+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ken Caminiti Dies At Age 41

Ken Caminiti Dies At Age 41

NEW YORK -- Ken Caminiti, the 1996 National League MVP who later admitted using steroids during his major league career, died Sunday. He was 41.

Caminiti died of a heart attack in the Bronx, said his agent-lawyer Rick Licht. The city medical examiner's office said an autopsy would be performed Monday, spokeswoman Ellen Borakove said.

Ken Caminiti spent 10 of his 15 seasons in a Houston Astros uniform, but he wont the 1996 NL MVP Award while with the San Diego Padres.

"I'm still in shock," San Diego Padres general manager Kevin Towers said. "He was one of my favorite all-time players."

The three-time All-Star third baseman often was in trouble the last few years. His 15-year big league career ended in 2001, five seasons after he led the Padres to a division title and was a unanimous pick for MVP.

Just last Tuesday, he admitted in a Houston court that he violated his probation by testing positive for cocaine last month, and was sentenced to 180 days in jail.

But state District Judge William Harmon gave Caminiti credit for the 189 days he already served in jail and a treatment facility since he was sentenced to three years probation for a cocaine arrest in March 2001.

In May 2002, Caminiti told Sports Illustrated that he used steroids during his MVP season, when he hit a career-high .326 with 40 home runs and 130 RBI. He estimated half the players in the big leagues were also using them.

Caminiti returned to baseball this year as a spring training instructor with San Diego.

"When I saw him in spring training, he didn't look good," Towers said. "I'm not surprised."

"The best way to describe him is that he was a warrior in every sense of the word. I can't tell you how many times I remember him hobbling into the manager's office, barely able to walk, and saying, 'Put me in the lineup.'"

Licht said Caminiti was in New York this past weekend to help a friend, but did not go into detail.

"Man, that's just a tough one. I played with him for eight years," Dodgers outfielder Steve Finley said Sunday night, learning of Caminiti's death after St. Louis eliminated Los Angeles from the playoffs.

"He was a great player, but he got mixed up in the wrong things -- taking drugs. It's a sad reminder of how bad drugs are and what they can do to your body. It's a loss all of us will feel."

Caminiti batted .272 with 239 homers and 983 RBI with Houston, San Diego, Texas and Atlanta.

http://espn.go.com/classic/obit/s/20...0/1899091.html

How sad.

Yeah, it's very sad. He was a warrior. He just made some bad decisions.

I really hope this might force MLB to recognize a problem.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

I was reading an article, I think in Sports Illustrated, that he was trying to hook up with one of the teams as a coach for next year. Drugs are no good. I've personally seen what they do to good people. Breaks my heart when it happens.

That's really too bad. Hopefully this will teach people that drugs can kill.

Ken was just one of many high profile baseball players that took steroids. Hopefully, this isn't an indication of a new trend.

It must be awful for his family. For some people, life just begins at 41. His has ended.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    As a Houstonian, I have seen the rise and fall of this great baseball star. I have seen his pictures go from a hometown hero and an idol of young boys everywhere, to his mug shot and sordid details of his cocaine addicted behavior and now, to his death. It is the ugly reality of what drugs can do to you....I was truly hopeful he would be able to gather the help he needed and defeat his addiction.

How sad for his family. RIP
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Wow, he was so young. I always liked Caminiti as a player. I drafted him over and over for my fantasy teams. When all the other stuff about him came out afterwards, I was very sad, but I wouldn't have expected this. I'm not sure why.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

This is a sad story. He was only 41. At least he admitted to his steroid use during his '96 MVP season and to his cocaine addiction.

I was really surprised when I heard about this today. It's really a shame when professional athletes throw their life away by getting caught up in drugs and all of that. At least Caminiti was honest about it.

I just heard that the autopsy came back showing that he actually died of a drug overdose.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast