+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surgery forces Tiger out of season opener

Surgery forces Tiger out of season opener

Surgery forces Tiger out of season opener

By Harry Blauvelt, USA TODAY

Tiger Woods will not be slipping on a victory lei at next month's Mercedes Championships in Hawaii, as he did in 1997 and 2000. He'll miss the PGA Tour's season-opening event on Maui to rehabilitate his left knee after arthroscopic surgery.

Tournament director Gary Planos got a call Dec. 12, the day of the surgery, from IMG's Mark Steinberg, Woods' agent. Steinberg said Woods would be unable to play the Jan. 9-12 event on the Plantation Course at Kapalua.

"He told me Tiger underwent surgery, and he wanted me to know before the news was released," Planos said Sunday. "All we care about is that Tiger gets well. We'll miss him. We hope he wins early in 2003, so we can plan for him to be back in 2004."

The tournament is a limited-field competition featuring only the winners from the previous year's PGA Tour events.

Woods had successful arthroscopic surgery to remove fluid inside and outside the anterior cruciate ligament. Benign cysts also were removed. A benign tumor was surgically removed from the same knee in 1994.

"I had been playing in pain most of the year and felt it was time to take care of it," Woods said on his Web site. "From what I have been told, the operation went well. I'm looking forward to a full recovery and a great start to 2003."

Last week's one-hour procedure was performed by Thomas Rosenberg at HealthSouth Surgical Center in Park City, Utah.

"The surgery was uneventful," Rosenberg said. "Progressive, full recovery is expected over the next couple of months."

Woods, who will turn 27 on Dec. 30, is expected to be off his feet 7-10 days, then start light rehabilitation. He's never before missed a tournament because of injury.

How quickly Woods' knee heals will determine when the world's No. 1 player returns to the PGA Tour. It might be the Feb. 13-16 Buick Invitational at Torrey Pines Golf Course in La Jolla, Calif. He won there in 1999.

If his knee holds up, he could remain in his native California the next two weeks and play the Nissan Open in Pacific Palisades and the Accenture Match Play Championship in Carlsbad.

The rest of his early schedule through the April 10-13 Masters, where he'll be going for a record third consecutive crown, might also include two Florida events: Bay Hill Invitational on March 20-23 in Orlando as defending champ and The Players Championship on March 27-30 in Ponte Vedra Beach.

Although Woods was bothered by inflammation in his left knee most of 2002, he won six times worldwide. His five PGA Tour victories included The Masters and the U.S. Open. He became the first golfer since Jack Nicklaus in 1972 to win those two major championships in the same year.

He had the knee examined after the Tour Championship and reported inflammation, which he treated with ice and anti-inflammatory drugs.

Woods then played three consecutive weeks. He finished eighth in Japan, won the PGA Grand Slam of Golf in Hawaii with rounds of 66-61 for a 14-stroke victory, won four skins in the Skins Game to finish last, and was runner-up last week in the Target World Challenge.

During the final round, he was limping badly after hitting out of thick rough from an uphill lie on the ninth hole. Asked whether he was hurt, Woods replied, "Same old thing."

Woods has been relatively injury-free since turning professional in 1996. He had a stinger in his left wrist when he tried to hit through a softball-sized rock at the 1999 Tour Championship in Houston.

He also sprained ligaments in his left knee at the 2001 Pebble Beach National Pro-Am when a fan accidentally tripped him up while trying to get an autograph. Woods had a sore Achilles' tendon during the U.S. Open that year at Southern Hills.

Woods has won the Mercedes twice, including a duel with Ernie Els in 2000 when matched eagles on the 72nd hole and birdied the first playoff hole before Woods won with a 40-foot birdie putt on the second extra hole.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Hmmmmm, wow! makes my L-5 buldging disc in my lower back seem trivial

and I thought the knee I have been nursing for the last 27 years was too, maybe I should have had orthro done on it in 87 like I had scheduled, it would have inproved my game then
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

I know that no one here except Bill and I are into golf, but just a reminder that the PGA season kicks off today at 7pm Eastern on ESPN.

Excellent! And you and Bill aren't the only ones....
    Let us all bask in television's warm glowing warming glow. --Homer Simpson

Yay, another duffer! Come, join the extremely small circle by the fire.

Oh yeah, did I mention that a VERY old friend of mine is going to be writing a weekly golf article for the site? His computer is a little fried right now, but look for it hopefully soon.

Excellent! I look forward to that article John.

StepScot, welcome to the home of the secretly cool people of the FORT
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Originally posted by Bill_in_PDX
    Excellent! I look forward to that article John.

StepScot, welcome to the home of the secretly cool people of the FORT
    I've finally made it!
    Let us all bask in television's warm glowing warming glow. --Homer Simpson

*ahem* been flogging the course since I was 15 years old, just that since I work second shift, I have no one to shoot a round with now a days.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

That's right, Ilikai, we were going to meet in Indiana to play a round, right? Maybe this spring.

And one of my golf partners works second shift now, so we never get to go. Once in a great while on a weekend.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast