+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2829303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: The 2004 Summer Olympics From Athens, Greece

I think that's a very good explanation,coksy.
    We were discussing this issue earlier in the thread and some of came to the same conclusion as yourself.
    Had the American panel who found the Korean mistake examined Hamm's routines in the same manner, they might well have also found causes for deductions in his various scores across the six apparatus.
    They really needed to do that, imo, if they wanted their findings in the Korean's one routine to have any broad credibility.
    I don't think you need to look too closely to see that he was generously marked for his vault.

I don't think the American's should even open that door in Hamm's defence.
    I think they should simply stick with the fact that the FIG is asking Hamm to correct a mistake he himself didn't make.

Did anybody see the flub between I believe Williams and Jones when the passed the buton? Jones was going to pass the buton, but Williams started to early running, and they just couldn't get it handed off. They ended up being out of their zone, resulting in an automatic DQ.

Thanks, I understand now. But I still think that FIG is a bunch of wimps for trying to pass off their own incompetence onto an athlete who was not responsible for their judges' mistakes.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    Gold medal in the 100m hurdles for China in a world record equalling run.
    I think that has to be the first track gold medal for China, probably ever
    No. Actually it's the third. First for a male athlete. Women has won two golds in 10,000m. One in Atlanta, one in Athens.

Some other thoughts. Paula Radcliffe was two for two in Athens - for dropping off competition! It's really a shame. She should learn something from her fellow Brit, a triathlon athlete who carried his bike on his shoulder and ran on his feet when he got a flat tire! Can you imagine that? It was one of the most moving scenes at these games.

I'm getting tired of this mess around gymnastics all-around gold. But I don't know whether if Tim Daggert is ultimate technical authority on this.

As far as I am concerned about the gymnastics all around gold fiasco, the IFG ought to be ashamed of itself. It's judges screwed up. South Korea failed to protest in time. There is a reason the IFG isn't just taking back the medal. It can't under it's own rules. Should the Kansas City Royals give back their World Series rings from 1985? In Game 6, the 1st base umpire clearly called a runner safe who was out on what would have been the last play of the Series. Despite that fact, the Royals won both Game 6 and Game 7 and that isn't changing. Human error is a part of any sport that is judged in any way and always will be. Paul Hamm should never have been put in this position by the IFG.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    Did anybody see the flub between I believe Williams and Jones when the passed the buton? Jones was going to pass the buton, but Williams started to early running, and they just couldn't get it handed off. They ended up being out of their zone, resulting in an automatic DQ.
    I saw that, but I disagree on what happened. I think it was Jones' fault more than Williams... Marion did what was called "The windshield wiper" by one of our athletics analysts on CBC, and managed to hit the side of Williams hand a few times, but never gave it to her properly... I noticed that she didn't seem to be nearly as upset as the other three at the end of the race. I'm not even american, and I was pissed off at her attitude last night.

Marion was near tears but she was fighting hard to keep her emotions in check while being interviewed after the race--all the while all of the team-mates were supporting each other and not pointing fingers. They definitely had the team concept down, as they knew it could happen to any one of them on any given day. You can bet Marion was very upset over the incident and her entire Olympic experience this time around.

Mariner, I agree with every word of your post. No way should Hamm have been put in the situation he has, and even the IOC expresses remorse that they didn't step in earlier to defend and deflect criticism away from Hamm.
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

Congrats to Canada for getting a set of olympic medals today. Finally hit the double digits in the total # of medals! Gold & Bronze in kayaking (Adam van Koeverden & Caroline Brunet) and Silver in sailing.
    Unfortunate for Despatie finishing 4th in 10m platform diving, but still put out a great effort.
    Did anyone see that 14-year old from Malaysia in 10m diving prelims? He reminded me of Despatie back in Sydney. Too bad he just missed the prelims, but we'll probably see more of him in the next few olympics.

Gold for the British men in the 4x100 relay

I'm hoarse from screaming them across the line.

FORT Fogey
    BlueMeanie, maybe Marion was different in her interview with NBC... that's the only way I can figure it... When CBC interviewed the team, she seemed to almost shrug it off...

+ Reply to Thread