+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: US Open - Tennis

Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    I have NEVER been more pissed off as a result of ANY tennis match in my life.

If all the right calls would have been made, Serena would have won the match. I am not saying she would have won the game and that would give her power to win the match, but the points were there for her to win the match, point blank period.

There was the first point I talked about in the first game of the third set. Then there was another THREE bad calls just in the last game alone. One that would have gave Jennifer a double fault and two balls that were CLEARLY in and were called out.

I could honestly speculate that there was some intentional bad calls.

At the end of the match they interview Jennifer and she just said she went with the person in the chair and the whole crowed starting booing. Jennifer then makes a BS statement that Serena won the game that she was complaining about anyway, so "what's the big deal." When in reality, Jennifer actually won that game.

I am just beyond annoyed. ARG!

The second grand slam a Williams was screwed. Venus' match againest Sprem where the person in the chair just gave Sprem points.

Final score: 2-6, 6-4, 6-4. :phhht

I was very dissapointed when i heard of this. However Serena is the better player, her and her sister have been #1 and #2 in the past and i have no doubt that they'll be at the top again. Theyre the best of the best and have been for the past 4 yrs.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

All-Russian Women's Final Set for Saturday Night
    Elena Dementieva beat Jennifer Capriati in a third-set tiebreak, and Svetlana Kuznetsova defeated Lindsay Davenport, setting up an all-Russian women's final Saturday night at the US Open. Dementieva, who was 0-3 against Capriati prior to today's match, notched a hard-fought 6-0, 2-6, 7-6 (5) victory over the eighth-seeded American, while Kuznetsova came from behind to beat 1998 champion Lindsay Davenport, 1-6, 6-2, 6-4. It will be the second all-Russian Grand Slam final of the year, as Dementieva fell to Anastasia Myskina in the French Open championship. In other Day 12 action, third seeds Mark Knowles and Daniel Nestor captured the men's doubles title, defeating No. 13 seeds Leander Paes and David Rikl, 6-3, 6-3.

NYPOST:

September 10, 2004 -- Richard Williams, the outspoken father of Serena and Venus, delivered a stinging parting shot to the U.S. Open yesterday before flying back to Florida, accusing banished chair umpire Mariana Alves of being "prejudiced."
    Williams, on his cell phone from LaGuardia Airport, told The Post, "It's impossible for the umpire to miss that many calls. I wish I knew what was going on. Conspiracy, racism, it definitely has to be. I really think the umpire was prejudiced.

"It hurts other young black kids wanting to play [professional] tennis," he added. "They think, 'If we do this, then this is what they're going to do to us.'"

The embattled chair umpire, Mariana Alves, was bounced from the Open after Tuesday night's quarterfinal fiasco pitting Serena Williams against Jennifer Capriati. Alves made arguably the worst call in tennis history, overruling her lineswoman in the first game of the deciding third set on a Williams shot that replays showed was well inside the line.

Then, in the match's final game, three more line calls incorrectly went against Williams, according to replays, and Alves did not overrule.

"That's two matches they've cost us," said Papa Williams, referring to the Wimbledon scoring snafu that contributed to Venus Williams' second-round defeat to Karolina Sprem. "My feeling is we've been robbed and cheated. Serena should've walked off the court if they didn't change the umpire. There is something against this family."

He first began charging racism on the tour in 1997 in Venus' Open debut. After Romanian Irina Spirlea bumped into Venus on a changeover, Papa called her a "big, tall white turkey."

Papa Williams did not meet with WTA officials yesterday to discuss his feelings, saying he wants other African-Americans in tennis to help him fight the bias.

"We always sit back and do nothing," he said yesterday. "We talk about what takes place, but we're afraid to do anything, like the white man's going to take a stick to us. It can't just be me. We've got be unified. I've been talking about it for 10 years. I've seen what they've done to this family for 10 years. They're not going to listen to one voice."

Williams was quoted in yesterday's Post saying he'd like to see his daughters retire from tennis, feeling they'd make more money as entrepreneurs and "it's a shame for them to waste those great minds on hitting a tennis ball."

Yesterday, he added, "I want them to retire soon. That's going to happen anyway. But I don't want them to be chased out. Serena, she'll be ok, but things like this need to stop."

WTA executive director Larry Scott said yesterday, "I was very disturbed to see what happened on court and to see the instant replay and missed calls, bad calls at critical moments, especially since it overshadowed what was probably the best match of the U.S. Open so far in terms of drama and excitement. It's a shame for Serena. It's a shame for Jennifer that's been the focus."

Earlier this week, even before Tuesday's nightmare (which ironically occurred on Althea Gibson Night), Papa Williams told The Post, "I think it's a disgrace at how the system is against those two black girls."
    http://www.nypost.com/sports/19344.htm

It is a great read. I must say, it seems very strange that both Williams sisters lost due to bad calls. I really hope the sisters don't retire, and have won more shot at the gold.

What angers me is, they banish the umpire to saibiria, but serena is still screwed. They could've very well let them go at it again with an ump who probably wont make the incorrect call.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    An All Russian final? I would have bet all my money on a Davenport-Capriati final.

At least, the men's matches are still worth watching still.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Where did he popped out from? Apparently, Lleyton's kid sister's boyfriend.

Semi final clash: Lleyton vs Johansson Lleyton

Federer vs Tim Henman interesting!
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Interesting read, thanks for posting it AI.

I've heard about the sisters retiring too, their dad's been wanting them to retire since last year as he thinks they've achieved everything in tennis. Venus and Serena have various degrees and business's between them so I wouldn't be too surprised, though I really like watching them play so I hope they stay around for a while.

Regarding the semi's, I felt really bad for Lindsay, she worked really hard to get there winning so many tournaments in a row and she should've won. It's a shame she got injured at the last minute, the win could've made her the new number one and I wonder if she'll still retire. As for Elena, I'll never know how she gets by with her serve, some of her serves were 58mph! I guess she must be doing something right as she's in the finals.

I also love the Williams sisters and would be dissapointed to see them retire. It is pathetic that they did not have a re-play on that match, there is no way it should have ended like that.

Serena was robbed!!!!

Kuznetsova Wins 2004 US Open Women's Singles Championship
    In the all-Russian final, No. 9 Svetlana Kuznetsova defeated No. 6 Elena Dementieva to win the 2004 US Open Women's Singles Championship in Arthur Ashe Stadium in straight sets, 6-3, 7-5. Earlier, Roger Federer cruised to his third Grand Slam final of the year, knocking off Tim Henman, 6-3, 6-4, 6-4. The men's top seed, will meet 2001 champion Lleyton Hewitt in Sunday's final. Hewitt eliminated Joachim Johansson, 6-4, 7-5, 6-3, for his sixth straight-sets victory of the tournament. Fourth seed Hewitt has been on a roll of late and goes into tomorrow's final with a 16-match winning streak.

I got this off a friend.
    Dementieava is cool. She speaks French to make the French to love her at RG, and noww she makes everyone a have a moment of silence in Ashe. She should write a book on "How To Endear Yourself To The Masses Even Though Your Serve Is Quite Crap."

+ Reply to Thread