+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roger Clemens Ejected From Son's Game

Roger Clemens Ejected From Son's Game

What a classy guy.

Roger Clemens Is Ejected From Son's Game

CRAIG, Colo. - Houston Astros (news) pitcher Roger Clemens was asked to leave a youth baseball game over the weekend for arguing a close call that went against his son's team.

Clemens was at the game Saturday watching his son, Kacy, compete in a 10-and-under game organized by Triple Crown Sports when Clemens contested a call at second base that went against the Katy Cowboys.

He spit sunflower seeds at an umpire's leg and was asked to leave, said Jim Carpenter, a field supervisor with Triple Crown.

"I supported the umpire's decision and he (Clemens) respectfully left," Carpenter told the Craig Daily Press.

Katy lost the game to the Bakersfield Curve, 11-5.

Triple Crown Sports features a franchise system aimed at pitting top teams from across the country against each other.

Clemens' agent, Randall Hendricks, did not immediately return a call Monday. Clemens has racked up 322 wins and 4,240 strikeouts in his 21-year major league career.
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1362&e=1&u=/ap/20040802/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_clemens_youth_game&sid=95747885

Okay, this is cracking me up.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

A buddy of mine is a distant cousin of his. I just sent him this story.

What a loser

LG.
    as Bugs Bunny would say, "What a maroon"

I feel sorry for his kids if he's yelling and spitting at umps at their games, as I'm sure he's hoping to build a "baseball legacy" family with his sons. I hope they all take up hockey or swimming or chess or something other than baseball if their dad is going to be such a pain.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

It's just so embarassing for the kids because not only does everyone there recognize your dad, but then an article gets printed by the AP about it. Good thing it's summer so the kids aren't in school.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Ever since Clemens threw the broken bat at Piazza's feet, I've not been able to stomach the man. Parents should stay out of the game and off the field of play, I don't care who they are. I'm glad the umpire ejected him.

BTW, how many of you think that perhaps Piazza got his revenge when he caught for Clemens in this year's All-Star game tipping the pitches?

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    Ever since Clemens threw the broken bat at Piazza's feet, I've not been able to stomach the man. Parents should stay out of the game and off the field of play, I don't care who they are. I'm glad the umpire ejected him.

BTW, how many of you think that perhaps Piazza got his revenge when he caught for Clemens in this year's All-Star game tipping the pitches?
    what? huh? what? man... I miss all the rumors and news, what happened?

As for the father act at the ballgame. Its about time they started just busting them for acting like idiots. like that poor ump gets paid enough to put up with that crap from him or any parent.

Another View Of the Same Thing!

Astros' Clemens Is Ejected From Son's Baseball Game
    Houston Star Pitcher Asked to Leave After Arguing Call With Umpire

Roger Clemens got tossed for a spitter.
    Ejected from a youth league game after his 10-year-old son was called out in a close play, Clemens was banished to the parking lot after an umpire said the Rocket spit a sunflower seed at him.

It happened Saturday in rural Craig, Colo., during a 10-and-under Triple Crown Sports tournament. The future Hall of Famer was away from the Houston Astros, as his team allows him to be when he's not pitching.

"It wasn't like he was shouting or came storming on the field, like a Mike Piazza moment," Ron Stapp, whose son made the phantom tag on Kacy Clemens on a steal attempt, said Monday.

Even so, Clemens wound up watching the rest of game from his car, peering over a fence as Kacy and the Katy (Texas) Cowboys lost to the Bakersfield (Calif.) Curve 11-5.

"I supported the umpire's decision and he respectfully left," field supervisor Jim Carpenter said.

A call to the Triple Crown coordinator for comment was not returned. Organizers did not identify the umpire.

"Roger told me he was signing autographs when the disputed call happened and didn't even see the play," said one of his agents, Randy Hendricks. "To his knowledge, no one ever asked him to leave.

"In his mind, it's a nonevent," Hendricks said.

Clemens was sitting in his own chair, behind a fence near the first base dugout, when Kacy was called out at second base in the middle innings.

Stapp's son Ryan made the tag -- "my son admitted he missed him," the dad said -- the Cowboys and their fans complained.

"But Roger never said a word," Katy manager Doug Hanson said. "He was holding his camcorder and never stood up. He didn't do anything wrong."

Hanson said the umpire, whom he described as being about 20 years old, walked over toward the bench.

"All of a sudden, I hear him say, 'He's outta here!"' Hanson said. "I asked him who because I thought it was one of my coaches. And then he says, 'Roger.'

"I couldn't believe it. I said to him, 'You just ejected Roger Clemens?' and he said, 'Yeah."'

Hanson said the umpire told him that although Clemens didn't say anything, the pitcher spit a sunflower that hit the ump's pants cuff.

"There was a pile of 250 to 300 sunflower seeds there, I don't know how the umpire knew that was the one," Hanson said.

Carpenter was then summoned from an adjacent field and said it was time for Clemens to leave the premises. At that point, Clemens simply got up and left the Loudy-Simpson complex without an argument.

"He told me it wasn't worth it, that he didn't want to be distraction and to let the boys play ball," Hanson said.

Bakersfield manager Travis Sterling said he wasn't aware that Clemens had been ejected.

"I thought Roger had just gone over to the bleachers to sign more autographs. He signed a lot of them," Sterling said.

In fact, young Ryan Stapp approached Clemens shortly after his missed tag set off the episode.

"He signed my son's ball. He was real respectful and nice," Ron Stapp said.

Bakersfield won two more games and left town with the championship and several Clemens autographs.

Clemens was in northwest Colorado because his deal with the Astros gives him personal time to watch his four boys play sports. He pitched Houston past Arizona last Wednesday, and is scheduled to start Tuesday night when the Astros host Atlanta.

Clemens is 12-3 with a 2.77 ERA while pitching for his hometown team. When he's not playing, he's often at the fields with his sons.

"He knows more about baseball in his little finger than I'll ever know, but he's been great to have around this year," Hanson said. "He doesn't ask for any special treatment because of who he is."

08-02-04 18:28 EDT

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/ar...02123909990004
    ______________________________ ______________________________ _____

Which version do you believe?

Clemens Receives Apology for Being Ejected 'Unjustly'

By BEN WALKER, AP SPORTS

NEW YORK (Aug. 5) -- Roger Clemens received an emphatic apology on Thursday for "unjustly" being ejected from his 10-year-old son's baseball game last weekend in Colorado.

David King, president of tournament organizer Triple Crown Sports, said "Mr. Clemens was a non-aggressor and a victim of mistaken identity and confusion" by an upset umpire.

Clemens was asked to leave son Kacy's game on Saturday in Craig, Colorado, when a 22-year-old ump said the Houston Astros pitcher spit a sunflower seed at him. Moments earlier, Kacy was called out on a stolen base attempt -- the fielder later admitted he missed the tag -- and the Rocket watched the rest of the contest from a parking lot.

"Mr. Clemens never raised his voice, never physically confronted our official, nor was he ever on the field of play," King said in a written statement, underlining those words.

"Mr. Clemens was unjustly asked to leave the field of play," King said. "For all of this, we apologize to Mr. Clemens."

King spoke to the future Hall of Famer by telephone to apologize personally.

"I'm pleased with their statement," Clemens said through agent Alan Hendricks before Houston played Atlanta.

Earlier this week, Clemens became upset when discussing the episode, saying, "This is a shame and it's not even an issue."

Clemens was watching the Katy (Texas) Cowboys in a 10-and-under tournament, sitting on a bucket behind a fence near the first base dugout, when Kacy was called out at second base in a game the Bakersfield (California) Curve won 11-5.

The Katy coaches and fans complained about the call, but witnesses said Clemens never said a word. The umpire came over to quiet the ruckus, and said he was hit in the pants cuff by a sunflower seed spit by Clemens.

Clemens left without an argument and said "he didn't want to be distraction and to let the boys play ball," Katy manager Doug Hanson said.

King did not identify the young umpire, but said he was a schoolteacher and in his seventh year of calling games.

He also praised Clemens for talking to the young players, parents and coaches and signing lots of autographs.

08/05/04 18:45 EDT

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/ar...05182909990008
    ______________________________ ______________________________ _____
    It appears that the second article was the "rest of the story."
    Comments?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast