+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hamilton Jr. to drive the No. 32 Chevrolet in 2005

Hamilton Jr. to drive the No. 32 Chevrolet in 2005

HICKORY, N.C. -- PPI Motorsports announced Wednesday it has signed a driver-crew chief team to helm the No. 32 Tide Chevrolet full-time in 2005: Bobby Hamilton Jr., and Harold Holly.

Hamilton Jr. currently drives the No. 25 car in the NASCAR Busch Series. He owns five Busch wins, of which four were earned with Holly as his crew chief, and finished a career-high fourth in the series in 2003, just 43 points behind champion Brian Vickers. Hamilton Jr. also has 19 Cup starts to his credit, including five to date this year in the No. 09 car.

Holly currently serves as crew chief for Hamilton Jr. and the No. 25 NASCAR Busch Series team. After joining the team, Holly quickly helped propel them to a series-best four wins in 2003 and into championship contention this season. Holly also has championship experience, having earned the 2000 NASCAR Busch Series title with the largest margin in history (616 points) as crew chief to driver Jeff Green. From 1999-2001, Holly and Green earned 13 wins, 13 poles, 56 top-fives and 72 top-10s, finishing no less than second in championship points each year. Overall, Holly has amassed 25 wins in 248 Busch series starts to date.

By signing Hamilton Jr. and Holly in tandem, Wells hopes to capture the same chemistry that has propelled the duo to four wins and championship contention in the NASCAR Busch Series.

"We are excited about Bobby's potential in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series," Wells said. "He's been a standout performer in the Busch series and has several Cup starts already to his credit, and he's definitely ready for a shot at full-time Cup racing. Harold, with his championship experience and proven ability to lead and motivate a team, is a tremendous asset to our overall organization. We expect the two to be a strong, positive force for our team and in the Cup garage."

"All I can say is I'm more than ready to go Cup racing," said Hamilton Jr., who has turned down full-time Cup rides in the past to wait for the right time in his career. "I'm excited about this chance to drive full time in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series for PPI Motorsports in the No. 32 Tide Chevrolet. What makes this even better is the chance to keep working with Harold. He's been a great leader for our Busch team and has inspired all of us to perform at our best and achieve what we set out to do. I'm also grateful to the people at Team Rensi Motorsports for giving me the opportunity to drive for them the past two seasons and wish them all the best."

"Working with PPI Motorsports represents a great opportunity for me to transition full-time into the Cup series, something I've wanted to do if the right chance came along," said Holly. "The environment is very similar to what I've been accustomed to, and I believe that Bobby and I together can find success with this team. I'm looking forward to getting started."

Both Hamilton, Jr. and Holly will begin testing under the PPI Motorsports banner later this month. Current No. 32 crew chief Mike Beam continues to serve as the team's crew chief this season and will help oversee the transition.

http://aolsvc.sports.aol.nascar.com/...005/index.html
    ______________________________ ______________________________ _____
    I've always liked this kid. His father used to live close to me when he was racing at the local track in Nashville way back when. I guess you could say he's from the 'hood.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    man, are they screwed!!!!! hamilton Jr. isn't as good as he thinks he is. He is just a cocky little turd.

+ Reply to Thread