+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cowboys cut Quincy Carter

LT1

Cowboys cut Quincy Carter

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Cowboys cut quarterback Quincy Carter

By STEPHEN HAWKINS, AP Sports Writer
    August 4, 2004
    OXNARD, Calif. (AP) -- Quincy Carter was cut by the Dallas Cowboys on Wednesday, leaving the team with 40-year-old Vinny Testaverde and newcomer Drew Henson at quarterback less than six weeks until the season opener.

Team owner Jerry Jones told a group of reporters at training camp that Carter had been released. Coach Bill Parcells was to hold a news conference later Wednesday.

Carter's agent, Eugene Parker, did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

The third-year player, who started all 16 games last season, came to camp expecting to be the team's No. 1 QB.

The Cowboys drafted Carter in the second round out of Georgia in 2001. He was picked as the starter to replace Troy Aikman during his first training camp, but he struggled and only started the first eight games. He went 3-5, completing 90 of 176 passes for 1,072 yards, five touchdowns and seven interceptions.

The next season, he was the starter out of camp again, leading Dallas to a 3-4 record before losing the job to Chad Hutchinson.

Last season, the Cowboys went 10-6 with Carter starting and returned to the playoffs in Parcells' first year in Dallas. Carter threw for 3,302 yards, but had 21 interceptions and 17 touchdowns. He was intercepted at least twice in a game six times.

Wednesday's surprising move leaves three quarterbacks in camp for the Cowboys: Testaverde, who is reuniting with Parcells; Henson, an NFL rookie after trying to play major league baseball; and unproven second-year player Tony Romo.

Dallas opens the regular season at the Minnesota Vikings on Sept. 12.

I thought Ricky Williams said NFL athletes were taking these drug masking agents "by the gallons". I guess not.

Are the Cowboys seriously considering Testaverde as their starting QB?

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    I went to college with Quincy - I'm so not surprised. What an idiot.
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

It's was a sad day yesterday in Dallas. The news of Quincy's release was a shock to many since a lot of people here supported Quincy. I so wanted him to succeed, so it was very dissapointing, as well as shocking, to hear that this was the second time he failed a drug test. A lot of people didn't even know there was a first time, including me. I can't comprehend how someone would throw his careeer like that.

The only good thing is that this happened before the season started. I hope Quincy can get himself together, and move on.

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    It is so hard to have so much expectation and never see it fulfilled. As a freshman at UGA he destroyed LSU on national television. I thought we had a phenomenal QB for years to come. But Quincy always had attitude & authority problems, probably related to his constant blunt smoking. He and Coach Donnan constantly battled over his lackluster attitude..and we lost a lot of great QBs that transferred while we waited on Quincy to become the bright star he showed that first night.

Believe me when I say UGA fans know how Dallas fans feel.

I too hope Quincy gets it together. Perhaps this will be a wake up call for him, but I wouldn't count on it.
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

+ Reply to Thread