+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rusty Wallace to retire in 2005

Rusty Wallace to retire in 2005

Rusty Wallace to retire in 2005, citing concerns about getting hurt

August 30, 2004

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- NASCAR driver Rusty Wallace will retire at the end of the 2005 season, citing concerns about getting hurt and saying Monday he wanted to leave at the top of his game.

Wallace's decision was influenced by the death of his competitor, Dale Earnhardt, who was killed in a crash at the Daytona 500 in 2001.

``I think after Earnhardt lost his life three or four years ago, it kind of got to me,'' Wallace said at a news conference at the Daytona International Speedway. ``It made me feel nervous. It made me think hard about it ... I don't want to get hurt.''

Wallace, 48, has won 55 races. The St. Louis native made his NASCAR debut in 1980 and has won almost every major race except the Daytona 500, which Wallace said he is focused on winning before he retires.

``The Daytona 500 is still the granddaddy of them all. It's the race I haven't won and I'm going to try my darndest to win it,'' he said.

Updated on Monday, Aug 30, 2004 1:06 pm EDT

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?...v=ap&type=lgns
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty
    Wallace's decision was influenced by the death of his competitor, Dale Earnhardt, who was killed in a crash at the Daytona 500 in 2001.

``I think after Earnhardt lost his life three or four years ago, it kind of got to me,'' Wallace said at a news conference at the Daytona International Speedway. ``It made me feel nervous. It made me think hard about it ... I don't want to get hurt.''
    Although I've always been a Rusty fan and rooted against Dale. My love of Nascar hasn't been the same since his death.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty
    Although I've always been a Rusty fan and rooted against Dale. My love of Nascar hasn't been the same since his death.
    you'd be surprized how many people feel that way, Earnhardt was nascar, he is the one to get me interested again in it. he made a race interesting, look at the last Talladega race he ran, 13th place and in two laps he was in first, see anyone doing that today except his boy? hardly anyone that good.

I am a Rusty fan and am going to be sorry to see him leave, but since he went to ford he hasn't done as well.

Quote Originally Posted by joeguy
    ....but since he went to ford he hasn't done as well.
    Umm, he switched to Dodge when they came back to NASCAR, Joe.

I used to dislike Rusty way back when, but he seemed to mellow out a little, even before Dale's death. I'm going to miss one of the "old school" drivers. It seems like the guys that came up driving their own equipment have a greater appreciation for the sport and the traditions than these young guns. Or is it just because I'm turning into an old fart?

no, its cause they did, and Kulwicki was one of the best. I remember watching Earnhardt when ESPN started carrying the races and he and Rusty always gave a good show, along with some of the others. Rusty will be missed, but I also have to say that this year has been his best in about the last 10 I think.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

+ Reply to Thread