+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NFL takes aim at missed calls

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar

NFL takes aim at missed calls

From USA Today:
    NFL takes aim at missed calls -- USA TODAY

In an effort to eliminate the type of error that marred Sunday's San Francisco 49ers-New York Giants playoff game, the NFL announced Wednesday that it has tweaked the way its officials will handle controversial calls at the end of games as well as field goal attempts.

League spokesman Greg Aiello said the changes go into effect as of this weekend's four games.

* On disputed calls at the end of a game, the referee will check with the other six officials -- as opposed to just those directly involved with the call -- to make sure they're on the same page.

* The side judge and the head linesman will alter duties on field goal tries.

Instead of immediately running toward the end zone on what appears to be a pass, the side judge will turn around and watch to be in better position to detect pass interference.

The head linesman, instead of staying at the line of scrimmage, will run downfield in an attempt to be near the conclusion of the pass.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Whoa, that's impressive. Now they're going to check in with people who didn't see the play, and the ones who ran will stand still, and the ones who stood still will run.

I love those refs!

Sounds like a Keystone Cops routine to me...
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Bill
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    The Bucs attempt a game winning fieldgoal against the Niners this weekend. The kick is clean through the uprights. This is what ensues:

Referee: Okay guys, what did you see?
    Head Linesman: Um, I wasn't paying attention.
    Back Judge: Number 87 knocked me down. At least I think it was him.
    Referee: 87 on which team?
    Back Judge: I dunno.
    Referee: What about you, Bob? See anything?
    Side Judge: Yeah, I did. That blonde just in front of the guy with the "John 3:16" sign is a major hottie!
    Referee: I mean did you see anything ON the field?
    Side Judge: Of course not. I mean, I'm not gay or anything.
    Referee: (sigh) signals that the FG is good.

Bucs win.

Hahahahaha!

Wayner, you're funny What would even be more classic is if they called the game a victory for the Steelers (who aren't even there)!!

Hey, as long as the Bucs win, I'll take that conversation

+ Reply to Thread