+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boston trades Garciaparra

I think he is mad because the Sox wanted to move him to make room for ARod (and honestly ARod plus Ordonez would have been a massive upgrade to the team). He needs to get over himself.

As for the Cubs, they have Clement, Sosa, Walker, and others in the last year of their deals, plus I believe Prior can go to arbitration this off season. Unless Nomar has a huge second half, I would wager he will not get a $60M offer from the Cubs.

Oh, I enjoyed watching the Yanks pull a panic deal and dump Contreras for a guy who will not be as good a pitcher as him by the end of this season.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I lost a lot of respect for Nomar after his antics this season.

I don't blame him at all for feeling bad about the Sox doing everything in their power to ship out "Mr. Red Sock" for Arod, especially when your teammates are on tv saying they'd rather have Arod over you. I'd be pissed too.

But I don't like a guy who goes to hockey games while his team is playing. I don't care if you're hurt; sit your a** on the bench and support your team. Also, during that July 1 game against the Yankees, he sits on the bench the whole time and not only does not even come in during the 13 innings, but doesn't even stand up next to his teammates to show that he cares even a little. You got my guy Jeter separate his shoulder last season and he was there every single game, standing up and cheering on his team. He wasn't at hockey games while his team was playing. He was also the guy diving headfirst into the stands and busting his face to save 2 runs from scoring while Nomah sat moping on the bench. And during the series with the Sox last week, Jeter is out there playing with a broken hand.

For me, having heart and playing through pain and being a leader are main factors of whether I will be a fan of an athlete. I don't care how good you are; if you're a jerk, don't hustle, get into trouble off the field, or don't show leadership or class, I'm not going to be a fan.

Anyways, sorry. Got on a roll there. I'll shut up now.

Being an Expos fan here, I like the trade. All for personal reasons of course. I love Alex! Orlando was good but nothing surprises me with this stupid franchise anymore. We don't get to keep any good players so let's get some good looking ones then. lol
    I guess I'm just so used to losing talent in this city that I try to find something to get excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaLaruefan
    Being an Expos fan....
    Wow! You are a rare breed, EvaLaruefan! What are they gonna do when the Expos move?? You might be made into a wax figure for a museum!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Wow! You are a rare breed, EvaLaruefan! What are they gonna do when the Expos move?? You might be made into a wax figure for a museum!

JR.
    While I think Nomar is a very good player, he can make you crazy with some of the things he does. He LOVES to swing at the first pitch, often times ending in a pop-up with men in scoring position. And while he does get to a lot of balls at short, his throws can be erratic. There will be a few more "lucky fans" along the first base line.

Yep...I think Derrick Lee had to scoop a couple of Nomar throws out of the dirt already.

Like I said, I don't know all of the ins and outs of his time in Boston, how he acted in the dugout or around Boston, his squabbles with management and the press, or his relationship with BoSox fans, but hopefully he will find renewed vigor with the Cubs, and the Cubs will find renewed vigor with him in the lineup. Speaking as a Cubs fan, I know I am super excited to have him on the team, and I will be standing and cheering when his name is announced at Coors Field tomorrow night.

As far as I am concerned, he's got a clean slate as a Cubbie and a Chicagoan.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

I'm sure he will - he's a great player who was absolutely miserable this season with Boston after all the off-season antics. While I don't agree with how he handled it (I believe he should have still given 110%, etc.), he is definitely going to be happy where he is wanted and I am sure will return to his past excellence. Just watching him yesterday, he seemed like a whole different person.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina

As many of you know I'm a big Red Sox fan. Nomar used to be one of my favorite players, until this year. I didn't understand why he got all upset about him being traded when his agent seemed to make it pretty clear that he either gets more money or else they should trade him. I'm sorry, but he needs to understand that this is a business.

Supposedly all this season Nomar would come to the ball club and just sit at his locker not talking to anyone. He had no friends here (which saddens me) and just seemed miserable playing for this team. I noticed none of the Red Sox players have come to his defense nor have they said it was a bad decision for him to be traded. One other rumor is Lucchino informed Nomar they were shopping him to the Cubs and needed to be upfront with his injuries. He asked Nomar (who had already sat out one day because of his heel) if he was healthy, and Nomar's response was "I am now." Interesting.

As far as getting Cabrera, Mientkiewicz, and Roberts I think it's a good move. Nomar was telling management that he was going to have to take days off here and there and also be put on the DL again in August. So basically he was going to play 40 more games for the Red Sox and then probably leave at the end of the season. Theo Epstein did what he had to to make this team better, and I completely agree with him that it was the defense. Could the Red Sox have gotten more for Nomar? Yea probably if they had made the trade before the season started. But unfortunately most teams know how desparate the Sox are to get rid of him and he's also an injured player. So three players for 40 days left of Nomar I guess is about as good as they can get.
    Who shot who in the what now?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast