+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2004 Summer Olympics From Athens, Greece

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    I love Ron McLean. It's so great to see him in the summer.

It goes without saying, but CBC's coverage is top notch. I've been flipping between CBC and NBC and it's so nice to watch live events. CBC does such a great job of finding events of interest without going overboard on the human interest stories. They do a good job of focusing on ALL the events, not just events that Canadians with a good shot of winning medals are competing in.

And so ends my flag waving moment...
    Amen to that. I am sooooo glad I get the CBC coverage. Every once in a while, I flip to NBC just to remind myself how superior the Canadian coverage is.

I caught some of the match. Don't know a lot about basketball. Not a great spectator or TV sport here. I think one of the commentators said that the US usually play different rules. Is that right, and did it contribute to their defeat.
    The rules are slightly different.

- a shorter game clock (40 minutes, not 48)
    - a wider lane (trapezoidal instead of rectangular)
    - an easier 3-point shot (20˝ feet, not 23’ 9”)
    - a smaller court (91 feet, 10 inches versus 94’)
    - two referees rather than three
    - no rule against knocking the ball off the rim.
    - the ball is about an inch bigger than the NBA’s.

These are rules NBA players shouldn't have trouble adjusting to, given the great talent they have and the experienced coaching.

That would still not be a "Dream Team." That's probably the best team you can make of the current generation of NBA players. I'd take the original Dream Team over that bunch any day.
    I think the current team would at least make it close. Shaq, Duncan and KG would have a slight edge over the Dream Team frontcourt of Barkley, Robinson, Malone. The backcourt has some very good defensive players in McGrady, Kidd and Bryant. Jordan, Magic and Stockton would at least be challenged on offense.
    Last edited by happyblue; 08-16-2004 at 02:34 PM.

The 3-point shot is 3 feet closer in?! And they shot 3-for-24 from that range? Wow. That's a complete abomination. Where have all the pure shooters gone?
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by BravoFan
    I absolutely feel like I must comment on the attire that the women's beach volleyball players wear.

When did this tradition start? Has it always been this way?

I don't know, it makes ME uncomfortable watching them (not because the bikinis are pretty skimpy, but because it looks like it would be uncomfortable!) When you're participating in sports the last thing you want to worry about is making sure that your underwear/bikini isn't riding up.

Seems like it would have been more sensible to choose something like the cute "boy short" swim suits for women.

Anyone else curious about this?
    With what it takes to be an Olympian, I'm mostly just curious how this got to be considered an Olympic Calibre Sport. What's next...Lawn darts?

But I was mostly jealous a 37 year old could look that good in the BV outfit.

Can I post spoiler here? The much-anticipated and hyped showdown between Ian Thorpe and Mike Phelps in Men's 200-freestyle was just over: Ian Thorpe won and Mike Phelps was third. There goes the hope of catching Mark Spitz's record...

Woo! Canada won it's first medal, be it a bronze. It was women's synchronized diving. China came in first, Russia second. It took long enough for us to win one.

yeah i saw that spoiler on msn....i figured it would go down that way

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedo
    Woo! Canada won it's first medal, be it a bronze. It was women's synchronized diving. China came in first, Russia second. It took long enough for us to win one.
    Yep, finally!!

I was bummed out when I was spoiled on another site. I was really looking forward to watching it "live" on NBC tonight! :phhht

Quote Originally Posted by Maxima
    I was bummed out when I was spoiled on another site. I was really looking forward to watching it "live" on NBC tonight! :phhht
    I hate that as well, but then I realized that NBC primetime would be Athens early morning.
    Gustav Holst was right!

+ Reply to Thread