+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: College Football 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    Ummm, Melitta, first congratulations on Texas's victory. It was an entertaining game. I seem to remember a not very dignified Mack Brown begging for BCS votes before though. The problem with the BCS is that someone is always disappointed. This year it's the long suffering Cal fans. The Rose Bowl means a lot to Pac 10 fans. My real problem is with a ridiculous system that lets Pitt into a BCS game.

That being said, USC which barely beat Cal is pummeling Oklahoma at half time. Oklahoma may come back in the second half but right now they are being thoroughly outplayed. As an aside I hate, hate, hate the Orange Bowl halftime. Could it be any frigging longer?
    I know Mac Brown begged, but my problem with Cal was all the trashing they did TOWARD Texas. Mac Brown begged and it worked for the teams advantage. He never said anything bad toward Cal. Cal should have never blamed Texas for getting the bid. Not like Texas said we are going and not Cal. Texas still had to wait and see if they got the bid to go. You can not blame a coach for trying to help out his team.

Just finished watching the USC and Oklahoma game. YECK! Can't say that I like Oklahoma since they spank the Longhorns every year , but ya gotta try and root for the teams in your conference. Aside from that did you notice the booing for Ashley Simpson?? That girl is never going to live down her disaster on Saturday Night Live.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

I don't recall Cal saying anything bad about Texas.

I do know about 3/4 of the college football world want the coached to have to release publically their votes in the poll, as the BS that happened around Texas is an absolute joke.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Too cold to run away! Burntcrow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    Ummm, Melitta, first congratulations on Texas's victory. It was an entertaining game. I seem to remember a not very dignified Mack Brown begging for BCS votes before though. The problem with the BCS is that someone is always disappointed. This year it's the long suffering Cal fans. The Rose Bowl means a lot to Pac 10 fans. My real problem is with a ridiculous system that lets Pitt into a BCS game.

That being said, USC which barely beat Cal is pummeling Oklahoma at half time. Oklahoma may come back in the second half but right now they are being thoroughly outplayed. As an aside I hate, hate, hate the Orange Bowl halftime. Could it be any frigging longer?
    That is the BCS...Cal should have beat USC, if they had, they would be in the BCS. Both Cal and Texas were one loss teams, who is to say which one was better?

Cal clearly showed that they didn't belong with their performance against Texas Tech. Injuries are part of the game and should not be used as an excuse.

As for the USC-Oklahoma game, you can't base another teams talent on a game in which they didn't play. Just because OU was killed by USC, doesn't mean that California is better than OU. That would have to be settled on the field. I could say the same for Texas. Texas killed texas Tech, and then Texas Tech killed California. So by that logic, Cal is better than texas?...no. Every game is different and the possibilities are endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I don't recall Cal saying anything bad about Texas.

I do know about 3/4 of the college football world want the coached to have to release publically their votes in the poll, as the BS that happened around Texas is an absolute joke.
    You should read up a bit more on the subject before calling it a joke. Cal would have been ousted regardless.

Norm Chow is the man and Carroll's defensive is a monster.

Yes, the half time was too long, Jessica Simpson can't sing to save her life. How she got invited to the party is beyond me.

USC looked scary last night and it will be interesting to see how they perform next year.

I think Cal had a definite let down factor going on in the Holiday Bowl. I don't think you can use their performance there to judge them any more than than you can use any other game that isn't head to head to prove a point. Texas Tech was stoked to be in the Holiday Bowl. Cal felt disappointed to be there. I wasn't trying to imply that USC thumping Oklahoma meant Cal was better than Texas. I can see how what I said could be interpreted that way though.

As for Mac Brown/Texas not dissing Cal, that's true to an extent. But, why would they need to? Texas got in. Begging to get in implies that you think someone else should be left out. Not saying it directly doesn't make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Burntcrow
    You should read up a bit more on the subject before calling it a joke. Cal would have been ousted regardless.
    I read up quite a bit on it thank you. SEC fan much?

Cal was only bumped down because not only was Mack Brown campaigning for his team, but also his crony coaches dumped Cal far down in the rankings not just behind Texas but very far down in order to ensure their buddy got his BCS bid, and coincidently, their conference got the cash.

It is a joke. Sorry.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.

Oh and just to make it clear. I am not trying to claim that Cal is better than Texas. I am merely pointing out the reality that given the information at the time, Cal had won by 20 over a conference opponent, went on the road and beat a bowl team easily across the country, late in the season, and still dropped in the rankings compared to an idle team. It is a joke, pure and simple.

I was happy to see Texas finally not choke in a bowl game.

We could always talk about Wyoming's unexpected and thrilling (for me anyway) win over UCLA...but I'm guessing I'm the only one who cares!

Well, me, my dad and the Fox Sports Chicken who picked Wyo as well...heh.

I'm sure the arguments for a playoff system will continue, as well as the assertion that a playoff system won't be as profitable as the Bowl games. My suggestion is this - have the Bowl games just like always. Then have four team (or 8 team) playoff. I would pay good money to see USC play Auburn or Utah, who seems to be forgotten in the news as also being undefeated. While Utah may not have played as tough a schedule, they beat every opponent soundly - closest margin of victory was 14 points. I'd love to see if Utah is as good as they seem, or just a victim of a weak schedule. Auburn and Utah will just never know how good (or over-rated) they may have been this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Oh and just to make it clear. I am not trying to claim that Cal is better than Texas. I am merely pointing out the reality that given the information at the time, Cal had won by 20 over a conference opponent, went on the road and beat a bowl team easily across the country, late in the season, and still dropped in the rankings compared to an idle team. It is a joke, pure and simple.

I was happy to see Texas finally not choke in a bowl game.
    I for one, think that California is over-rated and a bunch of phonies. Their arrogant quarterback made some comments about Mack and the team which were uncalled for. Then they said that they were going to make a statement against them.....but they didn't. They counted their chickens before they hatched.

People only see the negatives of the texas side, but conveniently forget about Cal. Anyways, I will end this here since you will think what you think, and I will think what I think..........I just needed to butt in and defend my school.
    Last edited by Burntcrow; 01-05-2005 at 03:43 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast