+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: The 2004 Summer Olympics From Athens, Greece

Kat
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeterFan
    pineapple, is the medal count for Canada in your signature for the swim team or the entire team??
    That's for all of Canadian medals combined.
    -Kat

Gold medal in the 100m hurdles for China in a world record equalling run.
    I think that has to be the first track gold medal for China, probably ever

Paula Radcliffe is running the 10,000m, hope she's made the right decision. Don't think a medal is possible

Quote Originally Posted by DJeterFan
    pineapple, is the medal count for Canada in your signature for the swim team or the entire team??
    Haha, that would be just great if it were for just the swim team, but unfortunately Canada didn't even medal in any of the swimming events.

Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl
    Paula Radcliffe is running the 10,000m, hope she's made the right decision. Don't think a medal is possible
    I hope she surprises everyone. I was watching the marathon coverage live (CBC) on Sunday morning with my mother who was here visiting. We both teared up when Paula had to quit.

OT: How dense am I? I had to see that Tim Horton's/Toffee commercial four times before I finally figured out the idea was that they thought his name was toffee.

Oh dear, I have my fingers crossed for Paula.

Amir (sp) Khan has reached the final in his weightclass in boxing for Britain.
    He's the only British boxer taking part and is only 17.
    He just out-pointed his opponent by about 10 points in the semi.

The US women's team messed up in the 4x100.
    The change between second and third did not take place within the ten metre zone so they were disqulaified.

Oh dear, Paula didn't finish the 10k.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    Oh dear, Paula didn't finish the 10k.

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar

Letter to Paul Hamm

Here is the letter to Paul Hamm from the International Gymnastics Federation in which they recommend giving back the gold medal and declaring Yang Tae Young the true Gold All-Around winner.

Le President
    Bruno Grandi
    Athens, 26th August 2004
    FAIRPLAY

Dear Paul,

Firstly may I extend to you and to the USA team my heartfelt congratulations for your magnificent results at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens. (Related item: USOC's response)

I have addressed this letter to you after having read the following statements attributed to you in the American press: "It was very hard to focus after what has happened the previous days. At this moment, I don't feel that I have to give back my medal. If the FIG will decide that I have to give it back, I'll do it. There are many different options about what I have to do. I can understand my Korean opponent. I believe that something is going to happen soon."

This declaration, which gave me great pleasure, was made by a great gymnast and true champion who has the highest ethical values. This act, which demonstrates the highest level of honesty, places you amongst the true Olympic champions. I wish to confirm that your words grant you the highest esteem from the worldwide gymnastics family.

I wish to remind you that the FIG Executive Committee has admitted the error of judgement made on the Parallel Bars and suspended the three responsible judges, two from the A panel and the FIG Technical Committee member. Indeed, the start value of the Korean gymnast Yang Tae Young was given as 9.9 instead of 10. As a result, the true winner of the All-Around competition is Yang Tae Young.

If, (according to your declarations to the press), you would return your medal to the Korean if the FIG requested it, then such an action would be recognised as the ultimate demonstration of Fairplay by the whole world. The FIG and the IOC would highly appreciate the magnitude of this gesture.

At this moment in time, you are the only one who can make this decision. (Related letter: USOC responds to FIG letter)

With my best regards and deepest respect,

Bruno Grandi, FIG President
    Link and USOC response

I feel bad for Paul Hamm - what a terrible situation for him in something that should be a dream come true.

+ Reply to Thread