Thread: Childress places Gordon on probation for rest of season

just above the horizon, but below the ozone

Childress places Gordon on probation for rest of season

from nascar .com

Childress places Gordon on probation for rest of season
    By Dave Rodman, NASCAR.COM
    September 23, 2004
    11:13 AM EDT (15:13 GMT)

WELCOME, N.C. -- Richard Childress Racing has put Robby Gordon on probation for the remainder of the 2004 NASCAR Nextel Cup Series season.

Childress took the action after Gordon was involved in an accident in last Sunday's Sylvania 300 at New Hampshire International Speedway that swept up two of the contenders in the Chase for the Nextel Cup, Tony Stewart and Jeremy Mayfield.

Earlier in the race, Gordon was involved in an accident with Greg Biffle, after which Gordon reportedly said on his in-car radio that he would "get" Biffle. The later accident began when Gordon's car made contact with Biffle's in Turns 1 and 2 at NHIS.

"Many athletes have made mistakes in their careers and would take back the negative things they've said or done if they could," Childress said. "As a result of his actions last weekend in New Hampshire, I have placed Robby on probation for the rest of the season."

Following the race, Gordon was involved in a misunderstanding with a group of media when he declined to make any comment about the race, was allegedly cursed at by a reporter in the group and then made an obscene gesture at the individual that was interpreted by the media as being intended for all of them.

Gordon, who left the country on personal business immediately after the race, Monday, issued an apology for both events. Wednesday, Childress followed suit.

"I would like to apologize to all of the fans, the media and the teams (involved)," Childress said. "I also would like to publicly apologize to Cingular Wireless for being placed in this situation."

Beginning Sunday night, members of the media began circulating rumors that Gordon's position as driver of RCR's No. 31 Cingular Chevrolet was in jeopardy. The probation ends that speculation.

"If there is one positive, I think this can make Robby understand that there is more to racing than just being aggressive," Childress said. "In this sport today, one action can affect many people's lives on the track and beyond it, as well."

Gordon plans to address the media at a news conference Friday morning at Dover International Speedway, the site of Sunday's MBNA America 400.

I don't think being on probation with Childress is enough. Nascar needs to park him!
    kitty-cats rule!

I say ban him from racing for life. These aren't isolated incidents, but a continual pattern for him.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

+ Reply to Thread