+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A damn shame

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar

A damn shame

This is just a shame. I hate to see when games end on controversy (especially a playoff game).

And rotten tomatoes to that sports announcer that got everyone riled up about the placeholder not spiking the ball to stop the clock. An offensive penalty in the last 2 minutes of the game means an automatic runoff of 10 seconds...which would have meant the game was over.

From the NFL.com wire reports
    A videotape review by NFL Director of Officiating Mike Pereira of the final play -- the Giants' 41-yard field goal attempt with six seconds remaining -- determined the following:

Tam Hopkins, No. 65, of the Giants lined up as the left guard and was illegally downfield on the pass attempt. The three flags thrown on this play were for this penalty.

Guard Rich Seubert, No. 69, was an eligible receiver on Giants field-goal attempts. This was reported to the officiating crew prior to the game as is routinely done before every game.
    49ers defensive end Chike Okeafor interfered with Seubert downfield when he was attempting to catch Giants holder Matt Allen's pass. This defensive pass-interference penalty against the 49ers was not called.

If defensive pass interference had been called, there would have been offsetting penalties (ineligible receiver against the Giants and pass interference against the 49ers) with the down replayed at the original line of scrimmage, the San Francisco 23-yard line. Although time had expired, a game cannot end with offsetting penalties. Thus, the game would have been extended by one untimed down.

One additional note on the play: Allen did not have the option of spiking the ball to stop the clock, which only can be done by taking a hand-to-hand snap directly from the center. If Allen had spiked the ball, it would have been a penalty for intentionally grounding the ball and the game would have ended due to a 10-second runoff of the clock.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Yeah, I think his only option was to roll out like he did, and then throw the ball out of bounds.

Too bad about the call. I thought instant replay was supposed to stop this kind of stuff.

Not that I expected the Giants to make the kick even if they got it again though.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Several bad calls were made through the first week of the playoffs. It's sad to see, because these are supposed to be the best of the officials, versus the regular "crews" that work the regular season.

And you know...instant replay would not have even helped in this situation because I don't believe that pass interference is a reviewable call. (which makes no sense to me...I mean, if the purpose of IR is to make a right call, why are there restrictions on what is reviewable and what isn't...?)
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)

Leo
    Premium Member
    Hmmm... even if the refs blew it, I still have no sympathy for the Giants. They blew the game, period.

<--------- Giants fans

They definitely did. The fighting back twice in a row was a HUGE mistake by them. Those players should know better, and it cost them 15 yards, and probably a touchdown.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Bravo, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Giants were called for an illegal man down field, right? If they'd just spiked it, the guy wouldn't have had time to get down field, so I think the announcers may have been correct.

I have a good friend that is a Niners fan (that we're actually friends despite that says a lot ) and he was at the game. He got pretty frustrated with me when I emailed him regarding the blown call. He thinks that it takes away from the amazing comeback the Niners had. Of course, I pointed out that had the call been made correctly, it might have been the amazing last second loss.

According to the last paragraph in the article, "If Allen had spiked the ball, it would have been a penalty for intentionally grounding the ball and the game would have ended due to a 10-second runoff of the clock."

Right...spiking the ball would have been a bad decision as the game would have ended due to that runoff rule. (which they impose to keep teams without timeouts from abusing in the last 2 minutes of the game)

Originally posted by Wayner
    He got pretty frustrated with me when I emailed him regarding the blown call. He thinks that it takes away from the amazing comeback the Niners had.
    Exactly! That's why I think the whole thing is a damn shame. Sucks for the Giants because they should have had a second shot at the FG, and it sucks for the Niners because everyone is concentrating on the blown call.

Personally I was not for either team. But I love a great game...just disappointed when it ends in controversy because then nobody really wins.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast