff Turner, the VP and General Manager of Hendrick Motorsports, Randy Dorton and Scott Latham.

Rick Hendrick owns the teams of Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Terry Labonte and Brian Vickers in the Nextel Cup Series. NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said NASCAR learned of the plane's disappearance during the race but waited to tell the drivers until afterward.

We will have more on this story at 6 p.m. and 11 p.m.
    Last edited by BoBoFan; 10-24-2004 at 06:09 PM.

wow Rick Hendrick's son WOW. Randy Dorton was a crew member of Jeff Gordon's.

How awful.

I can't believe it! This is a major shock to Hendrick Motorsports. John took over Rick's duties in Nascar when Rick was going through all that legal mess as well as when Rick was undergoing all those cancer treatments! And to lose Ricky- that is killing me- not to mention the pain I'm going through with losing John, John's twin daughters, other members of Hendrick Motorsports and also someone from Tony Stewart's team (who was that?- Heard he was on the plane as well, but not aware of who he is.) This hurts terribly!!! I'm not doing very well right now!!!

BoBo Fan---SCott Latham was Tony Stewart's chopper pilot. Apparently he was home from Iraq and getting ready to go back to Iraq soon. He was on the plane because he was comming to the track to see Tony.

Randy Dorton was an engine builder for HMS, possibly one of the best engine biulders EVER.

Very tragic for the Hendrick family.

Anyone know how old the twins were? and how old was Ricky? I know he was in his 20's.

Ricky was 24. Hendrick's website is down right now. My condolences to the family and friends of everyone involved.

This is such a tradegy My heart goes out to the entire Hendrick organization and the families of the others killed in the crash.

I'm still totally in shock & will be for quite a while...
    Thanks for the info everyone & thanks firestorm for the info I was not aware of!
    I will post an article from my local newspaper as soon as it hits the web. I'm rather local to this story, so I will keep you totally up-to-date!! I don't understand this tragedy- Can't make sense of it whatsoever! *sigh*
    Stay tuned!!

That's horrible...my heart goes out to the Hendrick family.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Angel boy
    I'm in shock also, BoBo Fan. I am in Charlotte and this has been all over the news. I am a huge NASCAR fan (#24 is my fav) and this is a huge blow not only to the NASCAR family, but to our local community as well. Ricky Hendrick has a bike shop right up the road from where I work and from what I understand, he was there quite often and really hands on. My prayers go out to all affected by this tragedy. I guess the Hendrick drivers, as well as Tony Stewart had 10 angels on their shoulders today.
    America- love it or leave it!

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Very sad news.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast