+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2004 Summer Olympics From Athens, Greece

Quote Originally Posted by DJeterFan
    USA Basketball = :phhht

That's what they get; they were so cocky and expected to waltz through to the gold. Ain't gonna happen, boys. Put your huge diamond earrings away and start playing like a real team.

On a side note, go USA!
    I caught some of the match. Don't know a lot about basketball. Not a great spectator or TV sport here. I think one of the commentators said that the US usually play different rules. Is that right, and did it contribute to their defeat.

On another point, that God for the synchronized diveing. The only British medal so far. As usual utterly woeful performances!!!

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I absolutely feel like I must comment on the attire that the women's beach volleyball players wear.

When did this tradition start? Has it always been this way?

I don't know, it makes ME uncomfortable watching them (not because the bikinis are pretty skimpy, but because it looks like it would be uncomfortable!) When you're participating in sports the last thing you want to worry about is making sure that your underwear/bikini isn't riding up.

Seems like it would have been more sensible to choose something like the cute "boy short" swim suits for women.

Anyone else curious about this?
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Team USA basketball, just an embarassing loss.

What happened to USA women's swimming team?
    I think we won't be number 1 this time because Aussie & China they already lead in front with 6 and 5 more gold medals then us

As far as the USA Basketball team goes, you could almost see this one coming. And it could get far worse for them as the tournament progresses. I was unhappy with them being referred to as "the current edition of the Dream Team" even before they lost. But now it's just a ridiculous embarrassment. In my mind, there was only ONE Dream Team, the original 1992 Barcelona bunch. You're talking over half a dozen sure-fire Hall of Famers in that group (Jordan, Magic, Bird, Admiral, Mailman, Stockton, Sir Charles), 3 other strong candidates (Drexler, Pippen, Ewing), and a great pure shooter who was at the top of his game (Chris Mullin). Throw in the #1 college player of the year that year (Christian Laettner), and you truly did have a Dream Team. And they played like it. 114 points per game or so, margin of victory an AVERAGE of 44 points. Those guys knew how to play basketball, and they were a joy to watch. These new clowns...give me a break. They're SO far from being a Dream Team they can't even place a local call to the Dream Team from where they are. I think there's a strong possibility this group won't even sniff a medal of any color, let alone win the gold.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Yes, I've been noticing the outfits everyone is weraing. About the beach volleyball, I can only say why aren't the men dressing in skimpy shorts and tops too? They seem to make out quite nicely with long tanks tops and sensible shorts--maybe they care more about how they play instead of how they look.
    In swimming, the men are wearing even more clothing than you would think possible, with those new outfits that I imagine help them glide thru the water faster. The women are wearing these things too.

Quote Originally Posted by BravoFan
    I absolutely feel like I must comment on the attire that the women's beach volleyball players wear.
    Best olympic sport ever! Notice that there's fewer butt-shots in the men's competition.
    Do the Canadians have a strong team?
    Overall, they don't. Some have projected 12 medals. I say, not even double-digit... 8.
    Team USA basketball, just an embarassing loss.
    If they want form a so-called "Dream Team" and romp over international teams, they have to field their best players. End of story.

This should've been the US team:

C Shaq
    PF Duncan
    SF KG
    SG TMac
    PG Kidd

Bench
    R Hamilton
    E Brand
    B Wallace
    K Bryant
    B Barry (% shooting)
    S Cassell (% shooting)
    J O'Neal
    Last edited by happyblue; 08-16-2004 at 03:13 PM.

As far as I know, beach volleyball was invented on the beaches of SoCal. I guess that's what they wear when they go to beaches over there...

Quote Originally Posted by happyblue
    If they want form a so-called "Dream Team" and romp over international teams, they have to field their best players. End of story.

This should've been the US team:
    That would still not be a "Dream Team." That's probably the best team you can make of the current generation of NBA players. I'd take the original Dream Team over that bunch any day. Even now.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

What I heard about USA Dream Team that none of the BIG name player want to participate in the Olympic ..what a shame..in my opinion that they live here in United States, got paid a lot, but they don't want to get a gold medal for the country :phhht

+ Reply to Thread