+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On-air curse could cost Earnhardt Jr. points

On-air curse could cost Earnhardt Jr. points

TALLADEGA, Ala. -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. took over the NASCAR Nextel Cup points lead with a popular victory in Sunday's EA Sports 500 at Talladega Superspeedway, but he faces a possible penalty for cursing during the post-race television interview.

During the interview in Victory Lane with NBC's Matt Yocum, Earnhardt Jr. was asked what it meant to win for the fifth time at Talladega. Earnhardt Jr. replied, "It don't mean s--- right now. Daddy's won here 10 times."

NBC later issued an apology for the inappropriate language. After several media requests, NASCAR is reviewing the post-race videotape, according to spokesman Mike Zizzo. Any penalty would be handed down Tuesday at the earliest, Zizzo said.

There is precedence for Earnhardt Jr. being fined and/or docked points. Two Busch Series drivers were penalized for inappropriate language earlier this season.

Ron Hornaday was fined $10,000 and docked 25 points for "use of inappropriate language" during a live radio interview during a Busch race at Dover in June. Also, Johnny Sauter was penalized the same amount of money and points for the same infraction after a Busch race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in March.

Earnhardt Jr. pleaded his case in the Talladega press box later Sunday.

"I hope they understand it was in jubilation," Earnhardt Jr. "I know that me and those other guys that got fined let it slip, but it's two different circumstances.

"When you're happy and joyous about something and it happens, it's different than being angry and cursing in anger. Of course, we don't want to promote that.

"But if a guy's in Victory Lane, jumping up and down and lets a 's---' slip out, I don't think that's something we need to go hammering down on."

Earnhardt Jr. leads Kurt Busch by 13 points after Sunday's race, with Jeff Gordon third, 61 points behind.

NASCAR president Mike Helton warned drivers at Daytona in February to watch their manners after the Federal Communications Commission began a crackdown of profane behavior resulting from the Super Bowl halftime show, where singer Janet Jackson had her breast exposed on live television.

The FCC hit CBS with more than $500,000 in fines for the incident
    http://aolsvc.sports.aol.nascar.com/...rse/index.html
    ______________________________ ______________________________ _____
    If Jr. doesn't get fined the s--- will hit the fan. I don't think he should. I didn't hear the Hornaday or Sauter incidents so I can't comment. If theirs wasn't a whole string of expletives or a ranting outburst but just a slip in the heat of the moment, then they shouldn't have been hit hard either.

everyone is running scared since the FCC under the thumb of Powell Jr is overeacting to the Jackson incident. I always wonder why they didnt fine Jackson and whatshisname instead of going for CBS. I don't think they should fine Jr for it, thats what you get for getting an interview in the middle of a emotional celebration.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    ok, then start to use the 5 second delay when the do the winners circle and other interviews, the the a**h**e networks can't and won't have to say they are sorry.

I don't think he should be fined either...they're getting a little carried away with this stuff. Actually, it made me laugh...he was just celebrating and let it slip. Big deal. I've heard worse during football games (players on the field, not interviews).
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Jeff Hammond's take on the whole thing:

Points precedent paints NASCAR in a corner with Dale Jr. decision

Taking away points from a team after a race for a non-racing situation is crazy, but if NASCAR wants to be a considered a credible organization, it has to do something to Dale Earnhardt Jr.

As wrong as I think it is, NASCAR set the precedent by deducting points from Busch drivers Ron Hornaday and Johnny Sauter earlier this year for using inappropriate language on race broadcasts. Now, the sanctioning body must take points from Earnhardt Jr. If they don't, I want to hear the explanation.
    NASCAR established the parameters. If it wants to change them next year, that's fine. But you can't change the rules in the middle of the Chase for the Championship without someone raising Cain about it.

I can't see how one person can bring down 200 people, but that's what will happen if Earnhardt Jr. winds up losing the championship. One word could rip apart Dale Earnhardt Inc. While I disagree with what NASCAR started, I will disagree more if they don't take away points from DEI. I don't care if the man's name is Earnhardt, and he's running for the championship. If you get caught speeding, you pay the price. And he got caught speeding.

I hate that our sport has come to a point that a penalty like this one could affect the outcome of the championship. Right now, I'm sure the people in Daytona are cringing because this moment could be pivotal in determining the first winner of the Chase for the Nextel Cup.

Emotional outburst
    Everybody knows the words that you can and can't say on television. All of us in the sport have asked what is acceptable and what's not acceptable. If Earnhardt Jr. was given a list, and he forgot about it. I'm sorry for him. If he wasn't sure, he never should have said it until he got it cleared.
    On the other hand, when you grab somebody who just jumped out of the winning race car and regained the point lead after 500 miles at 200 mph, you've got to be ready and willing to accept what you get. Television has a little bit of responsibility here. If it's at all possible to have a delay with enough time to react to the word, that would have helped.

Before precedent, fine not points appropriate
    There are times when taking points away is a good thing. When something happens to your car after it has been inspected, and they take points away, I understand that penalty.
    I disagree with NASCAR when it takes away points before a car goes on the race track or after a race for a non-racing incident.

I'm not saying NASCAR wouldn't be right to fine Earnhardt Jr. for what he said. I just think it's wrong to take points from him.

For now, however, Earnhardt Jr. and NASCAR must suck it up and say, "The precedent has been set. Here's the penalty." Between now and next February's Daytona 500 on FOX, I hope the teams and NASCAR can get out of the corner from which these penalties have painted them.
    Link to article: http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3059392

I think it would definately be going to far to fine him for something that happens on nearly every televised sporting event.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Which proves to me that jeff hammond is an idiot and has fallen off of one too many horses. Why penalize a driver after a race has finished? when did the other two do theirs during the race? this is where I beleive they need to have the delay cause when i am pissed off at someone or excited its hard for me not to blurt out something in public. ( just did it the other day at work dealing with an idiot co-worker)
    Last edited by joeguy; 10-04-2004 at 07:48 PM.

I have to agree with Hammond. If it was done for one driver, it must be done for all. The fines to Sauter and Hornaday set the precedent. I agree that it is B.S. in the first place, but NASCAR has painted themselves into a corner on this one. What little credibility they have will be totally lost if they don't.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    Personally, I don't think they should be allowed to interview the drivers at the particualr moment if they can't live with what is said. Emotions are high and it's hard to stop and think about what you're going to say in the excitement. If they do take points away and he loses the championship by that amount of points it will tarnish the cup for whomever does win.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

I noticed what he said but since I use the same words many times a day, I wasn't bothered by it. I personally don't like the guy but would hate to see him lose points He worked hard for them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast