+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: US Open - Tennis

I am watching the Serena/Jennifer match and Serena had a point clearly in at duece and the lines person calls it in, and then the chair makes a mistake and calls advantage Jennifer. Serena, understandably goes to the chair and starts screaming and complaining. They don't change it and Jennifer ends up breaking Serena, a total travistry. The commentaters all go crazy and I ws just shocked. It was the first game of the third set.

I'm so disappointed.
    I can't stand Capriati and it's even more annoying to see her win after such poor officiating.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I'm so disappointed.
    I can't stand Capriati and it's even more annoying to see her win after such poor officiating.
    I have NEVER been more pissed off as a result of ANY tennis match in my life.

If all the right calls would have been made, Serena would have won the match. I am not saying she would have won the game and that would give her power to win the match, but the points were there for her to win the match, point blank period.

There was the first point I talked about in the first game of the third set. Then there was another THREE bad calls just in the last game alone. One that would have gave Jennifer a double fault and two balls that were CLEARLY in and were called out.

I could honestly speculate that there was some intentional bad calls.

At the end of the match they interview Jennifer and she just said she went with the person in the chair and the whole crowed starting booing. Jennifer then makes a BS statement that Serena won the game that she was complaining about anyway, so "what's the big deal." When in reality, Jennifer actually won that game.

I am just beyond annoyed. ARG!

The second grand slam a Williams was screwed. Venus' match againest Sprem where the person in the chair just gave Sprem points.

Final score: 2-6, 6-4, 6-4. :phhht

Best defenceman ever canadian_d's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    I am watching the Serena/Jennifer match and Serena had a point clearly in at duece and the lines person calls it in, and then the chair makes a mistake and calls advantage Jennifer. Serena, understandably goes to the chair and starts screaming and complaining. They don't change it and Jennifer ends up breaking Serena, a total travistry. The commentaters all go crazy and I ws just shocked. It was the first game of the third set.
    That was one intense and emotional match so far (that I've seen anyways) in this tournament! As much as I dislike Serena, I must admit that there were terrible calls made against her and I felt bad because in a way she was robbed. Jennifer was very LUCKY.
    "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from indomitable will."

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Serena got robbed and thats just not right!

Regrettably, the replay on television showed that an incorrect overrule was made by the Chair Umpire. A mistake was made and I have discussed the call with the Chair Umpire, Ms. Alves. Ms. Alves is not scheduled to officiate another match during the 2004 US Open.

The USTA continues to explore video replay technology as a future aid to officials, with tests conducted as recently as this year's US Open qualifying tournament.

Fifth seed Lindsay Davenport advanced to her third straight US Open semifinal Wednesday night, after demolishing unseeded Shinobu Asagoe of Japan, 6-1, 6-1, in just 46 minutes. Davenport, the champion here in 1988, will next meet No. 9 Svetlana Kuznetsova, who was a 7-6, 6-3 winner over fellow Russian Nadia Petrova. Roger Federer and Andre Agassi are now battling in Arthur Ashe Stadium, and Tim Henman is taking on Dominik Hrbaty on the Grandstand.

As much as I agree that Serena got completely robbed on that call and a few others... she was the first one today that stepped up and said that the calls did not cost her the game. Serena said that she should have closed Capriati out in the second set, but her play level wasn't up to her par.

A little Olympic humor... worthy of a teeny giggle.

Here are the top nine comments made by NBC sports commentators so far during the Summer Olympics that they would like to take back:

1. Weightlifting commentator: "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing."

2. Dressage commentator: "This is really a lovely horse and I speak from personal experience since I once mounted her mother."

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: "I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father."

4. Boxing Analyst: "Sure there have been injuries, and even some deaths in boxing, but none of them really that serious."

5. Softball announcer: "If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again."

6. Basketball analyst: "He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces."

7. At the rowing medal ceremony: "Ah, isn't that nice, the wife of the IOC president is hugging the cox of the British crew."

8. Soccer commentator: "Julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like they've got eleven Dicks on the field."

9. Tennis commentator: "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them... Oh my God, what have I just said?"
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Serena handled the situation great, all she asked for was a written apology which she got, she even gave credit to Capriati. Most other players would call out Capriati for not being a good sportsman. I've always hated Capriati, I think she's a smug bitch and I hope Dementieva beats her. I'd really like Lindsay to win the tournament, she's playing well and if she wins, she'll be the new world number one.

2001 US Open champion Lleyton Hewitt advanced to his first Grand Slam semifinal in two years Thursday, after notching a 6-2, 6-2, 6-2 victory over Germany's Tommy Haas in just an hour and 38 minutes. Hewitt, the tournament's fourth seed, has not dropped a set in his five matches here and extends his winning streak to 15 matches. He will next meet the winner of tonight's quarterfinal between Andy Roddick and Joachim Johansson. Earlier, Roger Federer advanced to the first US Open semifinal of his career, defeating Andre Agassi, 6-3, 2-6, 7-5, 3-6, 6-3. He will meet Tim Henman in Saturday's semifinals. Henman was a 6-1, 7-5, 5-7, 6-2 winner over Dominik Hrbaty.

+ Reply to Thread