+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2004 Summer Olympics From Athens, Greece

The Malaysian and Canadian judges clearly didn't give Nemov the score his routine deserved.
    I think the crowd assisted in helping get the marks revised, but the scores of 9.6 and 9.65 for that routine were ridiculous and should have been changed anyway.

I'll say again, I don't like Hamm, but I did feel for him last night to once again be in the hot seat as it were.
    I found it rather ridiculous that Hamm got the same score as the Italian, but I'm not a judge and I'm sure the release and catch moves are catching my eye more than they possibly should and I give less praise to a solid, less spectacular routine.

With regard to the parallel bars, I believe the Korean guys routine was the same as the one he performed in the team competition, that he was marked out of ten for.
    I think it's reaching on the part of the US commentators to suggest he should have been deducted two tenths for an additional hold and have no doubt that they would have been belly-aching had the entire scenario (including the precise make-up of the routines) been reversed.
    If they went over other routines with the same critical eye they would no doubt find other errors that should have been penalised.

All in all, the judging has been very bad and they need to smarten up their act in future.
    The judges have cost people medals they have been working for years to achieve, which is very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I found it rather ridiculous that Hamm got the same score as the Italian, but I'm not a judge and I'm sure the release and catch moves are catching my eye more than they possibly should and I give less praise to a solid, less spectacular routine.
    That's exactly what I said. Obviously, I agree.

I think it's reaching on the part of the US commentators to suggest he should have been deducted two tenths for an additional hold and have no doubt that they would have been belly-aching had the entire scenario (including the precise make-up of the routines) been reversed.
    If they went over other routines with the same critical eye they would no doubt find other errors that should have been penalised.
    The US commentator crew for gymnastics were embarrassingly pro-U.S throughout the entire competition. The analysis of the Korean routine was obviously their attempt to end all the controversy, but it came across as very childish to me. Kind of like saying, "Well, if you want to pick on that, I'll pick on this, and you're STILL wrong. So there! Now shut up!" They even made some heated comment about hoping that this will now settle the matter once and for all. Which, of course, it doesn't.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

All in all, the judging has been very bad and they need to smarten up their act in future.
    The judges have cost people medals they have been working for years to achieve, which is very sad.
    I believe that was the point they were making--if any or all of the routines were reviewed, you could find scoring changes in all of them.

Bottom line: Paul Hamm is not at fault in any of the scoring scandal, as are any of the other athletes. They are at the mercy of the judges scoring them. The judging has been atrocious for the gymnastics events of late. There has not been as much of the high-low swings of scoring as there has been lumping everyone's routines with the same score.

BTW, as far as Nemov, I feel his routine was gold-worthy with the degree of difficulty it had, height, and overall flow.
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
    I believe that was the point they were making--if any or all of the routines were reviewed, you could find scoring changes in all of them.
    Perhaps they should then have cast their critical eye over Hamm's routine, or all the routines.
    I'm not saying they would have found anything, but had they not, it would have underscored their point that the Korean should not have won the gold.

They closely analysed one routine in order to make their point a worthless point if they don't then compare the routines, or in this case all routines on all apparatus as it was the all-round competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    The US commentator crew for gymnastics were embarrassingly pro-U.S throughout the entire competition. The analysis of the Korean routine was obviously their attempt to end all the controversy, but it came across as very childish to me. Kind of like saying, "Well, if you want to pick on that, I'll pick on this, and you're STILL wrong. So there! Now shut up!" They even made some heated comment about hoping that this will now settle the matter once and for all. Which, of course, it doesn't.
    I agree.

I'll completely give you guys that argument!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Switching gears to 100M Hurdle..

You know, I absolutely adore Perdita Felicien, but the way the Canadian announcers have gone on and on and on and on about it, anything less than a gold will be a disappointment. I hope they don't blow it for her.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Damn. Perdita hit the hurdle and went down. What a heartbreak.

American Johanna Hayes won.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    Damn. Perdita hit the hurdle and went down. What a heartbreak.

American Johanna Hayes won.

Too bad, also feel for the Russian!!

Very disappointing for poor Perdita.

There is some rumblings of a rerun as the Russian runner was taken out by Perdita.
    That seems very unfair to the medalists.
    Difficult situation.

I feel so bad for Perdita, I want to go give her a big hug right now. I'm so sad.
    It sucks for the Russian too, it's going to be a tough call for the judges.

+ Reply to Thread