+ Reply to Thread

Thread: J. Burton to the #30 Car

J. Burton to the #30 Car

http://www.rcrracing.com/messageboar...?type=1&id=140

WELCOME, N.C. (Aug. 12, 2004) -- Richard Childress Racing (RCR) has signed Jeff Burton to a multi-year agreement to drive its No. 30 America Online Chevrolet beginning at next week’s GFS Marketplace 400 at Michigan International Speedway.

Burton, 37, competed in one NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series race in 1993 before becoming a fulltime driver and earning rookie-of-the-year honors in 1994. In 352 series starts, he has earned 17 victories, two poles, 90 top-five and 147 top-10 finishes. The South Boston, Va., native finished in the top-10 in the championship point standings from 1997-2001. Burton also lays claim to 20 victories, 63 top-five and 106 top-10 finishes in 239 starts in the NASCAR Busch Series.

“Jeff will bring a great deal of experience and knowledge to the America Online team and all of RCR,” said Richard Childress, president and CEO of Richard Childress Racing. “I know back in 1998 and 1999, Dale Earnhardt talked to Jeff quite a bit about driving the No. 3 car when he retired. Then Kevin [Harvick] came along and the plan shifted toward him but Jeff was still high on the list.

“I’ve really watched Jeff’s talent and his ability to race for a championship,” added Childress. “He is a driver who knows how to get the job done and we’re going to give him what it takes to be a championship contender.”

Childress and Burton will hold a media conference in the Watkins Glen International infield media center Friday, Aug. 13, at 10:00 a.m. EDT.

“I have always had the utmost respect for Richard Childress, and we’re both dedicated to winning and running up front every week,” said Burton. “This opportunity gives me a fresh start with a proven organization that is committed to success both on and off the track. I look forward to getting back into Victory Lane with RCR and I will work extremely hard to carry on the winning tradition.

“Since 1996, I have enjoyed some of the greatest days of my life with the No. 99 Roush Racing team,” continued Burton. “I will forever be grateful to Jack Roush, my driving teammates and my crew. I wish only the best for the entire organization.”

“America Online is very excited to have a driver of Jeff’s caliber in the seat of the No. 30 car,” said J.D. Ettore, America Online’s Director, National Brand Promotions & Sponsorships. “We are thrilled to have a multi-race winner driving for and representing America Online. America Online has a lot of respect for Jeff and his abilities and we, along with RCR, want to welcome him and look forward to great things with him.”
    ______________________________ ______________________________ _____

Carl Edwards to Drive Roush Racing No.99 Ford

Concord, N.C. (August 12, 2004) – Roush Racing announced today that Carl Edwards, age 24, will enter the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series competition as the driver of the No. 99 Roush Racing Ford for the remainder of the 2004 season commencing in Michigan at the GFS Marketplace 400 on Sunday, August 22. Edwards, currently third in the Craftsman Truck Series championship standings, will continue to drive the No. 99 Superchips F-150 in the remaining Truck Series races.

"This is the opportunity of a lifetime," said Edwards. "I'm really excited about the opportunity that Jack Roush has given me to drive the No. 99 Ford. I'm really looking forward to working with Bob (Osborne, crew chief) and the entire No. 99 team. I've been watching the team and it's obvious they have turned a corner and I'm excited to have the chance to help continue that momentum. They've had great race cars this year and awesome pit stops and I'm really looking forward to working together as a team to try and take the No. 99 Ford to victory lane."

"Roush Racing is faced with a great opportunity to provide the necessary platform for the warp-speed advancement into NEXTEL Cup stardom of yet another ambitious, resourceful, talented and charismatic driver in the person of Carl Edwards," said Jack Roush, owner Roush Racing. "This unexpected window of opportunity has been made possible through Jeff Burton's decision not to execute his option to drive the No. 99 Ford Taurus in 2005. Carl will follow in the footsteps of Kurt Busch, Greg Biffle, Matt Kenseth, Mark Martin, and Jeff Burton in being supported by Roush Racing's best people and hardware at a time when his experience and motivations are certain to propel him into NASCAR's most elite group."

"The No. 99 legacy began at Roush Racing with Jeff Burton who has done an outstanding job for Roush Racing, its sponsors and the entire sport," said Geoff Smith, President of Roush Racing. "Carl Edwards has both the talent and demeanor to build on the No. 99's legacy of success.”

"It should be remembered that the No. 99 team is still in business and is still looking to land a primary sponsor," continued Smith.

Roush Racing is a subsidiary of Livonia, Mich., based Roush Industries that operates nine motorsports teams; five in NASCAR Nextel Cup with drivers Mark Martin, Matt Kenseth, Kurt Busch, Greg Biffle and Carl Edwards; two in the Busch Series with Martin, Kenseth and Biffle, and two in the Craftsman Truck Series with drivers Jon Wood and Edwards. For sponsorship inquiries please contact John Miller at Roush Racing at 704.720.4600.

http://www.roushracing.com/jack_rous...081204_212.htm

Great!!! I like Jeff and hope that Childress can make him all that much more successful.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    this will be interesting to see if harvick gets along with him like he does robbie gordon.

lets hope jeff gets back into the winners circle. though as he gets older he seems to be getting grumpier.

Quote Originally Posted by joeguy
    ......though as he gets older he seems to be getting grumpier.
    Aren't we all?

+ Reply to Thread