+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boston trades Garciaparra

Boston trades Garciaparra

Updated: 06:58 PM EDT
    Garciaparra Sent to Cubs as Part of Four-Team Deal
    Twins' Mientkiewicz, Expos' O. Cabrera Join Red Sox

In a dizzying flurry of deals, the Boston Red Sox sent star shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to the Chicago Cubs in a blockbuster, four-team swap right before Saturday's trade deadline.

Steve Finley, Esteban Loaiza and Orlando Cabrera also switched teams in the eight trades that came less than an hour before the 4PM ET limit for making deals without waivers.

Randy Johnson, however, remained with the Arizona Diamondbacks. The New York Yankees desperately wanted him, and instead wound up trading Jose Contreras to the Chicago White Sox for Loaiza in a swap of starting pitchers.

With more than 20 teams still in the playoff hunt, a lot of clubs were eager for action. Many got busy, including those old October heartbreakers, the Red Sox and Cubs.

Garciaparra was already wearing his Boston jersey when manager Terry Francona called a team meeting before the game at Minnesota. Then, the news came inside the clubhouse: The five-time All-Star shortstop and two-time AL batting champion was headed to the Cubs.

"My initial reaction was 'wow,'" Garciaparra said.

"If it was in my control, I'd still be wearing a Red Sox uniform, because it's the place I know, I love. All of those fans, I'll always remember. But I'm also going to another great place. I'm going to a phenomenal city with great tradition as well, phenomenal fans, great organization."

And he added: "Hopefully, we'll see them in the World Series."

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry was ecstatic to get Garciaparra, in the last year of his contract and the subject of trade rumors all year.

"I think he will bring a ton to the table and a presence on the field and off," Hendry said. "You never go to work thinking he's going to be available."

Garciaparra, 31, is batting .321 with five home runs and 21 RBI in 38 games this season. He missed the first 57 games of the season with an injured Achilles tendon.

The Red Sox wound up with Cabrera, Montreal's Gold Glove shortstop, and Minnesota first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz, while the Cubs got Garciaparra and minor league outfielder Matt Murton.

Montreal acquired Cubs shortstop Alex Gonzalez, pitcher Francis Beltran and infielder Brendan Harris and the Twins got minor league pitcher Justin Jones.

The NL West-leading Dodgers were active, making three trades a day after completing a six-player deal with Florida.

After Finley agreed to accept a deal to Los Angeles, the Diamondbacks traded the four-time Gold Glove center fielder with catcher Brent Mayne. The 39-year-old Finley hit .274 with 23 home runs and 48 RBIs for Arizona.

"This gives him an opportunity to expand his horizon for the remainder of the season," Arizona GM Joe Garagiola Jr. said.

The Dodgers sent minor league catcher Koyie Hill, outfielder Reggie Abercrombie and left-hander Bill Murphy to Arizona. The Dodgers acquired Murphy on Friday in a trade with the Florida Marlins.

Los Angeles then traded center fielder Dave Roberts to Boston for minor league outfielder Henri Stanley. Earlier, the Dodgers sent left-hander reliever Tom Martin to Atlanta for minor league lefty Matt Merricks in a trade between NL division leaders.

After getting shut out on Johnson, the AL East-leading Yankees swapped the inconsistent Contreras and $3 million for Loaiza, a 21-game winner last season.

Loaiza is 9-5 with a 4.86 ERA in 21 starts this year and made his second straight All-Star appearance. He is already signed for next season.

Contreras is 8-5 with a 5.64 ERA in 18 games this season. The top pitcher in Cuba when he defected, his up-and-down tendencies perplexed and frustrated the Yankees for two years.

"This one gained steam rather quickly. This deal started probably about 10:30 or 11 o'clock," Yankees GM Brian Cashman said.

"Jose Contreras has a great deal of upside, but Loaiza was valuable for us and what we're trying to accomplish. We're looking for more consistency right now. Our bullpen needs that. Our rotation needs that," he said.

In other trades:

-- Florida acquired starting pitcher Ismael Valdez and reliever Rudy Seanez. The World Series champions sent minor league pitcher Travis Chick to San Diego for Valdez and dealt outfielder Abraham Nunez to Kansas City for Seanez.

-- AL West-leading Texas got pitcher Scott Erickson and cash from the New York Mets for a player to be named.

Starting late Saturday afternoon, teams can still make trades, but it becomes a more tricky process. Players must pass through waivers -- meaning any other club can claim them -- before a deal.

Teams have until Aug. 31 to acquire players in order for them to be eligible for the postseason.

07-31-04 18:39 EDT

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/ar...31172209990001
    ______________________________ ______________________________ _____

I guess Randy Johnson is staying put in Phoenix.

Woohoo, I love it!
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

dagwood, your Cubbies are lookin' good! Add Nomar's bat to that lineup? Wow!

I'm loving it. Now if we could only get the Cards to lose a couple so there wouldn't be that 10 1/2 game gap between first and second place.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I'm so glad the Cubs won today, and I'm so glad Nomar was able to contribute right away. He made some ridiculous defensive plays, and the ovation he got was sick.

And the fact that they beat the Phillies - one of my least favorite teams these days - makes it just that much better.

It was a good trade for the Sox too. Cabrerra will be perfect long term for them.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Agreed. Although I'd love to hear what the Sox fans here think about it. The only Red Sox fan I've talked to about it so far is just heartbroken, and said terrible things about Cabrera that cannot be repeated here. I'm thinking it was just heightened emotions, though.

I'd love to hear what the Sox fans here think about it.
    Good riddance! All the crap he's given us this year? Telling our management he may need to go on the DL in August? After missing 60 games for his bruised achille already? Turning down a $60,000,000.00 Contract? He made it clear he didn't want to be here and if he doesn't want to be here, we don't want him...

Are the Cubs gonna give him $60,000,000.00 when his contract is up this year?
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

I have no clue what the Cubs will do. They really aren't my team (I'm a Yankees fan), but since I live here, the enthusiasm is infectious. Everyone is really pumped, and it would be nice to see them do well. I like happy cities.

The Red Sox fan I was talking to seems to think that a lot changed with Nomar after he got married. He became "different" somehow. I don't know whether or not there's any merit in that idea, but this guy was convinced that she's messing him up.

BOOOOYYAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Its a great trade for the Cubs. They got a big something for not much. Hendry is the MAN! Cub fans will welcome Nomar with open arms and huge cheers. He will be the king of Chicago for awhile.

I don't know what went down betwen Nomar and the BoSox, but hopefully the change will do him, the Red Sox, and especially the Cubbies a lot of good.

Now I get to see their next three games out here in Colorado. I am so excited!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast