+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NFL Divisional Playoffs (Week 2)

NFL Divisional Playoffs (Week 2)

Saturday, Jan. 11

Pittsburgh at Tennessee, 4:30 pm

The rested Titans have flown under the radar screen all season, and that's just fine with them. Quarterback Steve McNair overcame multiple nagging injuries for an MVP-like performance this year. The Steelers, meanwhile, were outplayed by the Cleveland Browns for three quarters in the wild-card round, but rallied to score 22 points in the fourth quarter during a furious comeback to advance.
    Atlanta at Philadelphia, 8:00 pm
    Michael Vick and the Falcons looked very impressive in a 27-7 win on the road at Green Bay. This week, however, they'll face one of the league's best defenses in Philadelphia. Donovan McNabb returns for the Eagles for the first time since breaking his ankle Nov. 17. Atlanta overcame long odds at hostile and frigid Lambeau Field -- can they do the same at Veterans Stadium?
    Sunday, Jan. 12
    San Francisco at Tampa Bay, 1:00 pm

San Francisco is coming off a thrilling 39-38 comeback win over the Giants. The 49ers appear vulnerable on defense, but will be facing a Buccaneers offense that hasn't exactly been a powerhouse this season. The big question mark for Tampa Bay is whether QB Brad Johnson's sore back will be healed enough to enable him to play. The Bucs defense was tops in the league during the regular season, but many believe they need the poised Johnson back in the lineup to have a legitimate chance in the playoffs.
    N.Y. Jets at Oakland, 4:30 pm
    Oakland ended New York's season last year in a first-round playoff game, but the Jets are one of the league's hottest teams right now and have serious momentum on their side. They dimantled the Colts 41-0 in the wild-card round, and are being dubbed by some as this year's Patriots. The AFC West champion Raiders may have something to say about that. They have some momentum of their own, going 7-1 over the second half of the season.

Danny Sheridan's odds for these games (from USA Today):

Saturday's games
    TENNESSEE 4 Pittsburgh 44
    PHILADELPHIA 7 Atlanta 39

Sunday's games
    TAMPA BAY 5 San Francisco 39
    OAKLAND 5 N.Y. Jets 47

Once again, Danny's predicting all home teams to win. I'll disagree on the Titans/Steelers game. And the Bucs game depends quite a bit on whether Brad Johnson is healthy enough to at least play a little of the game.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Okay, let me see if I can play sports pundit here. All this is gathered mainly from my own thoughts, other pundits, and, again, my gut.

Pittsburgh at Tennessee
    Tommy Maddox is good. But Steve McNair is better. Besides, not having just one Pro Bowler does wonders for motivation. Tennessee by two touchdowns.

Atlanta at Philadelphia
    Atlanta managed to survive the Frozen Tundra known as Lambeau Field. This time, however, they'll be up against a team not horribly decimated by injury. The only question is how rusty McNabb will be. Eagles by a touchdown.

San Francisco at Tampa Bay
    Well, tough call. 49ers showed some good stuff in the Giants game, but a large part of that was simply the Giants. Bucs by a field goal.

New York Jets at Oakland
    Is Pennington the new Brady? I think so. After all, whipping the Colts that badly is bound to be good for them. The Jets are going to be hungry like no other team. Upset win: Jets by a touchdown.

Any other guesses?
    Last edited by Leo; 01-08-2003 at 10:03 AM.

Good first game, and as usual, an overtime game is really decided by the coin toss, not by what is on the field.

Some combination of how the colleges do it would be so much better.

McNair deserved the win just for what he played through this year.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Oh my god...Tennessee is the dirtiest team I've ever seen. I hate them so much. I mean, the Steelers did mess up badly during the overtime (Washington's missed tackle), but Nedney totally exaggerated his little fall after that missed field goal. That Steeler guy barely touched his leg. I had just been saying that I didn't see how kickers could be dirty, but since Nedney's little stunt, I think that I've seen it all. Oh yeah...I don't like Jeff Fisher either.

So you'll be vacationing in Nashville this year Mike?
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.

Oh yeah...I'm gonna go there and support the best team in the NFL. Too bad they suck so much. Okay...maybe Nedney's leg was bumped, but it wouldn't have made him collapse like that. What a loser...the whole team is pathetic! They screw with every team they play...especially Jacksoville. So, I'm quite vengeful.

Raiders - Bucs. The rest are doomed to fall.

Originally posted by jodaar
    Raiders - Bucs. The rest are doomed to fall.
    I think that would make a great Super Bowl... but... McNabb looks very healthy, so that means trouble for the Bucs (don't tell John!), and the Jets are so hot that they may well pick on that Oakland secondary tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast