+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sports Stars You Have Met

I wouldn't necessarily call them "stars", but I've met several ex-Lions and a few ex-MLB players.

JR.
    I don't have any pictures because I am very lame, but I have run into:
    Ray Bourque, Andy Moog, Garry Galley, Gord Kluzak, Derek Sanderson, Jim Rice, Dwight Evans, Tiny Archibald, Dee Brown, Rick Fox, Patrick Ewing, Fred Smerlas, Steve Grogan

Bill Walton was the speaker at the freshman get-together thingy my first year in college and I got to shake his hand. I had an autographed napkin, but heaven knows where it is now.

My grandpa sat next to Brent Jones at a benefit and San Francisco and my gramma still has a picture of the two of them somewhere.

Jerry Rice was in Billings, MT for some fundraiser and came into the bar where my sister and I went dancing one night. He even asked her to dance!! Since no one brings a camera to the bar on the off-chance a great NFLer will show up, we have no pics, but she really did get her groove on with him. On the dance floor only, of course.

FORT Fogey
    I met Brandi Chastain at the CyberRays games. She signed my shoe because I didn't have anything else for her to sign. She thought it was the weirdest thing ever. I still have that shoe up in the attic. Sissi has also signed my shirt.

EDIT- how did I forget that I met Mia Hamm??? We went to the World Cup games a couple years back (94) and I shook her hand! Greatest day of my life.

Wow...I will NEVER be able to remember them all but here's a list of less than 1/2 the athletes I've met:

(BTW, I don't have a scanner but maybe one day I'll copy pics and someone can post them for me)

NHL:
    Claude Lemieux, Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, Jose Theodore, Brett Hull, Steve Yzerman, Ray Bourque, ALL the Habs from the late 80's 'til present, Jaromir Jagr, Mark Messier, Martin Brodeur, Eric Lindros, Alexandre Daigle, Mats Sundin, Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Mike Ricci, Ed Belfour, Shayne Corson, Chris Pronger and tons more!!

MLB:
    Javy Lopez, Pedro Martinez, Raul Mondesi, Vladimir Guererro, Alex Gonzalez, Jose Vidro, Javier Vasquez, Vinny Castilla, Edgar Renteria, David Justice and many more!

I met Marvin Jones from the New York Jets at a restaurant in NY. I had no clue who he was, he asked me for my number.

What a grea thread. Again...I don't have a scanner so I can't post pics.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaLaruefan
    I met Marvin Jones from the New York Jets at a restaurant in NY. I had no clue who he was, he asked me for my number.

that just proves that Marvin has good taste, after having seen your picture!!!

We met Steve Nash (Dallas Mavericks) about 4 years ago when we were on vacation in AZ, which is funny b/c we live in the Dallas area & have never bumped into him here; and we were at dinner a couple of months ago, & Pavel Podkolzin (rookie for the Mavs this year) was there with another player (I can't remember who); I went to Jr. high & high school with Todd VanPoppel (don't know if I should admit that); my husband went to school (college - North Texas University) with Eric Pegram (he used to play for the Atlanta Falcons, I think he's retired now); I was at a club in NYC once & Wilt Chamberlain was there. Probably picking up his nightly lay. I've met Darryl Johnston (Dallas Cowboys) & Chuck Etchells (used to race Funny Cars), & that's all I can think of. I know a couple of people who have met Denis Rodman, but I've never met him.

ETA: duh, I forgot: I was on a cruise about 4 years ago & there were a bunch of baseball players on there, both current & retired. Both Giambi brothers were on it, Vida Blue, & that's all I can remember right now. My mind is blank. My friend kept rubbing Vida's bald head & her husband was getting pissed. It was funny.
    Last edited by holly71; 08-19-2004 at 06:24 PM.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by joeguy
    that just proves that Marvin has good taste, after having seen your picture!!!

Aww...Joeguy, you're such a sweetie.

FORT Fogey
    I saw Darren Dutchyshen (sp?) a broadcaster for TSN in Canada at the Ottawa airport a few years back... but I was too shy to say anything... of course, most people wouldn't know who he was... he's the one with the girly lips.

When I was a kid at a lakers game my father took me in the VIP lounge and he told Elgin Baylor that "my son would like to shake your hand" and when I went to shake his hand I dropped my soda and it spilled all over Elgin's suit He was Okay about it, but I could tell that he wasn't too thrilled.

I played golf with Tiger and his father at a little par 3 course when he a 2 and I was 17 at the time. I knew the kid was pretty special for a 2 year old but I had no idea.

About two weeks after Alejandro Pena gave up the gave winning hit in the World Series (I can't recall if it was '91 or '92) me and my father played in a fivesome with him, Walt Hazzard (UCLA Bruins, Lakers), and Larry Brown (former running back with the Washington Redskins) at Montebello Country Club (about 10 miles east of downtown Los Angeles). Pena talked about the loss in the world series like it was just another game.

When I marshalled at the Nissan (LA) open I had a nice conversation with John Cook. What a nice guy.
    Last edited by Tigerusty; 08-19-2004 at 08:21 PM.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast